An Old School Catholic Message Board

What's The Most Recent Book You've Read?

Saint Therese

In Progress: Revelations of Divine Love by Julian of Norwich. Lovely.

Prior to that, ermm... Lonely Planet's Guide to Hawai'i, the Big Island. Was for a review but, dang, I want to order some plane tickets right now. :cold:

Spook Country by William Gibson.

It was okay. I probably wouldn't read it, again, though he's skillful enough. It just didn't really engage me.

The next book I'm going to read is my own. I've got to go to a Catholic Women's League book club meeting in 3 weeks, and I hate these things. Someone invariable asks me about something I forget I included, so I'm going to actually read the thing to remind myself of the stuff that's in it. I dread it.

:lol: Hahaha, Catherine!

Next? Hmm. Depends on how Amazon ships, but probably [i]Lamentation[/i] by Ken Scholes. (Another one for review.)

I hope I like it since I'm going to a writing retreat with him in a few weeks.

Saint Therese

i forgot to mention that I'm slowly reading [i][b]Lift Up Your Hearts [/b][/i]by Fulton Sheen. Its all about ego, self, the proper place of pleasure, self discipline,etc. Its great.

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1735842' date='Dec 26 2008, 01:28 PM']Sounds interesting, is it good?[/quote]

So far it has been great, and really eye opening. Since this is my first relationship, I had a bunch of pre-conceived notions about marriage that turned out to be completely wrong. Society can really skew what our expectations are. For example, I always thought that in a marriage, things were supposed to or would eventually cool, and we hadn't hit that yet. We both thought that was what was destined to happen, and were kind of waiting for the shoe to drop. After reading just the first few chapters, we've discovered that just isn't what happens in a real marriage based on intimacy instead of eroticism. Pope Benedict is so right about how our society is trivializing sex to the point that we are threatening our own existence. One of the things I stress when teaching RCIA is that if people on the street really knew what we had inside our church doors, they would pound them down to get inside. I think that if people living lives of degraded sexuality knew what a true sacramental marriage could give them, the same thing would happen.

Saint Therese

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1735860' date='Dec 26 2008, 03:11 PM']So far it has been great, and really eye opening. Since this is my first relationship, I had a bunch of pre-conceived notions about marriage that turned out to be completely wrong. Society can really skew what our expectations are. For example, I always thought that in a marriage, things were supposed to or would eventually cool, and we hadn't hit that yet. We both thought that was what was destined to happen, and were kind of waiting for the shoe to drop. After reading just the first few chapters, we've discovered that just isn't what happens in a real marriage based on intimacy instead of eroticism. Pope Benedict is so right about how our society is trivializing sex to the point that we are threatening our own existence. One of the things I stress when teaching RCIA is that if people on the street really knew what we had inside our church doors, they would pound them down to get inside. I think that if people living lives of degraded sexuality knew what a true sacramental marriage could give them, the same thing would happen.[/quote]

That's awesome! And I agree.

JM + JT

The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams.

It was short and sweet. Perfect for a project.

Don't want to ruin the ending for others, but yea... other than that it was actually quite interesting. Great symbolism.

Fr. Antony Maria OSB

I just finished The Book Thief, which was one of the best books I ever read in my life, and am currently reading The Shack, which is really interesting...portrays God in a very different way, so we shall see what I think about it when I'm done. It is a good read so far, though.