Livin_the_MASS Posted March 16, 2004 Posted March 16, 2004 I was wondering if anyone has read Scott Hahn's new book "Scripture Matters". He talks in one part of the book about Johns Gospel. He points out how John always writes of Jesus' Hour. When He sums it all up it = the Mass. It's a good book. Holy Mass lasts about an hour, give or take a few. It's pretty cool how he breaks it down though.
littleflower+JMJ Posted March 17, 2004 Posted March 17, 2004 i need to buy scott hahn books so i can read them.
Carson Weber Posted March 17, 2004 Posted March 17, 2004 Jason, isn't that cool? It was actually published a while back in Envoy Magazine in his insert entitled [i]Scripture Matters[/i] before some of them were compiled and published by Emmaus Road here in Steubenville as a book. He gave this same explanation at a Bible study he held one semester in his basement, and I recorded it with my digital audo player, so if anyone is interested in listening to this little study on the Gospel of John (with some cool anecdotes), check it out: [url="http://www.flagstop.com/temp/Dr_Hahn_Bible_Study_Liturgy_09-17-02_Q&A_Spirit_Truth_Sacrifice.mp3"]http://www.flagstop.com/temp/Dr_Hahn_Bible...h_Sacrifice.mp3[/url]
geo Posted March 17, 2004 Posted March 17, 2004 I've been reading that book. It sits in between my car seats so I can read it when I have to wait in the car.
Livin_the_MASS Posted March 17, 2004 Author Posted March 17, 2004 [quote]Jason, isn't that cool? It was actually published a while back in Envoy Magazine in his insert entitled Scripture Matters before some of them were compiled and published by Emmaus Road here in Steubenville as a book.[/quote] Ya!, I was blessed to meet him, thats when I got the book. The start of the book was a little hadder, Theology you have to slow down and read it a few times(for me at least). But I like how he takes the C.C.C. and talks about the reading of Scripture with the (fourfold) sense. Got to, Got to, Got to, no other way!!! Good book man, I got things highlighted, pages marked it's a gold mine. God Bless You!!!
Livin_the_MASS Posted March 17, 2004 Author Posted March 17, 2004 [quote]I've been reading that book. It sits in between my car seats so I can read it when I have to wait in the car.[/quote] Cool keep it up man, he has a lot of other good books out to like "Hail Holy Queen, The Lamb's Supper, First Comes Love." There all good, keep it up. May the Holy Spirit Bless you in your studies! God Bless You!!!
Livin_the_MASS Posted March 17, 2004 Author Posted March 17, 2004 [quote]i need to buy scott hahn books so i can read them.[/quote] (www.ewtn.com) has all of them I think? Check it out!!!
mom25angels Posted March 17, 2004 Posted March 17, 2004 I've bought and given away at least 3 Rome Sweet Home books--mostly to reverts! Currently I am reading Hail, Holy Queen. Sarah
Ellenita Posted March 17, 2004 Posted March 17, 2004 I've just finished reading Hail, Holy Queen - it's a wonderful, wonderful book, and an absolute must for anyone converting from a protestant background! Most protestant's would argue that the catholic understanding of Mary has no basis in the bible and Scott Hahn completely demolishes this argument in this book. I think he is also an excellent writer, very intelligent but easily accessible. Spread the word about Hail, Holy Queen....everyone should own a copy!
homeschoolmom Posted March 17, 2004 Posted March 17, 2004 [quote name='Ellenita' date='Mar 17 2004, 02:47 AM'] Spread the word about Hail, Holy Queen....everyone should own a copy! [/quote] hehehe... I just finished "Hail, Holy Queen" also. It is a quick read (I'm guessing all of his books are, based on his writing style). I think I'll get "Scripture Matters" next.
hopeful1 Posted March 19, 2004 Posted March 19, 2004 i've decided if i ever become a theology teacher in a catholic high school, the first thing i'm going to do is throw out the textbooks and have my class read scott hahn (WHY DID MY TEACHERS NEVER MENTION HIM!)
Jericho923 Posted March 19, 2004 Posted March 19, 2004 i know!!! i would have never left the Church if i had learned from his writings! But hey! God brought me back beginning with "Rome Sweet Home"!!! Is he still teaching at Steubenville? and where can i get this new book?
Laudate_Dominum Posted March 19, 2004 Posted March 19, 2004 He still teaches at Steubenville. I think you can get his book from Emmaus Road Publishing or from Amazon.com [url="https://www.emmausroad.org/shopnew/shopexd.asp?id=121"]https://www.emmausroad.org/shopnew/shopexd.asp?id=121[/url] God bless.
Laudate_Dominum Posted March 19, 2004 Posted March 19, 2004 [quote name='hopeful1' date='Mar 18 2004, 10:23 PM'] i've decided if i ever become a theology teacher in a catholic high school, the first thing i'm going to do is throw out the textbooks and have my class read scott hahn (WHY DID MY TEACHERS NEVER MENTION HIM!) [/quote] Amen! I've wondered that myself. There is so much sweet stuff out there, the Fathers and Doctors of the Church, etc.. And yet so many schools use the lamest books for Theology classes. Pretty weird. A friend of mine showed me his texts for a Christology class he's taking at a Catholic school and on of the books is by a liberal protestant and the other is by a "catholic" but after I flipped through the book for a while and examined the bibliography and index and I was thinking, "it wasn't long ago that this book would have been on the index", if you know what I mean.
hopeful1 Posted March 19, 2004 Posted March 19, 2004 [quote name='Jericho923' date='Mar 18 2004, 11:25 PM'] i know!!! i would have never left the Church if i had learned from his writings! But hey! God brought me back beginning with "Rome Sweet Home"!!! Is he still teaching at Steubenville? and where can i get this new book? [/quote] i have a friend that's studying at stubie right now and asked him the same question. according to him, Hahn is still over there. he's never had him as a prof. tho, but i imagine trying to get into his class is like trying to get into a english (lit?) class taught by Maya Angelou at Boston U.
annie Posted March 20, 2004 Posted March 20, 2004 Don't forget "A Father Who Keeps His Promises" - a good one! He and his wife are also excellent speakers, (I am lucky, we live just west of Chicago and he gets here often)..
Colleen Posted March 20, 2004 Posted March 20, 2004 I have heard him speak twice. He's excellent! Both he and his wife are wonderful.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now