An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should I Get A Regular Job While Inquiring Into Vocations?

foolishmortal

It totally depends on your situation. If you have responsabilities that would require you to have a stable income then, definately yes. If you are a student living at home, then it might not be a bad idea to work a little and save some money, especially if you are required to have an education for a religious order/seminary.

[quote name='foolishmortal' post='1749630' date='Jan 12 2009, 04:19 PM']Thanks![/quote]

I would definitely advise you to get a job, if you are able. If you are discerning a vocation to the priesthood or religious life, it will give you the "real world" experience most all communities are looking for. :D God bless you!

Why would you not seek a job? Because you are just going to quit when you enter? Well, if you are still discerning, and have no concrete plans to enter a particular community in the near future....then how are you going to support yourself over the next year or so while waiting for that to work out? You can worry about quitting when the time comes.

In other words, I can see why getting a job is a hassle if it's just a temporary situation, but for longer term, it's probably better to get one. Yes, it can be a nuisance to get time off to go visit communities, but it is generally a mistake to think that discernment means the rest of your life comes screeching to a halt.

You haven't really mentioned anything about yourself or your situation, so maybe you have valid reasons for not seeking a job at this time. But...until you share them with us....

foolishmortal

I didn't want to be like, after a few weeks at a job, "Ok, I got accepted. Bye!" I'd done that before (except I got an offer at another job I wanted more and not a vocation) and felt bad about it.
Some vocations are mostly contemplative. I'm 33 and have had various job experience.
I hear that if you are discerning a vocation, you should not be dating. I wonder the same about having a regular day job as well, as it could lure you away from work and a life that is God's Will, if a vocation is His will. I'm tired of living in "the World" and have looked into communities in the past.

Applying doesn't work like jobs and so I feel I should get a job if I live at home. If I lived outside home, I would definitely need one.

Thanks!

[quote name='MithLuin' post='1749645' date='Jan 12 2009, 04:38 PM']Why would you not seek a job? Because you are just going to quit when you enter? Well, if you are still discerning, and have no concrete plans to enter a particular community in the near future....then how are you going to support yourself over the next year or so while waiting for that to work out? You can worry about quitting when the time comes.

In other words, I can see why getting a job is a hassle if it's just a temporary situation, but for longer term, it's probably better to get one. Yes, it can be a nuisance to get time off to go visit communities, but it is generally a mistake to think that discernment means the rest of your life comes screeching to a halt.

You haven't really mentioned anything about yourself or your situation, so maybe you have valid reasons for not seeking a job at this time. But...until you share them with us....[/quote]

I see what you are saying. But I doubt they would mind if you got a job now and then joined an order in August 2010 ;).

I can only give you the advice my dad gave my sister. She was convinced she had a vocation to religious life, and it was just a matter of discerning which order. So, she wanted to quit her job and put her effort into visiting groups so she could enter as soon as possible.

He told her that she could certainly do that - but it wouldn't hurt to continue working while doing that. Quitting your job (or not seeking a new one) because of nebulous plans for the future doesn't make sense. If you have a date to enter set already, well then yes, you'll have to quit then. But if you haven't looked into groups yet and don't have a plan to enter anywhere....get a job.

She has been able to keep her schedule flexible enough that she has gone on international mission trips and visited orders on long weekends while continuing to work as a nurse at a hospital.

It takes time to meet an order and then actually get an application together. If you are just beginning that process...there is no harm in having a job. At least, I don't think so. And there is some danger in not having one, if that will encourage you to 'drift' too much and not stay focused on your goal of getting out of 'the world.'

For what it's worth, our community would prefer anyone discerning with us to have a regular job rather than to have stopped working. It is an indicator of seriousness of purpose and humility. As the recession bites, holding a job down is going to become harder; so if you've already got a job, maybe think twice before laying it aside.

Sister Rose Therese

Also, it may take some time to find the right community for you. And then the application process itself may take some time. The religious community might want references from your employer or a teacher.
If I were you I would get a job. But perhaps, if your concerned about leaving and what not, you might look for something with a bit less responsibility or with a more flexible schedule. So that you will be able to really take time to pray and to visit different communities.

the lords sheep

I agree with everyone who is saying get a job. It's honestly been one of the best things for my discernment. I've learned a lot about myself and about working with different people (which you will do as a Religious! One of my Sister friends said "you choose the order, but you don't choose whose in it!" Basically you have to be able to coincide well with lots of different people.)
Having a job also shows maturity: you are willing to 1. take care of yourself and 2. balance your life so as to discern while working. You will also be able to witness to your coworkers about your vocation and what the religious life really means when you quit to enter.
If you already have an entrance date in the near future, talk to the vocation directress, but if you have more than 2 months, you may as well get a job. At the very least, you should find somewhere to volunteer regularly, so that you are not wasting your time. You will have the rest of your life to be in the cloister (and to do it the right way!) For now, live in your present vocation and practice being in the world and not of it.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

The catechism says that work gives us dignity and we should be doing something that employs us. I think it is good to find employment to prepare for the worst if anything should happen. Volunteering is also a good route to go if you feel that you are financially secure or if there is not much time.

i'm working part time and i hope to enter a community by September. i could be working full time and/or taking classes, but my situation is very specific. everyone's situation is so vastly different and so unique that only you and your spiritual director know what would be best for you. generally it's good to be either working and/or schooling at least a little.

for example, one discerner may have all his debt paid, work very little, live with parents, be volunteering most of his time or in prayer while preparing to be a hermit soon, while another discerner may have thousands in student loans and credit card debt, work full time, live alone, and be preparing for the diocesan priesthood in a few years. health can be a factor.. waiting for documents to clear, waiting to sell homes, waiting for legal issues?

in my experience the diocese put more emphasis on your work, schooling, and living experience compared to the contemplatives, probably to see how responsible and committed you are. i suspect because the diocesan priest's life more closely resembles that of a professional in the world, so they want to make sure you can handle it. contemplative life surely demands the same, but in much different circumstances.

i find it helps to sit down and do some goal setting and schedule planning. most importantly, talk to your spiritual director, vocation director(s), and take it to holy hour!