Giolla Posted January 14, 2009 Author Posted January 14, 2009 [quote name='princessgianna' post='1750640' date='Jan 13 2009, 09:30 PM']I see what you are saying and hopefully as he continues to learn about the Truth-he'll be more open to accept the fullness of the Truth which of course is in the Catholic Church. Prayers for you and your brother! princessgianna[/quote] Right. Thanks for the prayers
Guest nvzbl Posted January 14, 2009 Posted January 14, 2009 (edited) [quote name='Selah' post='1750635' date='Jan 13 2009, 08:27 PM']When we say "fullness of the faith" we are talking about the Eucharist...we believe in Transubstansiation, that the elements of bread and wine become the body and blood of Christ "our spiritual food and drink." I'm sorry, but Non-denominational Churches lack the Real Presence of Christ in their communion. It is merely a symbol to them. Does this mean they are not Christians? No. It simply means that they lack something that was meant to be so much more than just a symbol. Yes, Jesus is everywhere...but, he is specifically there in the Eucharist, just as the Omnipresent Father was specifically in the Ark of the Covanent.[/quote] Cool- im about to take this thread to the debate table..im already aggravated as it is.... (wiki:) Omni: is used most commonly as an English prefix meaning "all". (all people, all tribes, all nations, all tongues) No. There was not always a Eucharist. There was always God, tho. The only thing a protestant is missing is Catholicism and the only thing Catholicism is missing is open-mindedness and diversity. We must come together one day by the very intentional will of God . Not [i]just as Catholics[/i] but as [b]Gods children[/b] in being a GOOD CHRISTIAN we should be contentious of other unions that also Glorify God. God never said, just blue-eyed people can come unto me. And without that single factor- (yep-im gonna preach it to ya again and again and again) CATHOLICISM WAS NEVER MENTIONED IN THE BIBLE -is going to be the foundation rejected and rejected. But GOD as the single stone you carelessly forget to mention CAN NEVER BE REJECTED. A FOUNDATION GOD BUILT ON FORSAKING HUMILITY AND PRIDE DEMONSTRATING THE GIFT OF GIVING HIMSELF TO US....A GIFT OF FORGIVENESS......SO THAT HIS WILL BE DONE! Edited January 14, 2009 by nvzbl
Selah Posted January 14, 2009 Posted January 14, 2009 (edited) [quote]Cool- im about to take this thread to the debate table..im already aggravated as it is....[/quote] I'm sorry you are aggravated, but I'm not going to sugar coat what I believe... [quote]No. There was not always a Eucharist. There was always God, tho.[/quote] I don't think you quite understand what the Eucharist is. It is the miracle of the bread and wine becoming the body and blood of Christ. It was instituted by Christ Himself. It is not something to be taken lightly, or seen as a "symbol". It's a very real miracle, a gift to us from God. I could easily say, "there was not always an Ark of the Covanent". But did that take away the importance of it? Of course not. It is one of the most sacred vessels on earth. The Eucharist is our life-blood. It's heaven on earth. Why would you want something else knowing this? [quote]CATHOLICISM WAS NEVER MENTIONED IN THE BIBLE[/quote] Neither is "Bible". Or "Trinity". Or "Baptist" (or any other denomination for that matter). Or "Altar Call". Just because it isn't in the Bible doesn't mean it isn't legitimate. I suggest you calm down and stop writing in all caps Edited January 14, 2009 by Selah
Giolla Posted January 14, 2009 Author Posted January 14, 2009 [quote name='nvzbl' post='1750652' date='Jan 13 2009, 09:40 PM']Cool- im about to take this thread to the debate table..im already aggravated as it is.... (wiki:) Omni: is used most commonly as an English prefix meaning "all". (all people, all tribes, all nations, all tongues) No. There was not always a Eucharist. There was always God, tho. The only thing a protestant is missing is Catholicism and the only thing Catholicism is missing is open-mindedness and diversity. We must come together one day by the very intentional will of God . Not [i]just as Catholics[/i] but as [b]Gods children[/b] in being a GOOD CHRISTIAN we should be contentious of other unions that also Glorify God. God never said, just blue-eyed people can come unto me. And without that single factor- (yep-im gonna preach it to ya again and again and again) CATHOLICISM WAS NEVER MENTIONED IN THE BIBLE -is going to be the foundation rejected and rejected. But GOD as the single stone you carelessly forget to mention CAN NEVER BE REJECTED. A FOUNDATION GOD BUILT ON FORSAKING HUMILITY AND PRIDE DEMONSTRATING THE GIFT OF GIVING HIMSELF TO US....A GIFT OF FORGIVENESS......SO THAT HIS WILL BE DONE![/quote] Hold Up! Lets put on the breaks. Catholics are open minded! Before you pick apart the faith do some research. I understand what the others are saying they are just giving me advice to give my brother where you are about to fail at dissecting the the RC faith.
MithLuin Posted January 14, 2009 Posted January 14, 2009 Uh, Selah, I agree with you and everything, but I do feel the need to point out... ...John the Baptist is totally in the Bible. Agreed, though, on the rest of the list, and the point of it. [b]nvzbl[/b], as Catholics, we talk about God a lot. Please don't mistakenly think we missed the point of Christianity. As for this thread - would you want to be able to attend church with your brother and share your faith in Christ with him? Well, so does [b]Giolla[/b], which is why everyone here is so encouraging in hoping his brother will become Catholic - but also [i]*thrilled*[/i] that he has begun going to church.
Selah Posted January 14, 2009 Posted January 14, 2009 [quote]...John the Baptist is totally in the Bible[/quote] I suppose I meant the denomination... *fixes*
eagle_eye222001 Posted January 14, 2009 Posted January 14, 2009 [quote name='nvzbl' post='1750652' date='Jan 13 2009, 08:40 PM']...CATHOLICISM WAS NEVER MENTIONED IN THE BIBLE ...[/quote] No, you never see the word "Catholic" appear in the bible, however that is because the term did not come to use until after all the books had been written. Keep in mind the Bible was brought together by the Catholic Church. It didn't just appear. Also by your argument, the Trinity doesn't exist, neither does the Incarnation, etc. Not sure if you believe in either, but by your past logic on Catholicism, you have to toss those out as well. ---------------- Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/chris+cornell/track/you+know+my+name"]Chris Cornell - You Know My Name[/url] via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]
Guest nvzbl Posted January 14, 2009 Posted January 14, 2009 dont sugar coat nothing- but i wont either i know EXACTLY what the EUCHARIST is. (I CAN WRITE HOWEVER I WANT BTW) thnx for wasting your time explaining it to me tho. but youre swirving your meanings tho. for ie; God is the Eucharist. QUOTE: JUST BCUZ IT IZNT IN THA BIBLE DOESNT MEAN IT ISNT LEGITIMATE. SWIRVE: True, yet not so effective in establishing a basis for an open and honest opposing view. Why: bcuz youre right it doesnt make it any of the less legitimate. But it doesnt trump everything else.\ GOD DOES.
Guest nvzbl Posted January 14, 2009 Posted January 14, 2009 (edited) ITS OKAY FOR ANYONE TO GO TO ANY GOOD CHRISTIAN CHURCH. plain and simple. Edited January 14, 2009 by nvzbl
Guest nvzbl Posted January 14, 2009 Posted January 14, 2009 (edited) ITS OKAY FOR ANYONE TO GO TO ANY GOOD CHRISTIAN CHURCH. plain and simple. Edited January 14, 2009 by nvzbl
CatherineM Posted January 14, 2009 Posted January 14, 2009 [quote name='Giolla' post='1750638' date='Jan 13 2009, 07:27 PM']I'm firmly grounded in the faith. I'm even going through discernment to become a priest. But what he needs is an easy going atmosphere where he can listen to the gospel. as I said I'm strictly Catholic but he needs to be eased in. I don't think this was directed to me.[/quote] Oh no, I definitely wasn't directing that at you. I understand exactly what you are attempting to do with your brother.
Guest nvzbl Posted January 14, 2009 Posted January 14, 2009 [quote name='CatherineM' post='1750675' date='Jan 13 2009, 09:02 PM']Oh no, I definitely wasn't directing that at you. I understand exactly what you are attempting to do with your brother.[/quote] then again maybe i took what everyone said wrong too tho...
Giolla Posted January 14, 2009 Author Posted January 14, 2009 Ok this slightly of topic and I should probably bring this to another board. My brother has celiac diseases (he cannot digest wheat it might kill him) If he converts to the Catholic faith how will he recieve the Eucharist. As far as I know the bread has to be made from wheat and Priest's cannot use rice crackers.
homeschoolmom Posted January 14, 2009 Posted January 14, 2009 [quote name='Giolla' post='1750721' date='Jan 13 2009, 09:24 PM']Ok this slightly of topic and I should probably bring this to another board. My brother has celiac diseases (he cannot digest wheat it might kill him) If he converts to the Catholic faith how will he recieve the Eucharist. As far as I know the bread has to be made from wheat and Priest's cannot use rice crackers.[/quote] He can receive under the species of wine.
CatherineM Posted January 14, 2009 Posted January 14, 2009 [quote name='Giolla' post='1750721' date='Jan 13 2009, 08:24 PM']Ok this slightly of topic and I should probably bring this to another board. My brother has celiac diseases (he cannot digest wheat it might kill him) If he converts to the Catholic faith how will he recieve the Eucharist. As far as I know the bread has to be made from wheat and Priest's cannot use rice crackers.[/quote] One of my RCIA students 2 years ago has that. The whole soul and divinity of the Eucharist is present in both species. She goes up to receive communion, and does the hand over her heart thing for the host, and then receives from the cup. She didn't have it that bad, and did receive the host at the Easter Vigil. She said she'd pay for it, but it was worth it, but it wasn't necessary.
MithLuin Posted January 14, 2009 Posted January 14, 2009 [quote name='nvzbl' post='1750676' date='Jan 13 2009, 10:03 PM'] then again maybe i took what everyone said wrong too tho...[/quote] Always possible.... Let's start again then, shall we? Going to church = good. I am thrilled for [b]Giolla[/b]'s brother, that he has become a Christian and started attending a church. I think that is really good news. I understand why you were originally upset by this thread. Someone posted to say his brother had started going to church, and everyone offered to pray for him to become Catholic. Thing is...it wasn't meant as a dis on the church he was currently attending. Prayers for a new convert are always good (that he will continue attending Church, that he will get to know Jesus better, etc.) But yes, Catholics think they have the fullness of truth. This means that while you can have a wonderful relationship with God and receive his graces in other churches, there are some graces that you will only find in the Catholic church - for instance, the Eucharist. We do not view our church as one denomination among many, we view it as the one, holy, catholic and apostolic church started by Jesus. We KNOW other Christians don't agree with us on this! And we also know that we are all Christians - we all have the same faith in Jesus. That is what we share. If you would like to start a topic in the Debate Table about the different Christian communities, you are welcome to.
havok579257 Posted January 14, 2009 Posted January 14, 2009 I think its great he is going to a christian church. Its better than going to no church at all. Just becoming a christian is so much better than not being a christian. So just getting him to church, a christian church is a good thing.
Guest nvzbl Posted January 14, 2009 Posted January 14, 2009 (edited) No, i find it hard to word myself the way i want to sometime too. (I) just personally find nothing wrong with anyone going to another church. But i also understand defending the Catholic Church. and God is also right now showing me why. I dont think what i had said was wrong. But i'm also at the same time trying to introduce to the world that there is more possible for us than we could ever imagine. And i think everyday we all learn more and more from each other. i kno i do too. Edited January 14, 2009 by nvzbl
aalpha1989 Posted January 14, 2009 Posted January 14, 2009 [quote name='Giolla' post='1750721' date='Jan 13 2009, 09:24 PM']Ok this slightly of topic and I should probably bring this to another board. My brother has celiac diseases (he cannot digest wheat it might kill him) If he converts to the Catholic faith how will he recieve the Eucharist. As far as I know the bread has to be made from wheat and Priest's cannot use rice crackers.[/quote] I know two people with celiac. They both receive communion... the bread does have to be made from wheat, but people with celiac may receive hosts made with .01% gluten and they are fine.
dUSt Posted January 14, 2009 Posted January 14, 2009 nvzbl, Since the Eucharist is Jesus, and since Jesus is God, the Eucharist is God. You are right to say as long as we have God we are okay. You know as well as me that the only church that has the Eucharist is the Catholic Church. Of course it is better to go to a non-denominational or other Christian church rather than no church at all--but shouldn't we be trying to get everyone into the Catholic Church so they can not only experience God spiritually, but also physically? God came to this earth as a [b]physical [/b]person in Jesus for a reason. He also gives himself in the Eucharist [b]physically[/b] for a reason. If you do not think it is important that we have the Eucharist, then the same argument can be made by non-Christians that it is not important to have Jesus. You see?
Recommended Posts