An Old School Catholic Message Board

Interim Administrator For Oakland Diocese Allowed Homosexual Marriages

cappie

You're about as likely to get prayers from him as from Judas Iscariot...

Just read his life's story:
[url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12043b.htm"]http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12043b.htm[/url]

Edited by Resurrexi

I sense some hostility on your part; so, I will pray that you receive the divine energy of peace from the Holy Spirit, who proceeds ([i]ekporeusis[/i]) from the Father alone.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1775703' date='Feb 8 2009, 01:15 AM']You're about as likely to get prayers from him as from Judas Iscariot...

Just read his life's story:
[url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12043b.htm"]http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12043b.htm[/url][/quote]
I've read Fr. Dvornik's book on St. Photios the Great, and its content is not only far deeper than what the old Catholic Encyclopedia article contains, but it also takes into account information that was not available in the early 20th century.

God grant you many happy years.

Saint Therese

As much as I recognize and respect all clergy, and especially all bishops as representatives of Christ, I have to acknowledge that the Church in America is consumed with worldiness.
No one seems to talk about this.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1775711' date='Feb 8 2009, 01:34 AM']Does that change his being a schismatic?[/quote]
That was the point of Fr. Dvornik's book. St. Photios' theology is perfectly orthodox, and it is in fact required that Eastern Catholics accept it as such, because to reject it would involve rejecting the teachings of all the Eastern Fathers, both before and after the time of St. Photios.

I doubt that you have much knowledge of Eastern theology.

:not touching the Photios issue with a ten foot pole:... needless to say, there's a little ambiguity about who Eastern Catholics in union with Rome recognize as saints... and I imagine Rome's in no hurry to say anything on that matter so you're both prolly going to have to agree to disagree :ninja:

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1775713' date='Feb 8 2009, 02:38 AM']As much as I recognize and respect all clergy, and especially all bishops as representatives of Christ, I have to acknowledge that the Church in America is consumed with worldiness.
No one seems to talk about this.[/quote]

I will, and do all the time. Can you imagine how hard it must be to be a priest or bishop near San Francisco? I grew up where Catholics were outnumbered, but living in San Francisco would be like being under constant attack.

It's all the US Military's fault. The Army used the Presidio and the Navy used Treasure Island to house those that were being discharged from the service for being homosexual from WWII until after Vietnam. These guys would get released in San Francisco, and many would be too humiliated to go home, so they stayed.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1775880' date='Feb 8 2009, 02:38 PM']I will, and do all the time. Can you imagine how hard it must be to be a priest or bishop near San Francisco? I grew up where Catholics were outnumbered, but living in San Francisco would be like being under constant attack.[/quote]
I was thinking about that today.
It would be ridiculously hard to live and preach in SF and not succumb to a compromising of one's faith as a way to avoid becoming "the enemy".

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1776633' date='Feb 8 2009, 10:35 PM']I was thinking about that today.
It would be ridiculously hard to live and preach in SF and not succumb to a compromising of one's faith as a way to avoid becoming "the enemy".[/quote]+J.M.J.+
not to mention the constant ridicule you would receive at home, and at work, and probably at church too. :ohno:

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1775715' date='Feb 8 2009, 04:44 AM']:not touching the Photios issue with a ten foot pole:... needless to say, there's a little ambiguity about who Eastern Catholics in union with Rome recognize as saints... and I imagine Rome's in no hurry to say anything on that matter so you're both prolly going to have to agree to disagree :ninja:[/quote]

St. Photios and others are in liturgical calenders published by Rome for Greek Catholics, I do believe.