An Old School Catholic Message Board

Protestants

Livin_the_MASS

the lumberjack

its better...but if I wanted articles, I would ask for articles.

well, thanks anyways, but as I've said before...if it takes my whole life, I'll continue to validate all that I'm taught for myself...it doesn't go against the Bible...or the Church of God.

[quote]You are Peter is not only a recognition of Peter's more Roman name, but it is a promise of God's work in Peter - Peter is, and will be a rock, and God will transform his naturally extreme character into something solid and reliable
The words this rock have been the source of much controversy; it is best to see them as referring to either Jesus Himself (perhaps Jesus gesturing to Himself as He said this), or as referring to Peter's confession of who Jesus is[/quote]

From John 1: 40-42 we can see that Jesus was going to make Peter the rock without Peter having to confess anything. Jesus just takes a look at him.

40 Andrew, the brother of Simon Peter, was one of the two who heard John and followed Jesus.
41 He first found his own brother Simon and told him, "We have found the Messiah" (which is translated Anointed).
42 Then he brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him and said, "You are Simon the son of John; you will be called Kephas" (which is translated Peter).

the name PETER did not exist until Jesus said YOU ARE PETER AND UPON THIS ROCK I WILL BUILD MY CHURCH. so it couldn't have been some sort of recognition of a roman name