BG45 Posted February 28, 2009 Author Posted February 28, 2009 It's funny, in RCIA the other night we were sitting around before class we were amicably chatting about what we do after Easter and John that co-teaches with Father goes, "So one thing we'll discuss is the story of Saint Maximillian Kolbe since he's so relatively modern". I could've died heh, given the Novena and everything...
Winchester Posted February 28, 2009 Posted February 28, 2009 (edited) St. Maximilian [img]http://danefield.com/alpha/forums/uploads/monthly_12_2007/post-545-1196715405.gif[/img] Edited February 28, 2009 by Winchester
Nihil Obstat Posted February 28, 2009 Posted February 28, 2009 [quote name='BG45' post='1793262' date='Feb 27 2009, 11:10 PM']It's funny, in RCIA the other night we were sitting around before class we were amicably chatting about what we do after Easter and John that co-teaches with Father goes, "So one thing we'll discuss is the story of Saint Maximillian Kolbe since he's so relatively modern". I could've died heh, given the Novena and everything...[/quote] He's hands down my favourite saint. I think maybe you can tell, what with never having changed my avatar.
MissyP89 Posted February 28, 2009 Posted February 28, 2009 Oh, worth noting too: Just because you take one saint doesn't mean you won't have just as close a bond with the other, or others. So don't sweat over the decision as if it were life-or-death. (I hate making this analogy, but it's like starting off with, say, Hekate and realizing you're more of a Brighid kind of person. That's okay. )
Nihil Obstat Posted February 28, 2009 Posted February 28, 2009 I was a dumb kid when I got confirmed. I picked St Joseph because my name is already Joseph and I didn't want to work very hard. Going back I'd pick Maximilian for sure.
MissyP89 Posted February 28, 2009 Posted February 28, 2009 (edited) Maximilian goes way too well with the rest of your names, hon. You'd be like the archetypal German warlord. Edited February 28, 2009 by MissyP89
rose wrought of iron Posted February 28, 2009 Posted February 28, 2009 Tarcissus is really cool, but so is St. Maximillian Kolbe... But I still think Maria Goretti beats all. That's why I picked her for mine.
Apotheoun Posted February 28, 2009 Posted February 28, 2009 St. Ignatios of Antioch or St. Polycarp. Both are martyr bishops of the early Church.
MissyP89 Posted March 1, 2009 Posted March 1, 2009 [quote name='rose wrought of iron' post='1793792' date='Feb 28 2009, 05:32 PM']Tarcissus is really cool, but so is St. Maximillian Kolbe... But I still think Maria Goretti beats all. That's why I picked her for mine. [/quote] ) She's the best ever, pretty much. They could call Phil Mario at his Confirmation!!
rose wrought of iron Posted March 1, 2009 Posted March 1, 2009 [quote name='MissyP89' post='1793845' date='Feb 28 2009, 07:09 PM']) She's the best ever, pretty much. They could call Phil Mario at his Confirmation!! [/quote] That would be priceless... Although it's kinda cool, and my sister pointed this out to me a while back; my name means "pure one" and I picked Maria Goretti as my Confirmation saint... coincidence or God-thing?
Nihil Obstat Posted March 1, 2009 Posted March 1, 2009 [quote name='rose wrought of iron' post='1793792' date='Feb 28 2009, 04:32 PM']Tarcissus is really cool, but so is St. Maximillian Kolbe... But I still think Maria Goretti beats all. That's why I picked her for mine. [/quote] You should have picked Maximilian. I'm sure it fits great with your given name, right?
rose wrought of iron Posted March 1, 2009 Posted March 1, 2009 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1794005' date='Feb 28 2009, 09:56 PM']You should have picked Maximilian. I'm sure it fits great with your given name, right?[/quote] How would you know that fits well with my name? But I think he would fit with anybody. But Maria Goretti fits for me, and I look at her for example all the time.
Nihil Obstat Posted March 1, 2009 Posted March 1, 2009 [quote name='rose wrought of iron' post='1794014' date='Feb 28 2009, 09:01 PM']How would you know that fits well with my name? But I think he would fit with anybody. But Maria Goretti fits for me, and I look at her for example all the time. [/quote] Maximilian works with any female name. I'm convinced.
rose wrought of iron Posted March 1, 2009 Posted March 1, 2009 Well probably; he's a really cool saint.
Pauly Walnuts Posted March 1, 2009 Posted March 1, 2009 Saint Brain fluffy air extraction was mine... ( seriously, I brain fluffy air extraction a lot! ) There is no saint brain fluffy air extraction though.
missionseeker Posted March 1, 2009 Posted March 1, 2009 [quote name='BG45' post='1793262' date='Feb 28 2009, 12:10 AM']It's funny, in RCIA the other night we were sitting around before class we were amicably chatting about what we do after Easter and John that co-teaches with Father goes, "So one thing we'll discuss is the story of Saint Maximillian Kolbe since he's so relatively modern". I could've died heh, given the Novena and everything...[/quote] [quote name='rose wrought of iron' post='1793851' date='Feb 28 2009, 07:13 PM']That would be priceless... Although it's kinda cool, and my sister pointed this out to me a while back; my name means "pure one" and I picked Maria Goretti as my Confirmation saint... coincidence or God-thing? [/quote] you have the same name as I do!?!
missionseeker Posted March 1, 2009 Posted March 1, 2009 [quote name='Pauly Walnuts' post='1794028' date='Feb 28 2009, 10:18 PM']Saint Brain fluffy air extraction was mine... ( seriously, I brain fluffy air extraction a lot! ) There is no saint brain fluffy air extraction though.[/quote] OMG!!!! The fiddler!
Innocent Posted March 1, 2009 Posted March 1, 2009 We don't officially have this practice here. But I personally privately chose St. Josemaria Escriva as my Confirmation Saint. (Read his works online here: [url="http://www.escrivaworks.org/"]http://www.escrivaworks.org/[/url] ) But that's mainly because I'm often anxious about my studies.
tinytherese Posted March 1, 2009 Posted March 1, 2009 I remember thinking about my confirmation name a little before I became an actual devout catholic but at the time was luke-warm. I thought Bernadette because I actually liked her strong faith and trust in Our Lady. Then at thirteen shortly after converting to being devout I was rethinking my name since I had been learning about so many other saints. I kept going back and forth with some names cross them on and off the list for years. When confirmation classes started during my sophomore year of high school I came back to Bernadette again but some time later I realized that I should choose Therese because I had gotten to be so fascinated with her life. I had read her autobiography the summer before, seen the t.v. series on EWTN about how she was a great saint for the third millenium which was hosted by Fr. Charles Connar, and I saw the Luke Fims movie about her life. So I ended up choosing her in the end. I choose the name tinytherese because of the little way and how small I am in comparison to even this humble saint. Fortunately, I was born on All Saints Day so I've LOTS of patrons anyway. Coincidentally, my parish back at home is called All Saints.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now