Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

So every Sunday morning I play mass, go get a croissanwich at BK, then go back to church and play the second morning mass. So today I'm waiting in the drivethrough and I notice that the car in front of me has 4 people and a baby in a car seat. But the car is a compact car and the baby car seat is positioned on the floor between the two people in the back seat and its not secure.

Now I'm getting ticked and I'm concerned for the baby's safety. One sudden stop and this kid (car seat and all) is literally going straight at the front window. So I'm sitting there trying to figure out what's appropriate to do. Do I call the police and give them the license plate? Its a small burb and its Sunday morning so they could be found pretty quick. And it is against the law. Do I get out and talk to them? Am I overreacting to the situation?

As I ponder this, they get their food and head off. When I pull up to the window, the BK cashier tells me that they paid for my meal. The local Christian radio station has been promoting doing random acts of kindness in fast food drivethrus and apparently I was the latest recipient. (I was actually listening to the station when this all occurred.

so now I'm ticked and really touched by the free croissanwich. it was a confusing morning

missionseeker
Posted
:blink:
CatholicCid
Posted

The free croissanwich was actually a bribe to keep you from calling the police.

Nihil Obstat
Posted

I'd be taken aback too.

eagle_eye222001
Posted

That's.........weird. :wacko:

----------------
Listening to: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/skillet/track/the+last+night"]Skillet - The Last Night[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

Nihil Obstat
Posted

Did you still report them?

Galloglasses' Alt
Posted

That's.... a rather unique and awkward position to be in.

Posted

Perhaps you should give them a hug at arm's length.

Posted

I think that in such a situation, calling the cops without first confronting the people is...rude. If you confront them and they mouth off at you, threatening to call the cops is a clear next step. But to just report them without giving them a chance to remedy the situation? That just doesn't seem kind to me.

The free lunch is kinda cool, though ;).

Posted

+J.M.J.+
:wacko:

Posted (edited)

Wow. Just. Wow.

All the cool and awkward stuff happens to you <_<

Edited by Sacred Music Man
icelandic_iceskater
Posted
:blink:
Posted

Wow, you could have done yourself out a free sandwich.

Posted

Do another kind act at random in return. Its probably exactly what they wanted.



As far as the baby seat and all, whenever you're in that kind of situation remember that calling them to proper safety practises is actually an act of charity - you are helping htem and their baby for their own good.







Once I had to talk to one of my employees about his body-odor. Not a pleasant or easy thing to discuss, but doing so was for this guy's own good (no one else had the gust to let him know either). After talking with him, his personal hygiene improved and he was the better for it.

CatholicCid
Posted (edited)

[quote name='Didacus' post='1795019' date='Mar 2 2009, 10:13 AM']Do another kind act at random in return. Its probably exactly what they wanted.



As far as the baby seat and all, whenever you're in that kind of situation remember that calling them to proper safety practises is actually an act of charity - you are helping htem and their baby for their own good.







Once I had to talk to one of my employees about his body-odor. Not a pleasant or easy thing to discuss, but doing so was for this guy's own good (no one else had the gust to let him know either). After talking with him, his personal hygiene improved and he was the better for it.[/quote]

Would you mention bad BO to a complete stranger though?

Considering the circumstance, I think calling the police and informing them of the situation might be acceptable. If you approach the car at a drive-thru while waiting behind them, they might save the trouble and call the police for you!

Edited by CatholicCid
Posted

[quote name='Winchester' post='1795010' date='Mar 2 2009, 09:03 AM']Wow, you could have done yourself out a free sandwich.[/quote]


Or it would have been reaaaaally awkward

Posted

[quote name='CatholicCid' post='1795023' date='Mar 2 2009, 10:23 AM']Would you mention bad BO to a complete stranger though?

Considering the circumstance, I think calling the police and informing them of the situation might be acceptable. If you approach the car at a drive-thru while waiting behind them, they might save the trouble and call the police for you![/quote]

Good point.

I think calling the police would be acceptable also, however I'd hate for people to get tickets.

cmotherofpirl
Posted

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1794345' date='Mar 1 2009, 04:29 PM']So every Sunday morning I play mass, go get a croissanwich at BK, then go back to church and play the second morning mass. So today I'm waiting in the drivethrough and I notice that the car in front of me has 4 people and a baby in a car seat. But the car is a compact car and the baby car seat is positioned on the floor between the two people in the back seat and its not secure.

Now I'm getting ticked and I'm concerned for the baby's safety. One sudden stop and this kid (car seat and all) is literally going straight at the front window. So I'm sitting there trying to figure out what's appropriate to do. Do I call the police and give them the license plate? Its a small burb and its Sunday morning so they could be found pretty quick. And it is against the law. Do I get out and talk to them? Am I overreacting to the situation?

As I ponder this, they get their food and head off. When I pull up to the window, the BK cashier tells me that they paid for my meal. The local Christian radio station has been promoting doing random acts of kindness in fast food drivethrus and apparently I was the latest recipient. (I was actually listening to the station when this all occurred.

so now I'm ticked and really touched by the free croissanwich. it was a confusing morning[/quote]

Is it possible they had secured it underneath and you just couldn't see it? It is also possible they had no other way to get where they are going and its the best they could do for the moment?
Its one of those moments no matter what you do, you feel guilt.

Posted

I would have reported them to the police.

Yes, they were nice to buy you a sandwich, but if that baby died or was injured due to their poor judgment, then that would be something on your conscience as well. Our society tends to look away too much in general ( I think). Sometimes it is important to get involved.

Anyways, I hate to piss on the parade, but they need to realize the risks of their actions, and if that comes in the form of a police officer, so be it.

As for confronting them, I wouldn't bother. Too many factors that could make the situation unsafe. The law can talk to them and decide whether they should be ticketed. That is the safest thing to do for all parties involved.

Posted

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1795055' date='Mar 2 2009, 09:43 AM']Is it possible they had secured it underneath and you just couldn't see it? It is also possible they had no other way to get where they are going and its the best they could do for the moment?
Its one of those moments no matter what you do, you feel guilt.[/quote]

No, child seats do not secure to the floor. Ever.

Yes it is possible there is another way, there is always another way. Take two trips. Less people per trip. It may not be as convenient, but it certainly is worth it for the life of a baby.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...