An Old School Catholic Message Board

Murder Vs. Missing Mass

Zoecool13

Are there levels of mortal sins?  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='reyb' post='1829711' date='Apr 9 2009, 02:26 AM']Now, since the core of the mass is the Eucharist; it only follows that anyone who intentionally failed to participate in the Eucharist commits mortal or grave sin. Do I get it right?[/quote]I think so, but this precision seems a bit pointless. If you're at mass, you don't have much choice but to be participating in the Eucharist, unless you're sleeping on your chair the whole time. In particular, participating in the Eucharist isn't synonymous with receiving Holy Communion. Even if you are in a situation in which you are unable to receive Holy Communion (due to mortal sin, for instance), as long as you're there in body and mind, you're participating in the Eucharist.

I don't have any solid references for that, but that's how I always understood it, at least. :unsure:

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1829730' date='Apr 9 2009, 02:38 AM']In that case, one of the two options can't be considered sinful in any way. The outcome is evil, but the action is not, and because of the whole Double Effect, the person does not sin.[/quote]Agreed. Do you think I shouldn't use the expression "choosing between two evils" ? It seems to me like this is really the case in many situations, like the example in my last post. Antibiotics are harmful for the body, and nobody would take them, unless they can help cure something even more harmful (like flu). When you take an antibiotic, you're choosing the lesser of two evils. No ?

[quote name='reyb' post='1829711' date='Apr 9 2009, 01:26 AM'][indent]Now, since the core of the mass is the Eucharist; it only follows that anyone who intentionally failed to participate in the Eucharist commits mortal or grave sin. Do I get it right? [/indent][/quote]

Catholics only have to receive Communion once a year, during Easter time:

"§1 Once admitted to the blessed Eucharist, each of the faithful is obliged to receive holy communion at least once a year.

§2 This precept must be fulfilled during paschal time, unless for a good reason it is fulfilled at another time during the year." (Code of Canon Law 920)

The obligation to "assist at Mass" (Code of Canon Law 1247) can be fulfilled even if one does not receive Holy Communion:

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Dr_Asik' post='1829750' date='Apr 9 2009, 12:51 AM']Agreed. Do you think I shouldn't use the expression "choosing between two evils" ? It seems to me like this is really the case in many situations, like the example in my last post. Antibiotics are harmful for the body, and nobody would take them, unless they can help cure something even more harmful (like flu). When you take an antibiotic, you're choosing the lesser of two evils. No ?[/quote]
I don't like the phrase, personally. It doesn't have a distinction between an evil action and an evil outcome, and often can refer to either or both.
Lesser of two evils is a term that's too often used by a society that is hopelessly relativistic. :P