An Old School Catholic Message Board

Where Are You In Your Religious Discernment?

mariaassunta

InHisLove726

Well, as you know, I'm currently applying to the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus in Milwaukee, WI. I'm rather harried about my entrance date. I don't know when to set it! :wacko: There are days where I am happy about a possible date for October 1st, 2010 (in honor of St. Therese), then there are days when I want to move it up (I thought about it last night, LOL!). Fortunately, I haven't had any days yet where I want to push it back. On the application it asks, "What date would you like to enter if accepted?" I just put October 1st, 2010 and thought, "God, if you want me to enter sooner, so be it. I trust the Sisters will let me know in that case." :)

I've also talked to Sr. Immaculata about moving up to East Chicago to work in the Carmelite Home for Girls. She has asked me a few times how I feel about this and I can't give her an answer. There is part of me that wants to spend time with the Sisters, growing and learning about them, but then I think I would like to spend the rest of my time with my family before I leave home for good. My mom is already experiencing a little bit of the "empty nest" syndrome. :sadder: I think I am probably going to stay here for the time being and go back up to visit when I am able. Since I didn't give a definitive answer, I hope that the opportunity still remains should I change my mind.

I've got an appointment to talk to my spiritual director today. I finished writing my short life history last night that I need to include with my application. Should he say that I don't need to change anything and I shouldn't worry about getting a job before turning in my application, I'm going to mail it back this weekend!

Please start sending your prayers if you aren't already! I'm peaceful about my decision, but of course, the nerves are still playing a small part. :saint: God bless!

moon_child_anne

[quote name='angelofmary' post='1804674' date='Mar 12 2009, 10:08 AM']:rolleyes: Your welcome to talk about your religious discernemnt here.[/quote]

I've been discerning for many years (more than 5) and am now a postulant with the Sisters of Notre Dame.

Maria Faustina

Hmmm... lol this the kind of posts i like haha. Well, I'm a freshman at a charter school, and hopefully I will be graduating in my junior year with my Associates' Degree from the college connected with my high school. As far as discernment, the biggest thing right now is visiting the community. I'm going to Nashville this summer to see a Sister with whom I am close make her final vows. Hopefully, I'll be able to meet with Sister Mary Emily around that time about my vocation. (But that's REALLLY scary for me to think about!) If I do get a good general feeling about the Dominican Sisters of Saint Cecilia, I'll continue discerning the possibility of entering there. If not, I'll pray about a lot more, and begin looking elsewhere. Either way, I will hopefully get a spiritual director (I am in a HUGE need of one) by the end of this summer. I used to think the many days between the time I go to Nashville were unusuable and exhaustive. Now that I have reached Lent, I see what a total mess my soul is!!! I'm trying to make the most of everyday I have now to strengthen my soul in order to get that "spiritual six pack" ;) lol!!!!!

InHisLove726

[quote name='Maria Faustina' post='1805312' date='Mar 12 2009, 07:37 PM']Hmmm... lol this the kind of posts i like haha. Well, I'm a freshman at a charter school, and hopefully I will be graduating in my junior year with my Associates' Degree from the college connected with my high school. As far as discernment, the biggest thing right now is visiting the community. I'm going to Nashville this summer to see a Sister with whom I am close make her final vows. Hopefully, I'll be able to meet with Sister Mary Emily around that time about my vocation. (But that's REALLLY scary for me to think about!) If I do get a good general feeling about the Dominican Sisters of Saint Cecilia, I'll continue discerning the possibility of entering there. If not, I'll pray about a lot more, and begin looking elsewhere. Either way, I will hopefully get a spiritual director (I am in a HUGE need of one) by the end of this summer. I used to think the many days between the time I go to Nashville were unusuable and exhaustive. Now that I have reached Lent, I see what a total mess my soul is!!! I'm trying to make the most of everyday I have now to strengthen my soul in order to get that "spiritual six pack" ;) lol!!!!![/quote]

If you find out, for some reason, that the Nashville Dominicans don't work out, I would suggest looking into the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist (SMME). They are branched from the Nashville Dominicans (though, anyone who has been discerning the Dominicans probably knows this ;) ). I thought about looking into them for a while, but Carmelites are where I am called. :D I will be praying for your vocation, whatever you discover. I know how difficult it can be. I'm finally at peace and I'm applying, but there are still some days where I struggle. It's only normal. If you experience this, don't give up. :) God bless you!

DiscerningSoul

Just starting to write a community, need to get a recommendation from my pastor.
My SD is very sick(so send some spiritual chicken soup to him - many prayers for a person he asked me to pray for also) and asked me to ask our pastor.

Many prayers for this community also.

**At this time I would like to keep 'what' community privet**

Guest eremos

Tomorrow I am starting a 2 week visit with the Hermits of Bethlehem in the Heart of Jesus (Laura of Diocesan Hermits). This is my 2nd two week stay with them. I really think the Lord is calling me there but I still have worldly responsibilities to resolve (debt, home, job, etc).

I've been a novice in two other communities in my 20s (39 now) including a semi-eremitical monastery so I think the pattern is there.

Since this is a vocational retreat, the Blessed Sacrament will be reserved in my hermitage and I'll have private adoration twice a day. Please pray for me that my heart will be open to Him.

InHisLove726

[quote name='eremos' post='1805894' date='Mar 13 2009, 08:10 AM']Tomorrow I am starting a 2 week visit with the Hermits of Bethlehem in the Heart of Jesus (Laura of Diocesan Hermits). This is my 2nd two week stay with them. I really think the Lord is calling me there but I still have worldly responsibilities to resolve (debt, home, job, etc).

I've been a novice in two other communities in my 20s (39 now) including a semi-eremitical monastery so I think the pattern is there.

Since this is a vocational retreat, the Blessed Sacrament will be reserved in my hermitage and I'll have private adoration twice a day. Please pray for me that my heart will be open to Him.[/quote]

That sounds beautiful, Eremos! Congratulations! Alone time with the Blessed Sacrament is such a wonderful blessing! I'll be praying that all goes well for you. God bless! :D

AccountDeleted

[quote name='eremos' post='1805894' date='Mar 13 2009, 06:10 AM']Tomorrow I am starting a 2 week visit with the Hermits of Bethlehem in the Heart of Jesus (Laura of Diocesan Hermits). This is my 2nd two week stay with them. I really think the Lord is calling me there but I still have worldly responsibilities to resolve (debt, home, job, etc).

Since this is a vocational retreat, the Blessed Sacrament will be reserved in my hermitage and I'll have private adoration twice a day. Please pray for me that my heart will be open to Him.[/quote]

Oh - wow! I am so excited for you! :clap: I spent two months with them and they are the sweetest and kindest people, and Father Romano is so nice. His assistant, Sr Mary Magdalene is a real sweetheart too. And yes, having the Blessed Sacrament in your hermitage is just the most wonderful thing of all! I truly wish sometimes that I had found my spiritual home there, but the call to Carmel is just too strong in me. Father Romano told me that he always had problems keeping ex-Carmelites - they just can't seem to let go of Carmel! :topsy: :rolleyes:

I will pray that all your issues get resolved and that you learn God's will for you :pray:

Edited by nunsense

AccountDeleted

As for my own discernemnt, you must all get tired of my antics, but like our dear sister Adele, I won't give up! God is doing weird and wonderful things in my life right now - but I can see His hand in everything.

God willing, I hope to try Carmel again - this time at Sheffield in the UK. I got an email from Reverend Mother today (yes, they are a 1990s, but she decided to get a laptop and her own email to help her with vocation enquiries) and she said that if I enter, my name will be Sr Michael Maria of God. St Michael is helping me once again! :))

I just lost my job, and my brother is letting me live with his family, even though he just lost his job too -- wonderful economy right now :rain: so even though I am aiming for May to go for a visit, only God knows if that will be possible.

My father just died :funeral: but the good news is that he asked for a Cross to be put on the memorial nameplate for his cremains - and his wife has asked me to say a prayer at the memorial service tomorrow. So there must be a reason why I am here at this point in time and not in a Carmel somewhere.

Also, my daughter who hasn't wanted to know me for the past two years, has shown up with her husband for the funeral (and is also staying here in the house) . She is being nice to me, and she even told me that she liked the silver Rosary bracelet I bought her for her 20th birthday this week. So all around me right now is unbelievable stress, but in the midst of it all is Our Lord. :pray: Praise Jesus, now and forever.

I did like this little analogy from Reverend Mother today...

[i]"Prayer here is generally speaking in the dark. But thank God for His loving consolations. We need those so much to give us courage. It is like the camel drinking at the well at the oasis. After that the camel plods across the desert living on the precious water. But note well, that he goes further and gets to his goal much quicker than he was when he was drinking at the well. Both are necessary for us as we travel towards true union with God. "[/i]

Edited by nunsense

TeresaBenedicta

I've only recently begun to really "accept" the fact that, as far as I can tell, currenty and barring any huge intervention by God, I'm being called by God into religious life. And I've been slowly but surely structuring my life to reflect that (by which I really mean, I've made the decision to live as one who is going to try religious life and is committed to trying it-- ie, not looking for a more than friends relationship with a guy and continuing to do what I've been doing, working on my prayer life, daily Mass, frequent confession, etc). Last week I had a good discussion with my spiritual director about it. And either sometime this summer or next Fall I will likely go on a vocations retreat.

Aaaand that's about it.

InHisLove726

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1807068' date='Mar 14 2009, 05:09 PM']I've only recently begun to really "accept" the fact that, as far as I can tell, currenty and barring any huge intervention by God, I'm being called by God into religious life. And I've been slowly but surely structuring my life to reflect that (by which I really mean, I've made the decision to live as one who is going to try religious life and is committed to trying it-- ie, not looking for a more than friends relationship with a guy and continuing to do what I've been doing, working on my prayer life, daily Mass, frequent confession, etc). Last week I had a good discussion with my spiritual director about it. And either sometime this summer or next Fall I will likely go on a vocations retreat.

Aaaand that's about it.[/quote]

It's always best to ease into it, especially if you are not quite ready. ;)

Maria Faustina

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1805400' date='Mar 12 2009, 11:01 PM']If you find out, for some reason, that the Nashville Dominicans don't work out, I would suggest looking into the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist (SMME). They are branched from the Nashville Dominicans (though, anyone who has been discerning the Dominicans probably knows this ;) ). I thought about looking into them for a while, but Carmelites are where I am called. :D I will be praying for your vocation, whatever you discover. I know how difficult it can be. I'm finally at peace and I'm applying, but there are still some days where I struggle. It's only normal. If you experience this, don't give up. :) God bless you![/quote]

thanks! They're probably my second choice (but my choices really don't count, God's do lol). I really like the Sisters of Life next, but that's pretty much it. I haven't really been exploring a lot of different communities, since I feel a strong pull to be a Dominican, especially a Nashville Dominican. The DSMME seem like an amazing order, and definetly seem worth checking out! I don't know, but I feel so comfortable and "at home" around the Nashville Dominicans that they really do seem like real sisters to me. I've never met any of the DSMME's in person before, but I may get the same reaction as the ND's. Thanks for youe advice InHisLove! I'll be praying for you also and I hope your application reaches its destination soon ;) Prayers :)

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1807141' date='Mar 14 2009, 09:05 PM']It's always best to ease into it, especially if you are not quite ready. ;)[/quote]

Yup. :smokey: God's totally in charge of all this, and that's fine by me! He can take things as slowly as He'd like. :)