An Old School Catholic Message Board

Digital Camera Recommendations

Brother Adam

Nihil Obstat

I don't recommend Kodak. I had problems with a decent one that I bought, and was subsequently told that Kodak is generally more poorly made than comparable models.
I've never had problems with Canon. Would recommend one that takes AA or AAAs, because you can change on the fly. In your price range you can probably get 7-10 megapixels, probably somewhere around 8.

Does your range include a memory card? It's another $10-40 depending on the size.

Brother Adam

I have memory cards, so I'm squared away there. Thank you for the recommendations. We will certainly look at canon's first!

Using
[url="http://www.bestinclass.com/digital-cameras"]http://www.bestinclass.com/digital-cameras[/url]
Top 3 results:
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8
Canon PowerShot A1000 IS
Canon PowerShot A590 IS

Crazy_4_Christ

As a photographer who has used many cameras, I very highly recommend Canon, at least in this price range. Specifically I suggest you look at the Powershot a590, which currently sells for $109 at Adorama, one of the top photo retailers in the US. This is the only camera in this price range which will give you full manual control, and I believe it's the only one left in Canon's own lineup that does so, at least in this series; the SD series don't have it and neither do the newer A series. This is also one of the few cameras on the market that uses AA batteries. This is important because a set is cheap, whereas a propriety rechargeable battery will cost you anywhere from $30-60. I also find Canon to have the best output, especially when using flash. Finally, I recommend you go to dpreview.com and read reviews for any of the cams you're looking at.

Hope this helps!
-Daniel

Nihil Obstat

The canon a590 is what we got my mom for Christmas. I have the slightly downgraded version.
My version is great for me, because none of us know how to use the manual settings. :)

Mine cost around $130C, my mom's was just a little more, but 5 months or so later.

I suggest getting a Canon Power Shot. It is an easy camera to use for a point and shoot camera. It is a good quality at a good price. I bought my brother a Fuji point and shoot because it had some manual features.

I also suggest going to a camera store and trying out the camera and talking to someone about it. Ritz Camera/Wolf Camera is a good place to talk to someone. Tell them what you are thinking and they will be able to show you cameras. I would not buy from them though. I would go only to see what they have and to try out cameras.

I do suggest however, getting a camera with a rechargeable battery. Cameras drain batteries like no other. In the long run you will be saving money with the rechargeable battery.

Meg

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='picchick' post='1811009' date='Mar 18 2009, 08:24 PM']I suggest getting a Canon Power Shot. It is an easy camera to use for a point and shoot camera. It is a good quality at a good price. I bought my brother a Fuji point and shoot because it had some manual features.

I also suggest going to a camera store and trying out the camera and talking to someone about it. Ritz Camera/Wolf Camera is a good place to talk to someone. Tell them what you are thinking and they will be able to show you cameras. I would not buy from them though. I would go only to see what they have and to try out cameras.

I do suggest however, getting a camera with a rechargeable battery. Cameras drain batteries like no other. In the long run you will be saving money with the rechargeable battery.

Meg[/quote]
I prefer generic batteries for the convenience though.

Yea, I'm sure in the long run I will spend more, but I can't carry an AC power socket everywhere I go. Also important is ease of charging if you're in a country with different AC current settings.

icelandic_iceskater

generic rechargeable batteries ftw! In the long run it's so much cheeper than buying oodles of normal double a's

I have an older cannon A590. I don't really know how to use the complicated stuff and whatnot, but I'm a fan.

:photo:

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1811050' date='Mar 18 2009, 09:59 PM']I prefer generic batteries for the convenience though.

Yea, I'm sure in the long run I will spend more, but I can't carry an AC power socket everywhere I go. Also important is ease of charging if you're in a country with different AC current settings.[/quote]

It is actually in an inconvenience I found. The camera eats up the battery so fast that it would run out before I could change them.

You charge your battery when you are not using your camera. That is not that hard. I am sure that you won't be carrying your camera around 24/7. There will be days when you will not use it at all. That is when you stick your battery in your charger and let it charge. It only takes a couple of hours. Furthermore, if you plan on traveling outside of your country charge it before hand. It will last more than you think. Another option would be to purchase a second back up battery if you are hard core into taking pictures and will be traveling in another country. That is what I did. Then you have two batteries that you will be able to use.

Ok let's do some math:
Duracell AA Batteries are about $8.00 for a pack of four. Let's say you use 2 batteries a month for your camera. That is $24 a year. Let's say you keep the camera for 10 years. $240 dollars.

Ok you get a battery with the Canon Power Shot. You can just keep that and not worry about a second battery. And you spend the price of the camera. No extra cost. If you want to purchase a second back up battery that is about $36 dollars if you do some shopping. I am sure you can get it cheaper if you get an off brand battery that fits your camera. I found one on Newegg.com for 14.99. It is not a canon it is a dolica but it would be your choice which one you'd want to buy. So let's say you go for the canon brand. Looks like you spent $36 dollars for the year. $240 vs. $36.

I didn't get a second battery back up until a year after having my camera. My other quesiton for you is did you ever have a rechargeable battery for a camera? I've had both. In my personal opinion, the rechargeable is the way to go. I do travel. I do a lot of outdoors stuff. It is a hassle to have to run to a store to pick up batteries when I could use that money on food or the time on photography.

Alternative solution:
Buy one that uses AA batteries, and use Lithium rechargeable batteries and recharger. Best of both worlds.

[quote name='scardella' post='1811616' date='Mar 19 2009, 02:22 PM']Alternative solution:
Buy one that uses AA batteries, and use Lithium rechargeable batteries and recharger. Best of both worlds.[/quote]

That's what I do, but NiMH rechargeable instead of Lithium rechargeable, because NiMH do not develop memory like Lithium do.

NiMH + charger = 19.99 at Radioshack, if not on sale for cheaper. And if absolutely necessary I can pop in a pack of Alk AAs for 3.99 from the same place lol

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='picchick' post='1811464' date='Mar 19 2009, 09:40 AM']I didn't get a second battery back up until a year after having my camera. My other quesiton for you is did you ever have a rechargeable battery for a camera? I've had both. In my personal opinion, the rechargeable is the way to go. I do travel. I do a lot of outdoors stuff. It is a hassle to have to run to a store to pick up batteries when I could use that money on food or the time on photography.[/quote]
I have had both, and I've tried the upsides and downsides of each, but I certainly prefer the generic ones. :)

Crazy_4_Christ

Speaking from experience here - and I've clicked clicked shutters over 100,000 times in the past four years, using and owning several cameras, and spending thousands of dollars - my opinion is that that rechargeable AA's win in most situations. For point and shoot cameras a propriety battery is nice because the cameras get so slim. The downside is, again, cost, and they're actually [i]lower[/i] capacity than most rechargeable AA's available today. Most of those little propriety batteries have a rated capacity of under an amp. By contrast, AA's are anywhere from two to three amps, with the three amp ones costing a bit more. You might spend $15 for a cheap set with a charger and four batteries, or you can spend more like $35 and get a much better kit by a brand called Eneloop. In the world of professional photography, these are some of the best batteries out there and are popular for not only these little cameras, but also professional flash units. The two huge advantages with AA's are cost and availability. If you get the Eneloop kit from Amazon, you'll have FOUR sets of batteries at any given time, and an extra two sets is only $12. I mostly work with DSLR's, and those only take special batteries. This is the one situation where, in my opinion at least, the propriety batteries win. Yes, they're expensive, but I typically get two thousand shots on a charge, double that if I use the battery grip with two batteries. Of course all of this depends on screen and flash usage, but I find it to be fairly consistent with what I shoot.