Luigi Posted March 24, 2009 Posted March 24, 2009 What if you don't want to go to school today? You still go. What if you don't want to work today? You still work. What if you don't want to feed the kids, do the laundry, mow the lawn, wash the dishes...? You still do it. More or less well, perhaps, but you still do it.
Archaeology cat Posted March 24, 2009 Posted March 24, 2009 [quote name='Luigi' post='1815424' date='Mar 24 2009, 01:21 PM']What if you don't want to go to school today? You still go. What if you don't want to work today? You still work. What if you don't want to feed the kids, do the laundry, mow the lawn, wash the dishes...? You still do it. More or less well, perhaps, but you still do it.[/quote] Exactly.
franciscanheart Posted March 24, 2009 Posted March 24, 2009 I pray to know my Creator. When I am in constant contact with Him, I am usually my best self - the one He intends for me to be. [quote name='Theologian in Training' post='1814741' date='Mar 23 2009, 09:21 AM']The answers are as varied as the personality of each posting, some are rational, some are faith-based and some are a bit of both. So, I have a followup question then. Why aren't all our prayers answered?[/quote] They are. Sometimes we just aren't open to realizing it. (That is, when we are asking for something in prayer. Because prayer isn't just about asking for things!) I think, too, that when we allow ourselves to turn into the "our prayers are never answered" deal, we are doing one or both of the following: 1. Not taking the necessary action and depending on God to do everything. 2. Focusing too much on ourselves, demanding things not asking for them humbly. We feel self-entitled and are being selfish. Yikes. Humility is the foundation of prayer. If we got that, I think we'll never stop praying! [quote name='Theologian in Training' post='1815419' date='Mar 24 2009, 08:05 AM']What if you don't want to pray?[/quote] Then my relationship with my God suffers, as do all my others. If I don't know Him who is Love and I don't stay in contact with Him, I start to run on my will and my will is SO not pretty when I'm not in connection with Him. The Catechism says this: Prayer cannot be reduced to the spontaneous outpouring of interior impulse: in order to pray, one must have the will to pray. Nor is it enough to know what the Scriptures reveal about prayer: one must also learn how to pray. Through a living transmission (Sacred Tradition) within "the believing and praying Church," the Holy Spirit teaches the children of God how to pray.
Theologian in Training Posted March 24, 2009 Author Posted March 24, 2009 (edited) I am surprised that on a Catholic board, it seems, only the same few are responding, with an occasional "newbie" passing through. If that is the case, then I am wondering: How important is prayer to you? Edited March 24, 2009 by Theologian in Training
rkwright Posted March 24, 2009 Posted March 24, 2009 [quote name='Theologian in Training' post='1815490' date='Mar 24 2009, 11:32 AM']I am surprised that on a Catholic board, it seems, only the same few are responding, with an occasional "newbie" passing through. If that is the case, then I am wondering: How important is prayer to you?[/quote] I watched the video in the other thread by a priest speaking at a mens conference, I'm forgetting his name... but it really hit me when he said that for us Christians prayer is equivalent to eating, sleeping, ect. It has to be part of our lives. As for me... I must admit it still doesn't seem that way. Honestly I don't feel like I'm that good at prayer right now. I've been better at different times in my life. I've been trying harder this lent, and it comes in spurts... I think often of God and make short prayers often during the day, but setting up definite time spans seems hard. Anyways that maybe more than what your asking for...
cmotherofpirl Posted March 24, 2009 Posted March 24, 2009 [quote name='Theologian in Training' post='1815490' date='Mar 24 2009, 01:32 PM']I am surprised that on a Catholic board, it seems, only the same few are responding, with an occasional "newbie" passing through. If that is the case, then I am wondering: How important is prayer to you?[/quote] I really do think it depends on how you define prayer. Mass? Saying the Hours? Rosary? Litanies? just having a running conversation with God? All of the above?
franciscanheart Posted March 24, 2009 Posted March 24, 2009 [quote name='Theologian in Training' post='1815490' date='Mar 24 2009, 11:32 AM']I am surprised that on a Catholic board, it seems, only the same few are responding, with an occasional "newbie" passing through. If that is the case, then I am wondering: How important is prayer to you?[/quote] Very. It's absolutely vital to a peaceful existence. [quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1815512' date='Mar 24 2009, 11:47 AM']I really do think it depends on how you define prayer. Mass? Saying the Hours? Rosary? Litanies? just having a running conversation with God? All of the above?[/quote] the Church tells us what prayer is. not everything is a shade of gray, cmom.
cmotherofpirl Posted March 24, 2009 Posted March 24, 2009 [quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1815520' date='Mar 24 2009, 01:56 PM']Very. It's absolutely vital to a peaceful existence. the Church tells us what prayer is. not everything is a shade of gray, cmom.[/quote] I was asking Father, not other posters hughey, its his thread.
Nunsense Posted March 24, 2009 Posted March 24, 2009 (edited) [quote name='Theologian in Training' post='1815419' date='Mar 24 2009, 07:05 AM']What if you don't want to pray?[/quote] Then first you need to do is to fall in love with Jesus. One always wants to spend time with someone they love. Some Protestants seem to have this one down a little better than Catholics. The first thing they do is realize that a personal relationship with Jesus is essential and they talk about letting Jesus into their heart and taking over their life. I wasn't raised in any faith and I love the Catholic Church as the one true Church of Jesus Christ, but sometimes I really wonder at the cradle Catholics who don't seem to even see what a gift they have been given! Prayer is just essential! This question to me is like asking "What if I didn't want to breathe?" - you know, ridiculous! Oh yeah, I can understand what is being asked, but this isn't a chore that is being asked - it is an amazingly intensely beautiful way to be with someone you love ALL the time! So I would say to anyone who doesn't want to pray - take a giant step backwards and ask yourself "what is wrong with this picture?" The one who loves you the most in the whole world wants to spend time with you -- and you say????? ouch to Him ! Edited March 24, 2009 by nunsense
puellapaschalis Posted March 24, 2009 Posted March 24, 2009 I haven't really posted because I'm not sure how to word my answer. Plus there's the whole talking-in-front-of-Phatmass thing.
Theologian in Training Posted March 24, 2009 Author Posted March 24, 2009 [quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1815512' date='Mar 24 2009, 01:47 PM']I really do think it depends on how you define prayer. Mass? Saying the Hours? Rosary? Litanies? just having a running conversation with God? All of the above?[/quote] When you responded, what was it you had in mind? That is what I mean. Each person is different and unique, as this thread has clearly shown, but each person has a concept of prayer in the sense that I am asking because each person has their understanding of what prayer is and was able to respond without a definition. Granted, I may be the one "leading" this thread but the definition, in this sense, is relative to each person insofar as each person approaches God differently, with a wide variety of spiritualities.
cmotherofpirl Posted March 24, 2009 Posted March 24, 2009 [quote name='Theologian in Training' post='1815547' date='Mar 24 2009, 02:47 PM']When you responded, what was it you had in mind? That is what I mean. Each person is different and unique, as this thread has clearly shown, but each person has a concept of prayer in the sense that I am asking because each person has their understanding of what prayer is and was able to respond without a definition. Granted, I may be the one "leading" this thread but the definition, in this sense, is relative to each person insofar as each person approaches God differently, with a wide variety of spiritualities.[/quote] I this what you want ? I have said the LOTH since 1974, not every single day - but most days. To me the psalms are a direct link to God, no other prayers connect me like they do. I find litanies- particularly of the saints connects me to the Communion of Saints and I feel connected to the entire church. I have difficulties with the rosary - I simply lose track and my mind drifts off or gets lost in a particular part of the prayer -thinking about Mary being our Mother, thy kingdom coming etc. Did you ever see Fiddler on the Roof - I saw it as a child -well I have always talked to God as Tevye does, not that God needs my opinions, but as a child talks to a parent. Didn't have much parenting as a child, but I always thought Tevye was a nice representation of a good relationship, so I have always used that as my model. We have the police scanner on all day and I pray for the police and the victims etc as they come across the air. When I read the news I pray for those involved - usually just a plea for God to take care of them. When I garden, which I love to do, I tell God thank you for each seed that grows, and apologize for the ones that don't - because its His creation that I'm working on, and I feel a sense of responsibility for it. If I'm up at sunrise and its not cold I go outside I thank God for it, the same at sunset. I have never had all those feelings of love etc people seem to feel for Jesus etc, I don't relate to Him that way, I see Him as a mediator to the Father, and a gift to open heaven for the world. I don't trust great emotions in relating to religion, feelings are transient, but the will remains. I just hope Someones up there is listening.
franciscanheart Posted March 24, 2009 Posted March 24, 2009 [quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1815522' date='Mar 24 2009, 11:59 AM']I was asking Father, not other posters hughey, its his thread.[/quote] lame. lame and rude.
MIKolbe Posted March 24, 2009 Posted March 24, 2009 Fr.- Why do we pray? To show our love for God. My prayers are either words or actions. I pray to attempt to be in communion with Him, to petition, to thank and praise. Why are prayers not answered? I am not sure they are not. They may not be answered to MY liking, but I trust they are answered in His terms, and His ways; according to His will for me. Before I lost my job, I would pray a prayer of thanksgiving for my job, and ask always for a way to support my family. I lost my job 2 weeks before Christmas. This would seem like a supreme case of an unanswered prayer. However, since our insurance would run out at the end of the year, I got everyone to the Dr., one last time. It was at that Dr. appointment, the Dr. found Addison's heart murmur (Addison was 6 mos. at the time). She has a hole in her heart that was significantly larger than any of the echos led the Dr. to believe. She had her surgery, and her heart is healthy and she is doing great. Fr., but for me losing my job, we would not have found this as early as we did. Luckily, Addison's pediatrician is a Neo-Natalogist who has EXTENSIVE experience with ASD (hole in the heart). Addison was not due for another appointment for a few months, and when she was diagosed with it, it was almost an emergency situation. So, I lose my job; we get into the Dr. with relative ease (which with my insurance is not that easy); the Dr. we see specialized in the exact condition my daughter had; my daughter was asymtomatic, yet he detected it anyways; because of the loss of my job, and the type of defect my daughter had, the surgery is paid in full. My prayer was answered, but according to His will, not mine. What if you do not want to pray? Sadly, after all these blessings, this question seems pointed to me. Fr., I do not want to pray right now. I do, but I do not want to. (that probably makes no sense, but is par for the course with me) I am distracted trying to find a job here in CA, wrestling with a prospect to move across the country for another. Wondering self-worth, still, as it pertained to me getting laid off. It sounds self-centered, and you know what Fr.?..it is. I am not praying how I think I should..Not as often as I should..I fall alseep in prayer, I neglect opportunities for prayer (like offering some prayers when doing the dishes, or laundry)... then I get MAD because I forgot. A part of me feels they are not good enough, so rather than offering junk, I just dont want to offer. When my wife and I were preparing to get married, the priest asked if we went to Mass. I said, 'not like I should'. He said in reply, 'when you are hungry, you'll eat'. It threw me for a loop, but as I reverted back; it made sense. I think prayer is similar. How important is prayer? I think prayer is ultimately a communication. How do you not communicate with someone you say you love? Thank you Fr. for this thread. Not only have I answered your questions, but I think I have answered some of mine too. Pax, Jason
Nunsense Posted March 24, 2009 Posted March 24, 2009 [quote name='MIkolbe' post='1815577' date='Mar 24 2009, 01:10 PM']Fr.- Why do we pray? To show our love for God. My prayers are either words or actions. I pray to attempt to be in communion with Him, to petition, to thank and praise. Why are prayers not answered? I am not sure they are not. They may not be answered to MY liking, but I trust they are answered in His terms, and His ways; according to His will for me. Before I lost my job, I would pray a prayer of thanksgiving for my job, and ask always for a way to support my family. I lost my job 2 weeks before Christmas. This would seem like a supreme case of an unanswered prayer. However, since our insurance would run out at the end of the year, I got everyone to the Dr., one last time. It was at that Dr. appointment, the Dr. found Addison's heart murmur (Addison was 6 mos. at the time). She has a hole in her heart that was significantly larger than any of the echos led the Dr. to believe. She had her surgery, and her heart is healthy and she is doing great. Fr., but for me losing my job, we would not have found this as early as we did. Luckily, Addison's pediatrician is a Neo-Natalogist who has EXTENSIVE experience with ASD (hole in the heart). Addison was not due for another appointment for a few months, and when she was diagosed with it, it was almost an emergency situation. So, I lose my job; we get into the Dr. with relative ease (which with my insurance is not that easy); the Dr. we see specialized in the exact condition my daughter had; my daughter was asymtomatic, yet he detected it anyways; because of the loss of my job, and the type of defect my daughter had, the surgery is paid in full. My prayer was answered, but according to His will, not mine. What if you do not want to pray? Sadly, after all these blessings, this question seems pointed to me. Fr., I do not want to pray right now. I do, but I do not want to. (that probably makes no sense, but is par for the course with me) I am distracted trying to find a job here in CA, wrestling with a prospect to move across the country for another. Wondering self-worth, still, as it pertained to me getting laid off. It sounds self-centered, and you know what Fr.?..it is. I am not praying how I think I should..Not as often as I should..I fall alseep in prayer, I neglect opportunities for prayer (like offering some prayers when doing the dishes, or laundry)... then I get MAD because I forgot. A part of me feels they are not good enough, so rather than offering junk, I just dont want to offer. When my wife and I were preparing to get married, the priest asked if we went to Mass. I said, 'not like I should'. He said in reply, 'when you are hungry, you'll eat'. It threw me for a loop, but as I reverted back; it made sense. I think prayer is similar. How important is prayer? I think prayer is ultimately a communication. How do you not communicate with someone you say you love? Thank you Fr. for this thread. Not only have I answered your questions, but I think I have answered some of mine too. Pax, Jason[/quote] Thank you so much for sharing that story - it was so heartfelt and so sweet. Like you, I have had a tough time of it for quite awhile now. I have lost two jobs in the past month, neither one my fault (actually after two nights off, I showed up at the hospital last night for my caregiver job and the patient had been moved to CCU, but the family neglected to phone me and let me know that my services were no longer required - but what could I say - they are dealing with great sorrow in the illness of their father) - so I am unemployed again. In addition, my own father died two weeks ago, and my daughter, who hasn't spoken to me in two years, came to the funeral and was polite but still didn't want to know me - and well, lots of things that aren't worth going into here. But it does mean that I understand a little of what you are talking about. And yes, God was there for you, showing you what you needed to know. Just as He is with me too. As you said... "according to His will, not mine." I don't see prayer as being only for petitions (although I do petition for family and friends) - but also for thanksgiving and worship.... and what you said -- communicating with someone you love. If I didn't have prayer, I don't know how I would survive, so that goes along with your priest's comment about eating when you are hungry. I literally feel like I am starving to death if I don't pray. I haven't always been like this, but it is something that has slowly grown over the past two years, and the more I pray, the more I need to pray (is it like an addiction??). I think your story also says something about suffering, and how is can be a great gift in disguise. You say you don't want to pray, but you do - that is a great gift to offer to God - the denial of your will to draw closer to Him - obviously God is very close to you right now. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Thank you again for sharing.
Guest mreezy Posted March 24, 2009 Posted March 24, 2009 hello. i jus spoke to a group of young people about prayer life. n u pray to communicate wit god. prayer is the key to god. jus like u gain friends by communicatin wit them n hangin out with them daily! why not do that with god? why not communicate wit him n spend time with him durin the day. even jus knowin he is there when ur by urself he sees that ur realizin hes there. with out pray u dont have a realtionship wit christ. its like a verizon commerical... prayer instintly conects u with gods network. whn ever u pray to god he always listens. weather ur venting, askin, or jus chattin wit him he listens. so many people belive prayer doesnt work becuz things dont ever get answered. but sumtyms people pray but for materialistc things or there not praying from there heart! a prayer can be jus a short sentence!... " god give me strength, god give me the courage to this dis...etc! when u pray believe that god is listening and have faith that he will rewarded u wit wat he feels u deserve...because we all know he is in charge! =] in paul its says.. "pray with out seazing" dont jus stop praying whn things go wrong or u have to do sumthing all of a sudden...dont leave god by himself! take him wit u were ever u go! =] God is Love, Merrisa [quote name='Theologian in Training' post='1814056' date='Mar 22 2009, 01:57 PM']I have been seeing more and more threads mentioning prayer and how pointless it is, how it "does not work," how there are a hundred other things we would like to do than that. The scary thing is, I am not just seeing it in these threads, but hearing it from others all over, devout to those who lost their faith and so my question is then why do we pray? I don't want this to become "controversial" which is why I left it out of the Debate Table and not enough people frequent the Transmundane to make this mean anything. So, I am curious, why do you pray?[/quote]
BG45 Posted March 24, 2009 Posted March 24, 2009 [quote name='Theologian in Training' post='1815419' date='Mar 24 2009, 10:05 AM']What if you don't want to pray?[/quote] I make myself anyhow. I find that it is most important to pray when I don't want to, because that is when God needs me to cry out to him and to listen to him most. Granted I'm not always kind when that happens...one time I was downright blasphemous and profane. [quote name='Theologian in Training' post='1815490' date='Mar 24 2009, 01:32 PM']How important is prayer to you?[/quote] Quite. I feel "wrong" in more ways than one if I didn't pray. It's a central part of my life.
Theologian in Training Posted March 24, 2009 Author Posted March 24, 2009 [quote name='MIkolbe' post='1815577' date='Mar 24 2009, 04:10 PM']Thank you Fr. for this thread. Not only have I answered your questions, but I think I have answered some of mine too. Pax, Jason[/quote] That was the point of this thread.
Mr.Cat Posted March 24, 2009 Posted March 24, 2009 (edited) If one is unwilling or uninspired to pray, one could at least offer the intention to God, to pray to God. Then ask one’s Holy Guardian Angel to pray in their place, and to help them pray better. Since prayer is possibly more than just words, [i]it is in a sense[/i], union with God, which we can do in many different ways, moreover in the Sacrament of Holy Communion ([i]when properly disposed and in a State of Grace[/i]). All our prayers ought to be satellites to the Blessed Sacrament of the Altar, for [i]it[/i], is in His humble appearance the God-man. The importance of prayer; "Prayer [i]is necessary to salvation, and without it, no one having the use of reason can be saved.[/i]" Prayer is inherent to the contemplative life of a Christian and should reach past sensationalism into reason... But our world is [b]noisy[/b], even for [i]some[/i] who assume the name “[i]Christian[/i]”, do not have the silence in the interior or exterior to bring contemplation and prayer into their lives, as it should be. We are too distracted by what we presume to have some importance, and while [i]some[/i] of us may understand the serious importance of prayer, we may fail to accurately represent that in our lives. Also while [i]some[/i] may attempt to take on the task of prayer, they may lack the understanding in faith/reason, to pray well, possibly even approaching prayer in a superstitious attitude. Edited March 24, 2009 by Mr.CatholicCat
Vincent Vega Posted March 24, 2009 Posted March 24, 2009 [quote name='Theologian in Training' post='1815419' date='Mar 24 2009, 08:05 AM']What if you don't want to pray?[/quote] I've heard that prayers said when one doesn't want to pray mean the most to God.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now