An Old School Catholic Message Board

Iowa Strikes Down Same Sex Marriage Ban

thessalonian

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1823971' date='Apr 3 2009, 09:06 PM']Slippery slope fallacy.

Fail.[/quote]
Not an actual argument, just a baseless label. There's no justification for outlawing marriage between immediate family and multiple marriages and the argument in support of expanding the definition of marriage to permit gay marriage applies.

I didn't argue that these will come about, merely that it makes sense. Straw man tactics are beneath you.

tinytherese

I honestly had no idea that this was going on in my home state. I wonder why its happening there. Call me ignorant but I didn't expect it to happen there.

thessalonian

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1823969' date='Apr 3 2009, 09:05 PM']Christendom had Catholicism as it's official religion, so to speak, but it no longer exists. Coincidence?[/quote]

Christendom no longer exists? Catholicism no longer exists? Really?

Saint Therese

Its funny. No one seems to make a connection between this and bad things happening to our nation, like shootings,etc.
We're just giving it away to the devil, not even putting up a fight anymore.

Question pertaining to this: if a state legalizes same sex marriage, are Christian churches obliged by penalty of law to marry same sex people??

Edited by reelguy227

It depends on the wording of the law in question.

Christians, regardless of what the state enacts, must resist moral evil.

[quote name='reelguy227' post='1825820' date='Apr 5 2009, 10:52 PM']Question pertaining to this: if a state legalizes same sex marriage, are Christian churches obliged by penalty of law to marry same sex people??[/quote]

No. Churches can marry whomever they want. Sexuality isn't a protected class (most everywhere) so discriminating against the gays is generally okay (as opposed to a Church not letting ethnic minorities get married, which maybe would be illegal). The gov't tries to stay out of church business.

Also, I doubt any gay couples would want to get married in a church that was opposed.

[quote name='track2004' post='1829118' date='Apr 8 2009, 05:38 PM']No. Churches can marry whomever they want. Sexuality isn't a protected class (most everywhere) so discriminating against the gays is generally okay[/quote]
The Catholic Church won't marry straight people who want to marry members of the same sex, either, so it has nothing to do with being gay or not, it's simply that we won't marry members of the same sex. Your wording is innaccurate. Use of the word "against" is also not really true.