An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Your Team Won't Win The Stanley Cup

XIX

SaintOlaf

Figure skating competition is in the other rink.

Fighting is an integral part of the game, that lets teams to an extent police themselves and the other players. It's not nearly as bad as it used to be in the playoffs when you would generally have 2-3 fights per game, now-a-days there's 1-2 fights per series.

As someone who's played league hockey, it's important to stress the need for the fisticuffs. If there was no fighting a lot of small things that the refs can't or won't call would go absolutely unpunished. If someone is taking too many liberties and putting them on their back doesn't do the job, the only other option is to drop the gloves and give em what for.

[quote name='SaintOlaf' post='1862149' date='May 8 2009, 08:15 PM']As someone who's played league hockey, it's important to stress the need for the fisticuffs. If there was no fighting a lot of small things that the refs can't or won't call would go absolutely unpunished. If someone is taking too many liberties and putting them on their back doesn't do the job, the only other option is to drop the gloves and give em what for.[/quote]
As someone who has not played league hockey, I can assure you that it is possible to get by without fisticuffs. I played rugby. There are definitely ways to get your point across without channeling your inner Buster Douglas.

In other news, that Caps game sucked. I haven't seen them play that poorly in years.

Carolina needs to win to cheer me up.

Edited by tgoldson