Brother Adam Posted March 24, 2004 Posted March 24, 2004 There are two pillars that hold the reformation up. One is Sola Scriptura and one is Sole Fide. Phatmass already took a bulldozer in and removed Sola Scriptura from my life....so what's this? What's happening? Shall we take a look and see? Oh my.... It looks like Theologian in Training, Dust, Carson, Dave, phatcatholic...it looks like dynamite they are tossing around the Sole Fide Pillar. Wait.... It's not dynamite. It's scripture verses! But why the heck would they use scripture for sole fide? What's this? Katie? LittleFlower? Tina? What is it you are laying down? Kindness and charity?! And ironmonk? That looks like Church History... How is that going to knock down this great pillar of the reformation? uh-oh.... [quote]let me reiterate the distinctions that must be made in order for a catholic to say "we are saved by faith alone." 1. by the word "saved" we mean "eternal life in heaven," not "justification of the spirit," which catholics believe we can lose. 2. this faith is an obedient faith. it is inseperable from good works. 3. grace is the initial catalyst as well as the motivation for this obedient faith. 4. as such, this obedient faith only "saves" if it is maintained by grace and free will until the very end. [/quote] This can't be good... [quote]Galatians 5:6 (ESV) For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything, but only faith working through love. [/quote] Umm guys....ehh....guys....ehh, thinks you better back up... [color=green][font="Impact"]TIMBER[/color][/font] As Winnie the Pooh said.....Oh dear me. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I'm starting to think like my wife who said, "Adam, I have a feeling we're both going to end up Catholic". I never expected to find Catholicism in the Bible like I am. So along with the amazing exegesis of Dr. Scott Hahn... There's only 5 more doctrines left for me to study in depth...better get started...
Lil Red Posted March 24, 2004 Posted March 24, 2004 i'm still praying for you and your wife, Bro. Adam.
Good Friday Posted March 24, 2004 Posted March 24, 2004 Adam, you're killing me. Just thought you should know.
Brother Adam Posted March 24, 2004 Author Posted March 24, 2004 [quote name='Good Friday' date='Mar 24 2004, 05:08 PM'] Adam, you're killing me. Just thought you should know. [/quote] --> Good Friday :crackup: <---Adam
Brother Adam Posted March 25, 2004 Author Posted March 25, 2004 My wish list... hehe. I hope to read most of these books over the summer (assuming I get a job) b/f school starts. Triumph: The Power And The Glory Of The Catholic Church H.W. Crocker III Pope Fiction Patrick Madrid How the Reformation Happened Hilaire Belloc Ignatius Bible - Hardcover Ignatius Press A Father Who Keeps His Promises Scott Hahn Catholic for a Reason: Scripture And The Mystery Of The Family Of God Edited by Dr. Scott Hahn and Leon J. Suprenant, Jr Where Is That In The Bible? Patrick Madrid God's Plan of Salvation: Immaculately Conceived Scott Hahn Faith Alone: Is It Justifiable? - Cassette Tapes Dr. Scott Hahn The Salvation Controversy James Akin Jesus, Peter & the Keys Scott Butler, Norman Dahlgren, and Rev. Mr. David Hess Catholicism and Fundamentalism Karl Keating Upon This Rock Stephen Ray The Usual Suspects: Answering Anti-Catholic Fundamentalists Karl Keating Controversies: High Level Catholic Apologetics Karl Keating
Lil Red Posted March 25, 2004 Posted March 25, 2004 Brother Adam, I don't know if you've come across this website yet, but I highly suggest it. [url="http://www.catholicapologetics.net/"]http://www.catholicapologetics.net/[/url]
Brother Adam Posted March 25, 2004 Author Posted March 25, 2004 Yes, I've been there before. thanks for mentioning it.
homeschoolmom Posted March 25, 2004 Posted March 25, 2004 I must ask, of course, what are those five doctrines?
Sinner Posted March 25, 2004 Posted March 25, 2004 You are a very amusing, somewhat Baptist, but acting universal man.... you make me laugh on a regular basis..... and bring alot of joy to my life. I have never told you before...... Peace.
Ash Wednesday Posted March 25, 2004 Posted March 25, 2004 I'm tellin' you *does the chicken neck thang* and you started prayin' that rosary, it's like a lasso that helps make those pillars go down. Mmmmmm Hm! *snaps fingers*
Carson Weber Posted March 25, 2004 Posted March 25, 2004 Adam, these are books I would recommend taking off of your list: Triumph: The Power And The Glory Of The Catholic Church H.W. Crocker III Ignatius Bible - Hardcover Ignatius Press Pope Fiction Patrick Madrid Where Is That In The Bible? Patrick Madrid The Usual Suspects: Answering Anti-Catholic Fundamentalists Karl Keating Controversies: High Level Catholic Apologetics Karl Keating And I would suggest reading the others in this order: God's Plan of Salvation: Immaculately Conceived Scott Hahn Faith Alone: Is It Justifiable? - Cassette Tapes Dr. Scott Hahn Upon This Rock Stephen Ray A Father Who Keeps His Promises Scott Hahn Catholic for a Reason: Scripture And The Mystery Of The Family Of God Edited by Dr. Scott Hahn and Leon J. Suprenant, Jr The Salvation Controversy James Akin Jesus, Peter & the Keys Scott Butler, Norman Dahlgren, and Rev. Mr. David Hess Catholicism and Fundamentalism Karl Keating How the Reformation Happened Hilaire Belloc
Thy Geekdom Come Posted March 25, 2004 Posted March 25, 2004 [quote] Adam, these are books I would recommend taking off of your list:[/quote] And I would recommend keeping them on. Sure, Crocker and Madrid can be somewhat cynical, but their facts are straight and Adam is a big boy.
Laudate_Dominum Posted March 25, 2004 Posted March 25, 2004 [quote name='Carson Weber' date='Mar 25 2004, 12:16 AM'] Adam, these are books I would recommend taking off of your list: Triumph: The Power And The Glory Of The Catholic Church H.W. Crocker III [b]Ignatius Bible - Hardcover Ignatius Press [/b] Pope Fiction Patrick Madrid Where Is That In The Bible? Patrick Madrid The Usual Suspects: Answering Anti-Catholic Fundamentalists Karl Keating Controversies: High Level Catholic Apologetics Karl Keating [/quote] Aha! Proof that Catholics condemn reading the Bible!
Good Friday Posted March 25, 2004 Posted March 25, 2004 [quote][b]Adam writes:[/b] Ignatius Bible - Hardcover Ignatius Press[/quote] The [i]whole[/i] thing??? And Carson, why did you recommend he take this off his list?
IcePrincessKRS Posted March 25, 2004 Posted March 25, 2004 The Ignatius Bible is the whole thing. The WHOLE CATHOLIC thing. I have it, only paperback, not hardcover.
Mrs. Bro. Adam Posted March 25, 2004 Posted March 25, 2004 (edited) .. Edited March 25, 2004 by Mrs. Bro. Adam
mom25angels Posted March 25, 2004 Posted March 25, 2004 Bro. Adam, Thought I'd share what my dear friend who entered the Catholic Church two years ago told me: "The falling is hard, but theLord certainly cushions the fall". I thought I'd share this as I got goose bumps when I read your post because she had likened her conversion to a tree falling as well. I think she meant that her long held(early learned) misconceptions of the Church were crumbling and she had an overwhelming feeling of falling like the tree in the forest that no one was around to hear...... I'm probably not explaining this well after all it was her experience not mine, I was just along for the ride so to speak. I'm praying for you to feel the cushioning love of God's arms soon. Sarah
Birgitta Noel Posted March 25, 2004 Posted March 25, 2004 (edited) Bro. Adam, I just wanted to commend you for your honesty and openness in sharing your continuing journey with us. You and Mrs. Bro Adam are in our prayers I like the falling imagery. Perhaps you will soon find yourself falling in love all over again, this time with the Church....Keep searching for the Truth, in the end it's all that matters. Birgitta Edited March 25, 2004 by Birgitta Noel
Brother Adam Posted March 25, 2004 Author Posted March 25, 2004 (edited) Carson: thank you Nathan: the whole thang. Have you ever heard a Baptist listing off scriptures from memory that show how we are saved by "faith alone" only if it is an active, obedient faith? Edited March 25, 2004 by Brother Adam
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now