An Old School Catholic Message Board

Armed Resistance To Oppression By Political Authority

Lounge Daddy

Lounge Daddy

It couldn't happen * here*, right?

Catechism #2243
Armed resistance to oppression by political authority is not legitimate, unless all the following conditions are met: 1) there is certain, grave, and prolonged violation of fundamental rights; 2) all other means of redress have been exhausted; 3) such resistance will not provoke worse disorders; 4) there is well-founded hope of success; and 5) it is impossible reasonably to foresee any better solution.

I don't see how it ever could be possibly moral here... Especially because of #3.

It will always probably cause others to lose more of their rights, because it would legitimize the fact that so many conservative groups are on the "suspected" lists in the first place.

KnightofChrist

What about some time in the future where the Constitution has truly been forgotten?

RezaMikhaeil

Thou I hope it doesn't put me behind bars for saying so, I wouldn't be against it. If nothing else, I'd like to see Saintly people do what St. Mohreal did and go to the authories [in her case, Diocletian] and tell the truth to them, not leave them even if it means being put in prison.

Reza

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1865672' date='May 12 2009, 08:59 PM']What about some time in the future where the Constitution has truly been forgotten?[/quote]
Some time in the distant far away future when the Constitution had been forgotten... Not at all like today, eh?

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1867949' date='May 15 2009, 08:38 AM']Some time in the distant far away future when the Constitution had been forgotten... Not at all like today, eh?[/quote]

;-) George Washington, I'm convinced...wouldn't recognize this country...wait...let me rephrase that..."he's turning in his grave".

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1867949' date='May 15 2009, 10:38 AM']Some time in the distant far away future when the Constitution had been forgotten... Not at all like today, eh?[/quote]

Well, as of today clearly the Constitution is not forgotten. It maybe fading, but it has not been forgotten. Why by the very existence of Phatmass and also the fact you and all of us are not rounded up and took off to prison and/or shot.

Edited by KnightofChrist

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1868959' date='May 16 2009, 03:52 PM']Well, as of today clearly the Constitution is not forgotten. It maybe fading, but it has not been forgotten. Why by the very existence of Phatmass and also the fact you and all of us are not rounded up and took off to prison and/or shot.[/quote]

...by then its too late...like with the Jewish Holocaust. Hitler had taken away their guns before shoving them in gas chambers.

ardillacid

I don't see how any revolution could possibly hope for victory against the United States government.

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1870419' date='May 18 2009, 02:58 PM']I don't see how any revolution could possibly hope for victory against the United States government.[/quote]

It would be difficult... probably end like the Tamil Tigers. :rip:

havok579257

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1865114' date='May 12 2009, 11:00 AM']It couldn't happen * here*, right?

Catechism #2243
Armed resistance to oppression by political authority is not legitimate, unless all the following conditions are met: 1) there is certain, grave, and prolonged violation of fundamental rights; 2) all other means of redress have been exhausted; 3) such resistance will not provoke worse disorders; 4) there is well-founded hope of success; and 5) it is impossible reasonably to foresee any better solution.[/quote]

If your looking for an instance when this would be acceptable, look at Germany in WWII. Is AMerica anywhere near what Germany was then?

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='havok579257' post='1870523' date='May 18 2009, 06:14 PM']If your looking for an instance when this would be acceptable, look at Germany in WWII. Is AMerica anywhere near what Germany was then?[/quote]

...to some degree...yes

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1870707' date='May 19 2009, 12:31 AM']I'd see 3 and 4 being problems...[/quote]

I agree completely... it's just not feasible. It would put too many other's at risk.

These conditions for making it morally permissible leave no room for revolts based merely on principle, as some may want to make it. It must be a reasonably viable option, and it will never be if the government stays as powerful as it is now. It doesn't matter how bad the government gets, as long as #3 and #4 aren't met, tough luck...

journeyman

all the more reason to act to redress the system and the wrongs by means other than through the use of force . . . before 2 and 5 become operative