ariaane Posted May 15, 2009 Posted May 15, 2009 Why do people allow their pets, such as their dogs and cats, to lick their faces and sometimes, even their mouths? Don’t you consider this unhygienic? The “dog licking kids face” scene appears quite frequently in movies, and to be honest, seeing it and witnessing owners particularly tongue kiss their dogs, in particular people who are repulsed to even eat a biscuit off their own kitchen floor, disturbs me to the say the least... St Francis loved animals, but he never did any of the forementioned.
picchick Posted May 15, 2009 Posted May 15, 2009 (edited) I heard that our mouths are just as dirty so I don't know... I don't mind an animal licking me because I can wash it off but I wouldn't let him lick my mouth or my tongue. I have trouble with humans licking my tongue, so why would I let an animal.... Edited May 15, 2009 by picchick
ariaane Posted May 15, 2009 Author Posted May 15, 2009 [quote name='picchick' post='1868025' date='May 15 2009, 08:27 PM']I heard that our mouths are just as dirty so I don't know... I don't mind an animal licking me because I can wash it off but I wouldn't let him lick my mouth or my tongue. I have trouble with humans licking my tongue, so why would I let an animal.... [/quote] Hmmm...so you’d be open to me licking your face as long as you washed your face afterwards?... (Don’t worry, I’m [i]not[/i] offering. You are attractive, but don’t come across as “lickable” material )
picchick Posted May 15, 2009 Posted May 15, 2009 [quote name='ariaane' post='1868037' date='May 15 2009, 02:51 PM']Hmmm...so you’d be open to me licking your face as long as you washed your face afterwards?... (Don’t worry, I’m [i]not[/i] offering. You are attractive, but don’t come across as “lickable” material )[/quote] I didn't know you were an animal...animals I figure don't know any better and that is their way to show affection. But I am certainly not going to offer my tongue for a dog to lick. I've had some pretty gross stuff on my face before...but I don't think I'd be open to you licking my face.
dominicansoul Posted May 15, 2009 Posted May 15, 2009 i heard dogs mouths were cleaner than most human mouths... ...but i find it hard to believe when i see dogs eating their own croutons
MissyP89 Posted May 15, 2009 Posted May 15, 2009 My cat doesn't lick my mouth or face...just my hand if I'm letting her nuzzle me. She's small, and it's not like she drools all over me. It's in the same vein as having a newborn drool on you, IMO. She does come and stick her nose in my face when my alarm goes off in the morning, though. I think she comes to check and make sure I'm not dead.
inunionwithrome Posted May 15, 2009 Posted May 15, 2009 We have two dogs at our house. We call them the facewashers. Espcially Strawberry. She wakes you up in the morning and likes to wash your ears too! I think that is gross but I don't find the face offensive. And yes it is true that their mouths are cleaner than ours. The vet said so...
Hilde Posted May 15, 2009 Posted May 15, 2009 My guinea pigs lick my hands. The fact that dogs lick your face makes me kind of want to get a cat instead, but dogs are more affectionate I think. My friends cat is all like " So, you want to pet moi?"
Mercy me Posted May 16, 2009 Posted May 16, 2009 [quote name='ariaane' post='1868018' date='May 15 2009, 02:19 PM']St Francis loved animals, but he never did any of the forementioned.[/quote] How do you know? I have read multiple accounts off St. Francis' life and never saw mention of anything like this. I am always interested in biographies of saints. I would be interested if you have a good one of St. Francis.
Archaeology cat Posted May 16, 2009 Posted May 16, 2009 My cats don't really lick, unless I have food on my hand. And then Cosmo is more likely to nip. I do wake up to find a cat standing on me, though.
ariaane Posted May 16, 2009 Author Posted May 16, 2009 [quote name='picchick' post='1868063' date='May 15 2009, 09:33 PM']I didn't know you were an animal...[/quote] Woof! [quote name='picchick' post='1868063' date='May 15 2009, 09:33 PM']animals I figure don't know any better and that is their way to show affection. But I am certainly not going to offer my tongue for a dog to lick.[/quote] Once you invite them to lick your face, you pretty much set yourself open for a tongue kiss with said dog. [quote name='picchick' post='1868063' date='May 15 2009, 09:33 PM']I've had some pretty gross stuff on my face before...[/quote] I'm not even going to enquire further on this part... [quote name='picchick' post='1868063' date='May 15 2009, 09:33 PM']but I don't think I'd be open to you licking my face.[/quote] You so don't know what you're missing. But seriously, you'd prefer a canine that licks it's own poo to lick your face, over me?
MIKolbe Posted May 16, 2009 Posted May 16, 2009 [quote name='ariaane' post='1868632' date='May 16 2009, 08:07 AM']But seriously, you'd prefer a canine that licks it's own poo to lick your face, over me?[/quote] is that a rhetorical question?
ariaane Posted May 16, 2009 Author Posted May 16, 2009 [quote name='dominicansoul' post='1868072' date='May 15 2009, 09:45 PM']i heard dogs mouths were cleaner than most human mouths... ...but i find it hard to believe when i see dogs eating their own croutons[/quote] My point exactly, and I hear that their teeth aren't cleaned daily. Pigs skin are supposedly cleaner than humans, but I struggle to see how animals which roll around in mud, mud which they sometime urinate and excrete in, have cleaner skin than humans...
ariaane Posted May 16, 2009 Author Posted May 16, 2009 [quote name='MIkolbe' post='1868634' date='May 16 2009, 04:09 PM']is that a rhetorical question?[/quote] Umm....no
ariaane Posted May 16, 2009 Author Posted May 16, 2009 [quote name='MissyP89' post='1868082' date='May 15 2009, 10:15 PM']My cat doesn't lick my mouth or face...just my hand if I'm letting her nuzzle me. She's small, and it's not like she drools all over me. It's in the same vein as having a newborn drool on you, IMO. She does come and stick her nose in my face when my alarm goes off in the morning, though. I think she comes to check and make sure I'm not dead. [/quote] This is the perfect human-pet boundary. Not to mention you have your own personal “check to see if you’re dead” worker. Hand licking? I can deal with that Face and mouth licking? Yuck
Slappo Posted May 16, 2009 Posted May 16, 2009 (edited) You can lick my face if you want to.... but I have a beard and only shower twice a month... also I think I might have lice in my beard. Your call. (Not serious about the showers or the lice... well.... not entirely serious ) Edited May 16, 2009 by Slappo
ariaane Posted May 17, 2009 Author Posted May 17, 2009 [quote name='Hilde' post='1868215' date='May 16 2009, 01:40 AM']My guinea pigs lick my hands.[/quote] With a guinea pig as a cute as the one in your avatar, then I’d let it lick my hands, provided I disinfected my hands after. [quote name='Hilde' post='1868215' date='May 16 2009, 01:40 AM']The fact that dogs lick your face makes me kind of want to get a cat instead, but dogs are more affectionate I think.[/quote] They also tear chunks off their owners faces, like that woman who has recently undergone a “face transplant.”
ariaane Posted May 17, 2009 Author Posted May 17, 2009 [quote name='inunionwithrome' post='1868143' date='May 15 2009, 11:47 PM']We have two dogs at our house. We call them the facewashers. Espcially Strawberry. She wakes you up in the morning and likes to wash your ears too![/quote] Yuck! Just yuck!
ariaane Posted May 17, 2009 Author Posted May 17, 2009 [quote name='Slappo' post='1868653' date='May 16 2009, 05:12 PM']You can lick my face if you want to.... but I have a beard and only shower twice a month... also I think I might have lice in my beard. Your call. [/quote] And to think that you look so clean and washed in your avatar. But then again, my vision is impaired... [quote name='Slappo' post='1868653' date='May 16 2009, 05:12 PM'](Not serious about the showers or the lice... well.... not entirely serious )[/quote] Eugh! I think this may be of use to you: [url="http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/licewars/licepay1.html"]http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/licewars/licepay1.html[/url]
Saint Therese Posted May 20, 2009 Posted May 20, 2009 I think this whole thread is inappropriate. Why a person would allow his/her pet to lick their mouth or face is their business. Their relationship, their business.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now