Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

HisChildForever
Posted

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1868471' date='May 16 2009, 12:21 AM']Like I said, I wouldn't know exactly what I'm looking for... but a person who's hardline anti-Catholic is going to tend not to write things particularly friendly towards the Church.
I hear that was toned down for the movie though, so people more qualified than me have to analyze it.[/quote]

A lot was missing from the movie that would upset the Catholics - no references were made to In Vitro, nor was the subplot of the Pope fathering an illegitimate child via In Vitro mentioned.

Posted

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1868408' date='May 15 2009, 11:48 PM']You cannot quote a newspaper that is run by a layman and is not an official organ of the Vatican and say that the Vatican has said anything.[/quote]

I think I can when the USCCB site quotes the same layman.

Nihil Obstat
Posted

I hear one of the actors refused to do the movie until he read the script and realized that some of the worst stuff was cut out.

Do any of you think there is any danger in people enjoying the movie, then going to buy the book and really getting hit with the anti Catholic themes?

Posted

I saw it today as well. I'm going to back up HCF on this one. The overall tone of the movie, in my opinion, was not anti-Catholic, and for the most part showed the Church in a good light. There were a few exceptions, but it had to do more with the people themselves than the people in their positions in the Church.

I haven't read the book, so that might be different, but from just seeing the movie I didn't get a negative image of the Church. There was actually a lot of positive and correct things they said in the movie about faith that surprised me, like the one HCF mentioned.

HisChildForever
Posted

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1868485' date='May 16 2009, 12:33 AM']I hear one of the actors refused to do the movie until he read the script and realized that some of the worst stuff was cut out.

Do any of you think there is any danger in people enjoying the movie, then going to buy the book and really getting hit with the anti Catholic themes?[/quote]

It has been a few years since I read the book so I can not answer with complete accuracy, but the In Vitro was the hugest issue from what I can remember - and this was not in the movie as I mentioned.

[quote name='Brigid' post='1868486' date='May 16 2009, 12:33 AM']I saw it today as well. I'm going to back up HCF on this one. The overall tone of the movie, in my opinion, was not anti-Catholic, and for the most part showed the Church in a good light. There were a few exceptions, but it had to do more with the people themselves than the people in their positions in the Church.

I haven't read the book, so that might be different, but from just seeing the movie I didn't get a negative image of the Church. There was actually a lot of positive and correct things they said in the movie about faith that surprised me, like the one HCF mentioned.[/quote]

:yes: Very well said.

Posted

I saw the movie tonight and I enjoyed it. I plan on reading the book but wanted to see the movie first.

I really want to find that quote at the end of the movie from the Cardinal. I really liked it I just wish I knew what he said. I enjoyed the movie though, thought it was fun to watch. You have an thing, like the Catholic Church who has been involved in so much in the world's history, for ill and good, your going to be put out there and written about and not just in positive light. I don't think bringing out the banners or anti-catholic chants are the answer. I was talking at mass today and said I planned on watching it and my friend couldn't believe it thought I was giving Satan himself money. It gets people talking and that is a good thing. Your going to have the potential to reach many people and the idea the church was corrupt 400 years ago is not anything new or in some ways, not too far fetched.


I think its good people to talk about these things but to engage it with more then simply condemning would work a little better in my mind.

Erin!
Hope your enjoying your summer!!

HisChildForever
Posted

[quote name='Spence06' post='1869123' date='May 16 2009, 11:17 PM']Erin!
Hope your enjoying your summer!![/quote]

Thanks Neil, I hope you are too! :) I'm glad you liked the movie. In fact there were a couple of promising trailers, LOL.

Norseman82
Posted

I did not read the book, but I saw the movie tonight, since the USCCB rated it L instead of O. With the exception of some of the internal Vatican scheming and violence, I saw very few anti-Catholic messages in the movie (those being the historical inaccuracies regarding the Illuminati and Galileo). To me, it was mostly an action-packed thriller with a lot of twists and turns that actually had some messages that cast the Church in a positive light. And the last scene reminded me of how God used Cyrus of Persia to free Israel from Babylon.

Interestingly enough, the girl I've been dating was commenting on the science aspect of it, since she actually was a physicist at the CERN lab in Geneva.

Posted

Yeah I saw it and thought that, overall, it was a good film with a good message. In fact, I felt that that message (the need for the coexistence of science and religion) hearkened me back to JP2's [i]Fides et Ratio[/i].

Norseman82
Posted

[quote name='kujo' post='1873705' date='May 23 2009, 12:21 AM']Yeah I saw it and thought that, overall, it was a good film with a good message. In fact, I felt that that message (the need for the coexistence of science and religion) hearkened me back to JP2's [i]Fides et Ratio[/i].[/quote]

That's exactly what I was thinking, too.

TotusTuusMaria
Posted

well i wont be going to see it, not for fear that it will "influence me in anti-Catholic sentiments," but that I would be paying $7-10 dollars to help fund and encourage more books and movies which have the strong potential to spread lies against the Church and Jesus Christ.

This is a movie that came from the guy who also spread the fictional story that Jesus Christ was married to Mary Magdalene and had a child.

Yeah, I think I'll pass spending two or so hours of my life watching anything he comes up with. I don't need to be so badly entertained or re-hear/learn from him and his work the need for science and religion to co-exist.

Posted

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1873681' date='May 23 2009, 12:07 AM']Interestingly enough, the girl I've been dating was commenting on the science aspect of it, since she actually was a physicist at the CERN lab in Geneva.[/quote]

If you are dating alpine kat I'm way jealous

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j50ZssEojtM&feature=channel_page"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j50ZssEojtM...re=channel_page[/url]

Posted

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1873979' date='May 23 2009, 04:04 PM']well i wont be going to see it, not for fear that it will "influence me in anti-Catholic sentiments," but that I would be paying $7-10 dollars to help fund and encourage more books and movies which have the strong potential to spread lies against the Church and Jesus Christ.

This is a movie that came from the guy who also spread the fictional story that Jesus Christ was married to Mary Magdalene and had a child.

Yeah, I think I'll pass spending two or so hours of my life watching anything he comes up with. I don't need to be so badly entertained or re-hear/learn from him and his work the need for science and religion to co-exist.[/quote]

Exactly!

Posted

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1873681' date='May 22 2009, 11:07 PM']I did not read the book, but I saw the movie tonight, since the USCCB rated it L instead of O. With the exception of some of the internal Vatican scheming and violence, I saw very few anti-Catholic messages in the movie (those being the historical inaccuracies regarding the Illuminati and Galileo). To me, it was mostly an action-packed thriller with a lot of twists and turns that actually had some messages that cast the Church in a positive light. And the last scene reminded me of how God used Cyrus of Persia to free Israel from Babylon.

Interestingly enough, the girl I've been dating was commenting on the science aspect of it, since she actually was a physicist at the CERN lab in Geneva.[/quote]
Your girlfriend was involved in the evil plot to destroy the entire universe?

Cool!



I'm mostly ticked off that for reasons far beyond my comprehension, the little local movie theater is playing [i]this[/i] piece of croutons instead of [i]Terminator: Salvation.[/i]
Seriously, who in their right mind would rather watch Tom Hanks vs. the Evil Cardinals or whatever than evil robots destroying the world?? <_<

tinytherese
Posted

One solid catholic film critic writes a movie review and articles pertaining to Angels and Demons along with The Divinci Code and other films.

[url="http://www.decentfilms.com/"]http://www.decentfilms.com/[/url]

Posted (edited)

I saw it last night and enjoyed it. I thought it portrayed the Church in a good light and Tom Hanks character was on the Churches side basically the whole way. I like how it made the point that the men of the Church aren't perfect but God is. It even brought tears to my eyes in the end also. :sadder:

Although I anticipate the new Hannah Montana would of made me cry to if I went and seen it.

Edited by Guest
Posted (edited)

Hmm... well so far from what I have seen the movie presents the typical false pretense of science vs religion, an Church that is outdated and backwards in its ways, a subversive group against the Church that is really good since they were pro science, etc.

Btw... how many people watching the film will walk away thinking a branding of scientists at La Purga was a historical event?

Edited by mortify
Posted

[quote name='mortify' post='1875641' date='May 26 2009, 01:39 PM']Hmm... well so far from what I have seen the movie presents the typical false pretense of science vs religion, an Church that is outdated and backwards in its ways, a subversive group against the Church that is really good since they were pro science, etc[/quote]

Wrong.

Read the thread.

Posted

[quote name='kujo' post='1875644' date='May 26 2009, 12:44 PM']Wrong.

Read the thread.[/quote]

Watch the movie.

Posted

[quote name='mortify' post='1875649' date='May 26 2009, 01:49 PM']Watch the movie.[/quote]

I did. And I don't see any of what you're talking about. In fact, the resolution seemed to run completely antithetical to your summation of the science v. religion conflict.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...