Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

Some day some one with good sense and in need of metal will deal with it.

Posted

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1870024' date='May 17 2009, 09:48 PM']I think it's pathetic.[/quote]

:yes:

Posted

Theologically it's [i]meh[/i], but it's also iffy art, too.

I mean, the idea of having Jesus with his arms outspread in a statue is not bad: [img]http://www.kaccents.com/Pictures/95676.jpg[/img]

But the picture above is a much better [i]statue[/i] than the one in the article. The billowing clothes were not handled well. Jeans do [i]not[/i] do that, regardless of how windy it is. The sculptor seemed ambivalent about the use of more modern dress, and so tried to blend it with another style, resulting in incoherence.

This particular statue is not as bad as "Buddy Christ," but at least that one was [i]intended[/i] as parody! There is plenty of tacky religious artwork out there, but most of it is not so expensive and commisioned on purpose - it is cheap and made of plastic.

rizz_loves_jesus
Posted (edited)

I don't think it's sacrilegious, it's just.... ridiculous :rolleyes:

Edited by rizz_loves_jesus
Posted

[quote name='MithLuin' post='1870271' date='May 18 2009, 03:10 PM']The billowing clothes were not handled well. Jeans do [i]not[/i] do that, regardless of how windy it is. The sculptor seemed ambivalent about the use of more modern dress, and so tried to blend it with another style, resulting in incoherence.[/quote]

Yeah, I'm fine with the idea, but this sculpture isn't good.

The expression is strange too. I gather once it's up on the roof, it'll be looking down at people at street-level, but it kind of looks like, "Woops! Did I drop something down that hole?"

fides' Jack
Posted

Yeah, I still think it's sacrilegious, in that it's disrespectful to what we hold Sacred. It's taking Jesus down to our level by ourselves. It's not art.

You might argue here that Jesus did come down to our level, but that's not really true. He became man by taking to Himself a human nature, but He didn't exactly join the ranks of sinners. We should be holding Him up as our God, as He is, and our art should respectfully reflect that. Does the artist think of Jesus as God (our Creator, a Being to be unceasingly praised and worshipped), or as a friend they only turn to when they need something from Him? I can't say for certain about the artist, but based on the evidence in hand, it's probably closer to the latter.

Posted

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1869732' date='May 17 2009, 08:52 PM']Looks more like pajamas.[/quote]

:yes: I've never seen a pair of jeans do that.


[quote name='prose' post='1870066' date='May 18 2009, 02:13 AM']... Looks like he is falling off of that wall....[/quote]

lol :lol:


It's just absolutely horrible!

Posted

It's definitely kinda cheesy.

It's a bit over the top to call it disgusting or sacreligious.

IcePrincessKRS
Posted

[quote name='XIX' post='1870342' date='May 18 2009, 05:23 PM']It's definitely kinda cheesy.

[b]It's a bit over the top to call it disgusting or sacreligious.[/b][/quote]

I concur. The definition of sacrilege is "the violation or profanation of anything sacred or held sacred." I will wholeheartedly agree that as art it's just plain bad, tacky, etc., but I don't believe that the intent was to violate or profane the sacred. If anything they wanted to draw more people TO the sacred... they just chose a less desirable way of doing that.

The Bus Station
Posted

[quote name='virginiancatholic' post='1870134' date='May 18 2009, 10:36 AM']Dynamic and welcoming my eye. From what I've found in my interpersonal experiences and reflection that people are able to identify with Christ precisely because of his sufferings. To be a human person is to suffer and to experience pain. My Lord and God embraces me and every individual in a truly "dynamic and welcoming" way when he suffers and takes on the burdens of my life. Anyone can give you a hug, but it takes a special committed friend to suffer with you.[/quote]

Exactly.

Posted

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1870138' date='May 18 2009, 09:51 AM']HE LOOKS LIKE THE BIG LEBOWSKI :lol_pound:[/quote]
The Dude Abides.



Seriously, though, that is one stupid-looking statue.

Posted

The statue is a vulgar or common rendering of Christ, because other than the cross, which looks more like a gunsight to me, there is nothing sacred about it. There is nothing iconographically traditional about the image, i.e., there is no sacred motif to inspire the onlooker, which is why it looks profane to people with even the slightest Christian religious sensibility.

Posted (edited)

Some suggestions for study:

[u]Images of the Divine: The Theology of Icons at the Seventh Ecumenical Council[/u] - Revised Edition (Studies in the History of Christian Thought)
by Ambrosios Giakalis

and

[u]The Mystical Language Of Icons[/u]
by Solrunn Nes

Edited by Apotheoun
Posted

[quote name='fides' Jack' post='1869780' date='May 17 2009, 08:49 PM']I have to agree. This is just disrespectful and sacrilegious. I don't like people blurring the truth to try to make it more accessible to those they don't think can handle it.[/quote]
good point Jack! One reason the Church is dying in France/Europe is because no one wants to say anything anymore because people 'might' not be able to handle it or accept it, and we wouldnt want anyone to feel 'attacked', 'hurt', or anything by what we believe! That would just draw them away from religion... oh boy!
I think they might have had a good 'intention' with the statue but it does feel wrong and makes Jesus look like a 'cheesy friendly guy'
and there are Jesus bobble heads too... i dont know if you have seen those... oh boy thats a whole other issue!

Posted

If it wasn't for the beard he would look like a member from a boy-band

fides quarens intellectum
Posted

[quote name='LSW' post='1870905' date='May 19 2009, 10:59 AM']If it wasn't for the beard he would look like a member from a boy-band[/quote]

That's precisely the problem.

Posted

But how could there be anything wrong with it if the parish VOTED it to be the winner!?!? Isn't our church a democracy ran by the laity? I mean, anything voted on by the majority of people can't be wrong!!!

Oh wait.

Posted

[quote name='XIX' post='1870342' date='May 18 2009, 04:23 PM']It's definitely kinda cheesy.

It's a bit over the top to call it disgusting or sacreligious.[/quote]

iawtc.

eagle_eye222001
Posted

Inappropriate.

Looks like someone who just jumped off a building and is laughing on the way down.

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/linkin+park/track/somewhere+i+belong"]Linkin Park - Somewhere I Belong[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

Posted

Sacrilegious? Pathetic?

I mean, he's just wearing jeans...who cares?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...