Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Does It Seem That Protestants Get All The "cool" Christi


Recommended Posts

Norseman82
Posted

[quote name='buzzoff1031' post='1880102' date='Jun 1 2009, 02:13 AM']Okay, my favorite band in the world is Korn. Brian "Head" Welch became a Christian several years ago. Fieldy also became a Christian a few years ago. Also, A lot of the popular Christian music and awesome study Bibles are protestant. This has at times made me want to just be a "non-denominational" Christian. But, of course, I know that the Catholic Church is the TRUE Church. And of course, now that I've found this site, I've found some great music! But what about the celebs and cool Bibles and whatnot?[/quote]

Three words: JP2

LouisvilleFan
Posted (edited)

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1880721' date='Jun 2 2009, 12:00 AM']However without the support of the parents of the kids attending, that's not really going to happen, because, for one, they won't get any help with these activities and two, the kids just aren't going to show up.[/quote]

If you can't get help, then you start out simple. The good thing about taking a field trip is you can build trust, so when you strike up a conversation about going to Mass or praying, they are likely to open up and be honest about what the think and what they're looking for. I went on those trips to Six Flags and Opryland (may she rest in peace) with my youth group and there wasn't much of a faith component there either. We even went to a national Lutheran youth convention with plenty of opportunities to serve and learn, but our chaperones were more interested in touristering. Those are the kind of "leaders" that I feel are either spiritually lazy or afraid to do the right thing.

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1880721' date='Jun 2 2009, 12:00 AM']Not to mention, there usually isn't a lot of help from parents (at least in my experience, and I have helped with youth ministry since I was in 8th grade). It's a high energy level job, and sometimes it's just not possible for one person (or two) to set everything up and make it all work.[/quote]

I have a cousin who was a youth minister for about ten years along with his wife at a nearby parish... and I think the last thing you'd want is help from parents ;) I don't want to get too much into speculating about what works or doesn't work with youth groups... I know it's a demanding and stressful ministry. What I do know is the lower your expectations are on other people and the higher they are on God, the better off your sanity will be. That goes for all of us in whatever we are doing.

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1880721' date='Jun 2 2009, 12:00 AM']It's also difficult to work within the politics of a particular parish --my parents started out by teaching confirmation, and then Fr. convinced them to be the youth ministers. They were ecstatic when they found this wonderful Bible study for youth, that they thought they could use, both for confirmation classes and youth group. The Faith Formation coordinator took one glance at it and told them it didn't cover what they needed, and refused to allow it to be used in the confirmation classes.[/quote]

Which raises some questions: Why show the Faith Formation Coordinator anything? The parish priest hired you to do a job, so he's the one you answer to. Second, if there's no way around this coordinator, then ignore her and do your thing anyway (maybe you can create a different binder that looks like something else with the same material inside... you know, pull the ol' Trojan Horse). Third, maybe taking the coordinator out for a few drinks will ease things a bit :)

Dealing with these people is just like dealing with people in the office... it's the same power trippin', butt kissin', savin' face, white lie tellin' game playin' that goes on everywhere. In fact, I think there should be a TV show called "The Parish" :cool:

Edited by LouisvilleFan
MissScripture
Posted

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1881109' date='Jun 2 2009, 11:02 AM']If you can't get help, then you start out simple. The good thing about taking a field trip is you can build trust, so when you strike up a conversation about going to Mass or praying, they are likely to open up and be honest about what the think and what they're looking for. I went on those trips to Six Flags and Opryland (may she rest in peace) with my youth group and there wasn't much of a faith component there either. We even went to a national Lutheran youth convention with plenty of opportunities to serve and learn, but our chaperones were more interested in touristering. Those are the kind of "leaders" that I feel are either spiritually lazy or afraid to do the right thing.[/quote]
There is some "following." I mean there are several kids who show up for the "fun" as well as the "religious" stuff. But if you're going to take field trips, you can only start out so simple. If you have more than a certain number of kids, right away you need more adults, or you can't go. But you can't always do that anyway, and it still doesn't win the "battle" for time, so to speak.

[quote]I have a cousin who was a youth minister for about ten years along with his wife at a nearby parish... and I think the last thing you'd want is help from parents ;) I don't want to get too much into speculating about what works or doesn't work with youth groups... I know it's a demanding and stressful ministry. What I do know is the lower your expectations are on other people and the higher they are on God, the better off your sanity will be. That goes for all of us in whatever we are doing.[/quote]
Again, you need SOME help from parents, because to DO things, you NEED other adults around. It's how it works. To take the kids anywhere off of parish property, you NEED one adult for ever certain number of kids. It's not a matter of expecting a LOT out of the people, it's a matter of getting them to show up, and possibly drive a vehicle.

[quote]Which raises some questions: Why show the Faith Formation Coordinator anything? The parish priest hired you to do a job, so he's the one you answer to. Second, if there's no way around this coordinator, then ignore her and do your thing anyway (maybe you can create a different binder that looks like something else with the same material inside... you know, pull the ol' Trojan Horse). Third, maybe taking the coordinator out for a few drinks will ease things a bit :)

Dealing with these people is just like dealing with people in the office... it's the same power trippin', butt kissin', savin' face, white lie tellin' game playin' that goes on everywhere. In fact, I think there should be a TV show called "The Parish" :cool:[/quote]
They were hired to be the Youth Ministers. The Confirmation classes they volunteered to do, therefore the Faith Formation Coordinator is still technically in charge of those. It's a little more than just ignoring her --for one thing, they're not the only teachers, so all the teachers need to be teaching the same material. Besides, that was merely an example of the parish politics. I was just using it to illustrate the fact that, like in an office, there are many times when you don't really get a chance to do anything, through no fault of your own, and it's highly unfair to label people as lazy, because they are blocked from accomplishing anything. ;)

Posted

I think Protestant churches are just more friendly to newcomers. Your typical Catholic parish is pretty large, and based on families, so a newcomer will likely be not noticed or ignored unless they come with someone from that parish. I'll can give an example from my own experience...

When I attended my first mass, I knew I wanted to be a part of the Church. Guess who noticed me? (I was rather noticable, since I wasn't sure about how to follow the service.) A Baptist couple who liked to attend that particular mass. They came charging up to me after the service to introduce themselves and to welcome me...even though it wasn't their church. They then introduced me to one of the volunteers at the parish.

The volunteer welcomed me, and informed me that I was welcome to continue attending the mass, even if I wasn't Catholic. I said I wanted to join. He said "it's OK, you don't have to join, it is OK to just attend." (I should mention that this is an overseas 'mission' parish for expatriate Catholics, and there are postings about who can take communion.) I said "But I WANT to join." The Baptist couple were really excited for me, but the church volunteer was very dubious of me. Finally, I convinced him, and he introduced me to the Sr. who does the adult preparation. If it hadn't been for that couple, I would have had a very tough time approaching anyone.


It seems like the Catholic church has limited interest in converts or new Christians...my impression so far is that those most committed to the church tend to be consumed with internal controversies and rules, and to have a 'us and them' attitude about the 'world' and about 'sinners'.

I have attended (with friends) one of those Protestant gigantic mega-churches, and they still manage to notice newcomers...and there is usually immediate support for newcomers. I had to wait 6 months for my instruction to start, and I never had anyone talk to me in the meantime...I made a couple of appointments with the Fr. to ask questions, but only cause I was brave enough. No one from the church offered anything to me in the way of guidance.

Anyway, I am not exactly a 'cool' person, but I am sure that other seekers who experience similar things...I have been to other Catholic parishes and they were similarly unwelcoming to newcomers.

loveletslive
Posted

Matt Maher is an AWESOME catholic music artist. he even gets plays on protestant radio stations :) [url="http://www.mattmahermusic.com/"]http://www.mattmahermusic.com/[/url]

Posted

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1880598' date='Jun 1 2009, 07:52 PM']My parents are doing youth ministry at our parish --they get so irritated, because there are a few kids who come only for the "fun stuff" (trips to amusement parks) and bring along friends who go to a protestant church, where they normally attend "youth group." The parents of these kids have complained that there isn't enough for them to do at our parish --that is, just fun stuff without all that religion mixed in! Essentially, the only reason those kids go to anything is because it's fun. It doesn't matter to them if it's Catholic, protestant or what, just so long as it's fun, and they don't need to pay attention to that whole religion aspect of it. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Have you ever spoken to protestant ministers? Many of them have the same problem. Keep in mind, often we only see the "big" concerts and events. I have plenty of experience with protestant ministers that are experiencing the same thing (kids showing up just for the "fun" stuff).

MissScripture
Posted

[quote name='prose' post='1881706' date='Jun 2 2009, 11:56 PM']Have you ever spoken to protestant ministers? Many of them have the same problem. Keep in mind, often we only see the "big" concerts and events. I have plenty of experience with protestant ministers that are experiencing the same thing (kids showing up just for the "fun" stuff).[/quote]
Oh, I know. That's what I meant! The only reason the kids are attending the protestant one is for the "fun," as well. It just makes it that much more difficult to compete with, so to speak.

But I do think our big youth gatherings top theirs. WYD anyone? :mellow:

Posted (edited)

Problem with that is that WYD is for 18-35 year olds, and we are sorely lacking in events for 12-18 year olds...

Edited by prose
heavenseeker
Posted

ok i didnt read everything but we have: A) the Pope, B) NCYC here in the US, C) World Youth Day, D) tons of amazing religious sites all over the world. none of which can be claimed by any of the protestants, so its not that we dont have cool stuff its just that its not that hip/ newest fad stuff like what they have. if you think of it i rather have whats going to be seen as cool forever instead of whats deemed cool today but then next month or so is then lame

LouisvilleFan
Posted

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1881491' date='Jun 2 2009, 09:05 PM']They were hired to be the Youth Ministers. The Confirmation classes they volunteered to do, therefore the Faith Formation Coordinator is still technically in charge of those. It's a little more than just ignoring her --for one thing, they're not the only teachers, so all the teachers need to be teaching the same material. Besides, that was merely an example of the parish politics.[/quote]

I'm just trying to understand the situation, mostly to learn a little more about how parishes function... so they were part of a group of teachers who work under the coordinator? And it's the coordinator's responsibility to come up with teaching material so everyone's on the same page. So I'm left with the impression that it wasn't their responsibility to find teaching material, but they did anyway, and when their suggestion was refused they got upset. Obviously they care about doing a good job, but I can also see why the coordinator needs to make sure different teachers aren't overlapping or even teaching contradictory stuff. Why not just use the material the coordinator wants taught?

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1881491' date='Jun 2 2009, 09:05 PM']I was just using it to illustrate the fact that, like in an office, there are many times when you don't really get a chance to do anything, through no fault of your own, and it's highly unfair to label people as lazy, because they are blocked from accomplishing anything. ;)[/quote]

People (including myself) who want something bad enough find a way to get it... the rest are either lazy or don't really want it... probably a little of both.

LouisvilleFan
Posted

[quote name='jumpfrog' post='1881498' date='Jun 2 2009, 09:20 PM']I think Protestant churches are just more friendly to newcomers. Your typical Catholic parish is pretty large, and based on families, so a newcomer will likely be not noticed or ignored unless they come with someone from that parish. I'll can give an example from my own experience...[/quote]

Well, I've also experienced Protestant churches that weren't any friendlier than a typical Catholic parish, but then it was mostly young adults who were trying to maintain their image. I actually preferred the cold shoulders to the freaky smiles at suburban churches... it seemed more honest. I always liked that Catholic parishes weren't overly friendly. We could do more to help newcomers feel like they belong, but too much smiling and hand shaking makes it look like we're pawning off used cars.

All a parish needs to do is become intentional about inviting people to join in some form of ministry, small group, or even lunch after Mass. In fact, I think eating meals together is the best way to form community and help people feel like they belong in your midst. Is it any mystery that Jesus almost always ate with those he loved?

LouisvilleFan
Posted

[quote name='jumpfrog' post='1881498' date='Jun 2 2009, 09:20 PM']I think Protestant churches are just more friendly to newcomers. Your typical Catholic parish is pretty large, and based on families, so a newcomer will likely be not noticed or ignored unless they come with someone from that parish. I'll can give an example from my own experience...[/quote]

Well, I've also experienced Protestant churches that weren't any friendlier than a typical Catholic parish, but then it was mostly young adults who were trying to maintain their image. I actually preferred the cold shoulders to the freaky smiles at suburban churches... it seemed more honest. I always liked that Catholic parishes weren't overly friendly. We could do more to help newcomers feel like they belong, but too much smiling and hand shaking makes it look like we're pawning off used cars.

All a parish needs to do is become intentional about inviting people to join in some form of ministry, small group, or even lunch after Mass. In fact, I think eating meals together is the best way to form community and help people feel like they belong in your midst. Is it any mystery that Jesus almost always ate with those he loved?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...