An Old School Catholic Message Board

Anne Catherine Emmerich ~ Evangelicals

Bruce S

Jason

Zippo problem with Peter ...

It is those teenaged gilded lilly followups that give one pause.

The problem here is no one wants to think deep on things, just cut and paste. Shame, because I suspect you all are VERY intelligent, just blinded by arrogance.

I don't have that problem, anyone that is as messed up as I perceive myself to be, is glad God will give ME a janitor job in heaven, and a culvert to sleep under there is MORE than I had ever hoped to have.

Livin_the_MASS

[quote]The problem here is no one wants to think deep on things, just cut and paste.[/quote]

[b]I typed the quote and have read the book[/b], so I have thought on the subject if I understand your question?

Edited by Jason

Livin_the_MASS

Bruce,

The Catholic Church has 2000 years of Tradition. When I quote A Saint or Scripture it is because people before with more intelligance on subjects have already answered questions concerning issues! Thats the whole point I can go back 2000 years look it up type it out and give you the documents!

If you want opinions, you will have endless battles. I can't interpret Sripture the way I want. I see it as the Church interprets it. The Church is the only Authority that interprets Scripture. Why do you think there is so many denomonations out there, [b][u]because of opinions! [/u][/b]

Why did you leave the Catholic Faith? If you wish to answer?

God Bless
Jason

Edited by Jason

[quote]The Catholic Church has 2000 years of Tradition. When I quote A Saint or Scripture it is because people before with more intelligance on subjects have already answered questions concerning issues! Thats the whole point I can go back 2000 years look it up type it out and give you the documents!
[/quote]

Ah, the old "pick and chose" approach.

Hmmm...

I guess RETROACTIVELY we can all be perfect scholars too.

Or do we get to EXAMINE the "tradition" that got tossed out with last years bathwater too, or not?

[quote]Why do you think there is so many denomonations out there, because of opinions!
[/quote]

Like why we are not Messianic Jews? That was the FIRST little Protest against denominationalism, Christians walked on them, fled to Perea before the sack of Jerusalem by the Romans in the year 70, of course, noticing little inconsistancies like that tends to poke some SERIOUS holes in the "unified theory of WE ARE ALWAYS RIGHT" does it not?

Edited by Bruce S

Good old anti-ecumenical mystics. We need some more of them this day in age; someone who could have played Nathan to John Paul II's king David at Assisi...

"Ever since that time, as I was saying, everything seems endurable in comparison with one instant of suffering such as those I had then to bear in Hell. I am filled with fear when I see that, after frequently reading books which describe in some manner the pains of Hell, I was not afraid of them, nor made any account of them. Where was I? How could I possibly take any pleasure in those things which led me directly to so dreadful a place? Blessed forever be Thou, O my God! And oh, how manifest is it that Thou didst love me much more than I did love Thee! How often, O Lord, didst Thou save me from that fearful prison! And how I used to get back to it contrary to Thy will.

"It was that vision which filled me with very great distress which I felt at the sight of so many lost souls, especially of the Lutherans - for they were once members of the Church by Baptism - and also gave me the most vehement desires for the salvation of souls; for certainly I believe that to save even one from those overwhelming torments, I would willingly endure many deaths. If here on earth we see one whom we specially love in great trouble or pain, our very nature seems to bid us compassionate him; and if those pains be great, we are troubled ourselves. What, then, must it be to see a soul in danger of pain, the most grievous of all pains, forever? It is a thought no heart can bear without great anguish. Here we know that pain at last ends with life, and that there are limits to it, yet the sight of it moves us so greatly to compassion; that other pain has no ending, and I know not how we can be calm when we see Satan carry so many souls daily away."
Revelation to St. Teresa of Avila, Doctor of the Church

[quote name='Bruce S' date='Mar 28 2004, 06:10 PM'] Like why we are not Messianic Jews? That was the FIRST little Protest against denominationalism, Christians walked on them, fled to Perea before the sack of Jerusalem by the Romans in the year 70, of course, noticing little inconsistancies like that tends to poke some SERIOUS holes in the "unified theory of WE ARE ALWAYS RIGHT" does it not? [/quote]
They may have attended synagogues, but they would have all been under one teaching authority and had unity of Communion and belief.

[quote]They may have attended synagogues, but they would have all been under one teaching authority and had unity of Communion and belief.[/quote]

They had thier squabbles too...they were human, human's love to disagree. Don't make them out to be really any different than we are today.

Otherwise Paul would not have had to write all those CORRECTIVE letters to the church's he planted.

CatholicAndFanatical

[quote]
Zippo problem with Peter ...

It is those teenaged gilded lilly followups that give one pause.

The problem here is no one wants to think deep on things, just cut and paste. Shame, because I suspect you all are VERY intelligent, just blinded by arrogance.
[/quote]

Bruce, either your forgetting or fail to see how the Church was ran in the first century. It clearly shows in Acts where someone replaced Judas as an Apostle, why did they do that? Because the bible says 'May another take his office'. So if an Apostle is to be replaced upon death, why then wouldnt the Chair of Peter be also? Why is it that by reading documents from as early as 80AD they mention the role of the Vicar of Christ and strengthen our claim, then look to something from around 100AD and see that there is still the Vicar of Christ as a successor to Peter? Because 'Another took his office' like scriptures say.

I think your the one that cannot think deep on this issue. You cant see reality on this topic only what your errored pastor teachs. You think we just cut and paste, and mainly I do, only because I dont feel like writting everything out, but I read everything I paste and believe it as Church Teachings. You can only hide from Historical proven facts for so long. This isnt arrogance at all. This is just stepping up and telling it how it is. Why is it that only Catholics can show historical documents on how the Church is and no one else? Beside that mystic you quoted I dont think I have ever seen you post one historical fact to show that the Catholic Church wasnt the Church Christ founded. And if you know that it is the One Church, then its your obligation to follow it or risk denying Christ.

CatholicAndFanatical

[quote]
The Catholic Church has 2000 years of Tradition. When I quote A Saint or Scripture it is because people before with more intelligance on subjects have already answered questions concerning issues! Thats the whole point I can go back 2000 years look it up type it out and give you the documents!

Ah, the old "pick and chose" approach.

[/quote]

why is this pick and choose? To post what the Early Church Fathers taught and wrote is pick and choose? I think its called "getting the facts straight". Pick and choose is what prots do when they try to justify or prove Sola Scriptura or Sola Fide.

Livin_the_MASS

[quote name='Bruce S' date='Mar 29 2004, 09:31 AM']
They had thier squabbles too...they were human, human's love to disagree. Don't make them out to be really any different than we are today.

Otherwise Paul would not have had to write all those CORRECTIVE letters to the church's he planted. [/quote]
If you read the lives of the Saints, they didn't look for "squabbles"!

They were human yes! But they didn't look for trouble either.

Paul was correcting them, because they were wrong in certain issues!

Paul suffered for them remember "Now I rejoice in my suffering for your sake, and in my flesh I am filling up what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ on behalf of his body, which is the church." (Col 1:24)

Our suffering saves souls, when and only when, we unite them to Christs suffering on His Holy Christ.

Yet you say they or he liked to argue? Nonsense!

God Bless
Jason

Edited by Jason