An Old School Catholic Message Board

My 4 Day Visit With The Carmelite Nuns Of Philly, Pa

Laudem Gloriae

Laudem Gloriae

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1887072' date='Jun 9 2009, 10:58 AM']Thank you for sharing, and God bless you on your journey. :)

Where in Philly are the Carmelite Nuns located?[/quote]

I have never been to Philly before so all I can say is their address is (and for anyone wanting to write them):

Carmelite Monastery
Mother Barbara
1400 66th Street (corner of 66th and York Ave)
Philadelphia, PA 19126-2764

And they are about 30-40 minutes from the Philly International Airport.

[quote name='Laudem Gloriae' post='1887086' date='Jun 9 2009, 12:35 PM']I have never been to Philly before so all I can say is their address is (and for anyone wanting to write them):

Carmelite Monastery
Mother Barbara
1400 66th Street (corner of 66th and York Ave)
Philadelphia, PA 19126-2764

And they are about 30-40 minutes from the Philly International Airport.[/quote]

West Philly. Not the safest area compared to other areas in the city (North Philly is worse).

littlesister

Some reassurance from a neighborhood native, Paladin : Carmel is clear on the other side of town from West Philly. It's at "6600" all right, but going in the opposite direction, and beyond the sorriest areas on the north.

Laudem, I'm so happy for you that your visit was good. The video clips did bring back a
raft of memories of Sunday Benedictions, slipping in to hear the nuns chant midday prayer and see what pretty colored robes the Infant of Prague was wearing that day, and, ultimately, decisions to be made!

• 1 month later...
Laudem Gloriae

Here is a great link a good friend sent me as she knew I went and visited these beautiful and traditional Carmelite nuns in Philly and tried to explain how beautiful their chapel was. But even these pictures nor others can do it any justice. You have to be there in person.

The blog post is about the Feast of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel of this past July for their Solemn High Mass (in the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite) .

[url="http://roamincatholicphiladelphia.blogspot.com/2009/07/feast-of-our-lady-of-mount-carmel.html"]http://roamincatholicphiladelphia.blogspot...un
t-carmel.html[/url]

I love the way you write about these Carmelite communities. Full of details and interesting tit-bits without being gossipy! What a wonderful Carmelite you will make, no matter what shores you land!

Laudem Gloriae

deusluxmea,

Thank you for your beautiful and kind comments! I loved these Carmelites - they were all so warm and friendly and so holy. It is too bad these pictures don't show a glass case on the wall that contains relics and some things of St. (Pardre) Pio's and also in the extern part of the monastery in a small kitchen where I ate and there was food and near the kitchen turn where the sisters delivered my food to me, there is a small room off this kitchen that has a large wall crucifix with a plaque that says a crucifix of St. Pio's that he held and kissed! A nun in this monastery knew him so hence the added devotion to him.

• 6 years later...

Now I can't find the name of the Georgetown Carmel! I'm trying to make a list for my "Carmelite" clients! Thanks in advance to anybody who knows....

Does anybody know the "name" of this Carmel? Usually Carmelite Monasteries are named "something." Thank you.

Rose

Since this thread is very old, you may want to start a new one.  In the meantime, I took a look through their website as well as the Discalced Carmelite's official website and there is no mention of a convent name anywhere. 

Now I can't find the name of the Georgetown Carmel! I'm trying to make a list for my "Carmelite" clients! Thanks in advance to anybody who knows....

J.M.+J.T.

The Georgetown Carmel in California is called the Carmelite Monastery of the Holy Face and St. Therese ;) I'm sorry I can't help out with the Philly Carmel.

• 5 years later...
SicutColumba
On 5/10/2021 at 12:53 PM, DMF said:

Whatever happened to Laudem Gloriae....did she ultimately enter Carmel...???

I looked up the Sheffield Carmel and one of the first things that pops up is a blog that I'm nearly positive belonged to her. It seems like she entered at Sheffield. 

Of course I got the idea to look up the Sheffield Carmel because she had written in her bio that she was going to enter there.