Vincent Vega Posted June 30, 2009 Posted June 30, 2009 Is it alright to refer to protestant ministers/clergy as "Reverend..." or an equivalent title? How about Anglican/Episcopalian clergy - should they be referred to as "Father..."? What is your opinion on the matter?
Resurrexi Posted June 30, 2009 Posted June 30, 2009 (edited) I would refer to a Protestant minister as Mr. Last Name or Mrs. Last Name. Unless he has received the Sacrament of Order in a valid rite from a validly ordained bishop, an Anglican minister is no different that a Protestant minister from another sect. Edited June 30, 2009 by Resurrexi
Vincent Vega Posted June 30, 2009 Author Posted June 30, 2009 [quote name='Resurrexi' post='1905828' date='Jun 29 2009, 10:15 PM']I would refer to a Protestant minister as Mr. Last Name or Mrs. Last Name. An Anglican ministers is no different that a Protestant minister from another sect, unless he has received the Sacrament of Order in a valid rite from a validly ordained bishop.[/quote] As to the Anglican part of the question, that was mainly if one's answer was "yes" to the first part.
Brother Adam Posted June 30, 2009 Posted June 30, 2009 The only time I do not call someone by the name they wish to be called is in the case of Mormon missionaries. I will insist on using their first name. We would be deeply offended if an non-Catholic insisted on calling a priest "Mr." and it would accomplish nothing towards any reasonable dialogue. We may not accept the validity of a persons authority, but we can respect them.
Resurrexi Posted June 30, 2009 Posted June 30, 2009 (edited) [quote name='Brother Adam' post='1905857' date='Jun 29 2009, 10:28 PM']The only time I do not call someone by the name they wish to be called is in the case of Mormon missionaries. I will insist on using their first name. We would be deeply offended if an non-Catholic insisted on calling a priest "Mr." and it would accomplish nothing towards any reasonable dialogue. We may not accept the validity of a persons authority, but we can respect them.[/quote] Before the Counter-Reformation, priests were actually called Sir in England, which is much like the title Mr. today. Priests in Italy are still called [i]Don[/i], the Italian equivalent of Sir. Edited June 30, 2009 by Resurrexi
OraProMe Posted June 30, 2009 Posted June 30, 2009 I'd call an Anglican priest Father out of respect. Some people here may think that implies recognition of their orders but I disagree. It's just polite. Fr. Tim Finnigan who I'm sure no one here suspects of heterodoxy refers to anglican ministers as "Father____" on his blog.
Vincent Vega Posted June 30, 2009 Author Posted June 30, 2009 [quote name='Brother Adam' post='1905857' date='Jun 29 2009, 10:28 PM']The only time I do not call someone by the name they wish to be called is in the case of Mormon missionaries. I will insist on using their first name. We would be deeply offended if an non-Catholic insisted on calling a priest "Mr." and it would accomplish nothing towards any reasonable dialogue. We may not accept the validity of a persons authority, but we can respect them.[/quote] I can see this side of it too, as I would be offended if someone were to call my parish priest "Mr.", so I don't see how it's right to call a protestant minister "Mr." either. [quote name='Resurrexi' post='1905859' date='Jun 29 2009, 10:31 PM']Before the Counter-Reformation, priests were actually called Sir in England, which is much like the title Mr. today.[/quote] So when a book says Utopia was written by "Sir Thomas More", it's actually a bit of an insult towards him?
Resurrexi Posted June 30, 2009 Posted June 30, 2009 [quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1905863' date='Jun 29 2009, 10:34 PM']So when a book says Utopia was written by "Sir Thomas More", it's actually a bit of an insult towards him?[/quote] St. Thomas More was called "Sir" because he was a knight.
Vincent Vega Posted June 30, 2009 Author Posted June 30, 2009 [quote name='Resurrexi' post='1905866' date='Jun 29 2009, 10:36 PM']St. Thomas More was called "Sir" because he was a knight.[/quote] Hmm, yes. Was he a priest, though? In any case, I think that "Saint" is probably better than any of the Orders of the Queen.
Resurrexi Posted June 30, 2009 Posted June 30, 2009 (edited) [quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1905869' date='Jun 29 2009, 10:38 PM']Hmm, yes. Was he a priest, though? In any case, I think that "Saint" is probably better than any of the Orders of the Queen. [/quote] No, he was not a priest. Also, it was a king rather than a queen who knighted him. Edited June 30, 2009 by Resurrexi
LouisvilleFan Posted June 30, 2009 Posted June 30, 2009 Regarding Sir Thomas More, it is interesting that he is known in secular circles as "Sir" and among Catholics as "Saint" considering his last words: "I die the king's good servant, but God's first." I refer to Protestant ministers by whatever title their community calls them. Among American Protestants, only Episcopalians use the "Father" title. I grew up Lutheran and we called our minister "Pastor," which is the title most Protestants use. Of course, since I see no problem with recognizing the fact that a certain person is indeed the pastor of a congregation, calling them such isn't an issue.
CatherineM Posted June 30, 2009 Posted June 30, 2009 I usually refer to ministers in the manner that they have been introduced to me as. I only call Catholic priests father.
Resurrexi Posted June 30, 2009 Posted June 30, 2009 [quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1905892' date='Jun 29 2009, 10:58 PM']Of course, since I see no problem with recognizing the fact that a certain person is indeed the pastor of a congregation, calling them such isn't an issue.[/quote] Protestant ministers do not have ecclesiastical jurisdiction...
LouisvilleFan Posted June 30, 2009 Posted June 30, 2009 [quote name='CatherineM' post='1905899' date='Jun 30 2009, 01:02 AM']I usually refer to ministers in the manner that they have been introduced to me as. I only call Catholic priests father.[/quote] What about Orthodox priests? [quote name='Resurrexi' post='1905902' date='Jun 30 2009, 01:04 AM']Protestant ministers do not have ecclesiastical jurisdiction...[/quote] They aren't pastoring Catholic congregations...
Resurrexi Posted June 30, 2009 Posted June 30, 2009 (edited) [quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1905913' date='Jun 29 2009, 11:10 PM']They aren't pastoring Catholic congregations...[/quote] That does not change the fact that Protestant ministers do not have ecclesiastical jurisdiction and thus cannot be pastors. Edited June 30, 2009 by Resurrexi
OraProMe Posted June 30, 2009 Posted June 30, 2009 Res, it's a matter of respect. You'll never get far in the real word if you insist on having tunnel vision.
cappie Posted June 30, 2009 Posted June 30, 2009 [quote name='Resurrexi' post='1905859' date='Jun 30 2009, 01:31 PM']Before the Counter-Reformation, priests were actually called Sir in England, which is much like the title Mr. today.[/quote] In Australia priests and Protestant ministers were called Mr up until the 20th Century. In Law Catholic priests along with Protestant ministers are call Reverend. I would give everyone the respect that is their due regardless.
Resurrexi Posted June 30, 2009 Posted June 30, 2009 (edited) [quote name='OraProMe' post='1905932' date='Jun 29 2009, 11:21 PM']You'll never get far in the real word if you insist on having tunnel vision.[/quote] If I recall correctly, you are still in high school as well. I would thus infer that you probably do not know [i]too [/i]much more about the real world than I do. Edited June 30, 2009 by Resurrexi
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now