An Old School Catholic Message Board

Purity Rings

brokensparrow

brokensparrow

I was wondering what everyone thought about purity rings.

First off, do you think they're a good idea?
Secondly, what happens if you "mess up"? Should you get a new one?

I think they are a pretty decent idea. It's more popular in Protestant circles than Catholics ones but it's still a good idea. We can all use a little reminder to lead holy lives, a purity ring is one of many of those little reminders.

And like any sacramental (purity rings at least in Catholic circles are blessed by a priest) the sinfulness of the wearer doesn't do anything to the sacramental. People that wear the brown scapular sin just like everyone else. That doesn't mean that every time they sin they need a new scapular. So even if a person wearing a purity ring messes up it doesn't take the blessing away from the purity ring. :)

Purity Rings are a good reminder but it should not be thought that it will automatically make you pure in the sense that it will protect you from temptation and such. There must be resolve and dedication in which the ring symbolizes.

If you mess up you certainly don't need a new ring. The ring is only a symbol of the person's decision to remain pure. If you mess up you pick yourself up and try again. :)

As the dad of three daughters, I have no objection to a purity ring.

Our daughters are now 40 to 44, and purity rings were not all that known when they were teens.

While a purity ring does not equal a chastity belt, it is a very good reminder to both parties to stay on this side of inappropriate activity.

sacredheartandbloodofjesus

I would recommend the Purity Chord of St. Philomena(Virgin and Martry) Read her story and think about getting her purity chord and get it blessed, then wear it around your waist.

I think they are kind of unnecessary, personally. I wore a regular bracelet for a while just as a personal reminder to myself. It didn't change anything. Purity, IMO, is a state of life and an internal attitude. :)

tinytherese

Perhaps wearing a miraculous medal, something given to us from Our Mother Most Pure could be used as well or a ring with the miraculous medal on it.

Vasilius Konstantinos

[quote name='brokensparrow' post='1906355' date='Jun 30 2009, 02:42 PM']I was wondering what everyone thought about purity rings.

First off, do you think they're a good idea?
Secondly, what happens if you "mess up"? Should you get a new one?[/quote]

I had one long long ago. Its now at the bottom of the Santa Monica pier when I committed a grievous sin upon my soul long ago. But since then I was not a fan of them in the first place because it felt like more pressure being added on to pressure which came naturally in this day and age.

I do not think they are a good idea, nor a bad one either. Its up to you if you wish to have something physical on your person to remind you of a promise you made to yourself. To some its more of a hindrance as it shows a negative light on the subject in general, a constant reminder of the pressures of sex whereas to others its uplifting and reminds them to obey their commitment. To me it was a negative, as it was also a challenge to some of the women around me at that point in my life. Yes I was not around the nicest nor pure of people.

If you mess up do not get a new one. Your own body and mind is the only ring you need after that experience. Once one [b]willingly gives him/herself[/b] over to sex its done. Rape or Incest is not a choice, so I do not count that at all. I never believed in the whole second virgin idea, as its pretty much a lame excuse to get people to buy rings at conferences. I do not mean to sound harsh but its a reality issue people are sensitive with and its too real to be sensitive over.

tinytherese

[quote name='Vasilius Konstantinos' post='1910697' date='Jul 4 2009, 12:56 PM']I had one long long ago. Its now at the bottom of the Santa Monica pier when I committed a grievous sin upon my soul long ago. But since then I was not a fan of them in the first place because it felt like more pressure being added on to pressure which came naturally in this day and age.

I do not think they are a good idea, nor a bad one either. Its up to you if you wish to have something physical on your person to remind you of a promise you made to yourself. To some its more of a hindrance as it shows a negative light on the subject in general, a constant reminder of the pressures of sex whereas to others its uplifting and reminds them to obey their commitment. To me it was a negative, as it was also a challenge to some of the women around me at that point in my life. Yes I was not around the nicest nor pure of people.

If you mess up do not get a new one. Your own body and mind is the only ring you need after that experience. Once one [b]willingly gives him/herself[/b] over to sex its done. Rape or Incest is not a choice, so I do not count that at all. I never believed in the whole second virgin idea, as its pretty much a lame excuse to get people to buy rings at conferences. I do not mean to sound harsh but its a reality issue people are sensitive with and its too real to be sensitive over.[/quote]

Yes, they're not everyone. As far as the "second virgin" I personally don't use that term. You can't magically get back your virginity, but you can start over and renew one's committment to purity though. Yea, renewed purity is the way to go.

I agree with St. Colette that rings are more popular in protestant circles.

I see it as a way of their inner-Catholicity coming out. The rings are quasi-sacramentals in a way. I always find it interesting how these little things started by our separated brethern are SOO catholic in essence.

Someone else recommended St. Philomena's Cord. I agree. Use the power of a sacramental. The ring, while cute and possibly hip (do people say 'hip' anymore?) in the end, it is nothing but an honest imitation of a sacramental, imho.

Get the real thing :)

I personally never heard of the St. Philomena's Cord. Neat.

However, I have a purity ring. It isn't a purity ring per se. It is more of just a ring my parents gave me on my confirmation. It fits me well.

Really though. Purity is in the heart. A ring is going to "make" you pure. It is more of a reminder.

I wore it for some time and then took it off because I wasn't gettig any dates. I know this sounds stupid but I thought one of the reasons was because people mistook the ring for a wedding band. I don't know how many guys asked me, "Are you married?" oh and patients too, "How long have you been married?" It never mattered which finger it was on either.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='MIkolbe' post='1910943' date='Jul 4 2009, 08:08 PM']I agree with St. Colette that rings are more popular in protestant circles.

[b]I see it as a way of their inner-Catholicity coming out. The rings are quasi-sacramentals in a way. I always find it interesting how these little things started by our separated brethern are SOO catholic in essence.[/b]

Someone else recommended St. Philomena's Cord. I agree. Use the power of a sacramental. The ring, while cute and possibly hip (do people say 'hip' anymore?) in the end, it is nothing but an honest imitation of a sacramental, imho.

Get the real thing :)[/quote]
Yes, and I must say, I think they are sort of a status symble among Protestant moms... "Oh, yes... well dh and I took Janie to get her ring... you know, her [i]purity ring [/i]last week." Um. What does one say in reply, "How nice"?

piano_freak184

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1912131' date='Jul 5 2009, 10:01 PM']Yes, and I must say, I think they are sort of a status symble among Protestant moms... "Oh, yes... well dh and I took Janie to get her ring... you know, her [i]purity ring [/i]last week." Um. What does one say in reply, "How nice"?[/quote]
Yeah really, what [i]do[/i] you say to that?

Edited by piano_freak184

Deus te Amat

[quote name='picchick' post='1911942' date='Jul 5 2009, 07:28 PM']I wore it for some time and then took it off because I wasn't getting any dates. I know this sounds stupid but I thought one of the reasons was because people mistook the ring for a wedding band. I don't know how many guys asked me, "Are you married?" oh and patients too, "How long have you been married?" It never mattered which finger it was on either.[/quote]

I wear a purity ring on my left ring finger. It's silver and says "purity".

A priest asked me once if I was married. When I was 17. :mellow: I looked like I was 14. It was awkward, lol.

I also have a claddagh ring on my right hand. Much more distinguishable though. ;)

I wear them as a reminder of the commitment I've made to myself and God. I can't imagine taking them off now (I've been wearing one for near four years), but I don't expect other people to do the same as me. I don't think purity is represented solely by a ring around a finger.

• 5 years later...

I'm bumping this thread partly because I want see what other people's opinions are and partly because I am too lazy to make my own thread.

What do you think of purity rings? What finger should one be worn on?

I have worn one since I was 15 and absolutely love my ring. Lately my mom keeps bringing up the subject of the ring discouraging guys from asking me out. She has been saying that since the day I first started looking into wearing one. Because of my age at the time, I never gave much thought or worry to it. Now as a young adult who as never dated before, I am starting to wonder if the ring may play a part in it.

What do you think?

Discuss!

Edited by 4LoveofJMJ