hoosieranna Posted July 1, 2009 Posted July 1, 2009 [quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1907284' date='Jul 1 2009, 04:05 PM']Yes, but only three books a year, of which one "classic". So I only read six classics for school. The Scarlet Letter, etc. Did a few on the side for fun, though [/quote] I'm so sorry! [i]The Scarlet Letter[/i] is up there with [i]The Grapes of Wrath[/i] among books I was forced to read and didn't especially enjoy. If you liked it... I'm a [i]1984[/i] kind of gal.
rachael Posted July 1, 2009 Posted July 1, 2009 [quote name='Nadezhda' post='1907303' date='Jul 1 2009, 03:12 PM']I'm so sorry! [i]The Scarlet Letter[/i] is up there with [i]The Grapes of Wrath[/i] among books I was forced to read and didn't especially enjoy. If you liked it... I'm a [i]1984[/i] kind of gal.[/quote] oooh....1984 is my fave! that and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
VeniteAdoremus Posted July 1, 2009 Posted July 1, 2009 [quote name='rachael' post='1907307' date='Jul 1 2009, 11:15 PM']oooh....1984 is my fave! that and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest [/quote] I read both of those I loved [i]Animal Farm[/i] as well. And we read "The Handmaid's Tale". I especially remembered The Scarlet Letter because I read that in my first year of secondary school (the American system confuses me, but here it's the year in which you turn 12 or 13 years old), and later I read a book that was translated from English ("Tomorrow when the war began", an Australian book), and it mentioned the protagonist reading a book called "The Scarlet Letter", only it was translated with the word "brief", as in a letter you send through the post, instead of "letter". I was [i]so[/i] shocked and decided on the spot that I'd never read a translated book again if I knew the original language.
rhetoricfemme Posted July 1, 2009 Posted July 1, 2009 [quote name='Resurrexi' post='1907274' date='Jul 1 2009, 01:58 PM']That is the other book that I need to read before the beginning of the school year, actually.[/quote] It's a great book, and it says a lot. I hope you like it.
hoosieranna Posted July 1, 2009 Posted July 1, 2009 [quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1907313' date='Jul 1 2009, 04:22 PM']I read both of those I loved [i]Animal Farm[/i] as well. And we read "The Handmaid's Tale". I especially remembered The Scarlet Letter because I read that in my first year of secondary school (the American system confuses me, but here it's the year in which you turn 12 or 13 years old), and later I read a book that was translated from English ("Tomorrow when the war began", an Australian book), and it mentioned the protagonist reading a book called "The Scarlet Letter", only it was translated with the word "brief", as in a letter you send through the post, instead of "letter". I was [i]so[/i] shocked and decided on the spot that I'd never read a translated book again if I knew the original language.[/quote] I haven't read Cuckoo. I enjoyed [i]Animal Farm[/i] as well as [i]The Handmaid's Tale[/i]. We read it my first year in college. Our first year of secondary school is at 14. Between about 12 and 14 we endure something called middle school or junior high. :blech:
Resurrexi Posted July 1, 2009 Author Posted July 1, 2009 (edited) [quote name='Nadezhda' post='1907321' date='Jul 1 2009, 03:28 PM']I haven't read Cuckoo. I enjoyed [i]Animal Farm[/i] as well as [i]The Handmaid's Tale[/i]. We read it my first year in college. Our first year of secondary school is at 14. Between about 12 and 14 we endure something called middle school or junior high. :blech:[/quote] I really liked middle school... Edited July 1, 2009 by Resurrexi
rachael Posted July 1, 2009 Posted July 1, 2009 [quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1907313' date='Jul 1 2009, 04:22 PM']I read both of those I loved [i]Animal Farm[/i] as well. And we read "The Handmaid's Tale".[/quote] oh, man. i am a huge fan of george orwell.
VeniteAdoremus Posted July 1, 2009 Posted July 1, 2009 [quote name='rachael' post='1907324' date='Jul 1 2009, 11:29 PM']oh, man. i am a huge fan of george orwell. [/quote] My mum was born in 1948 and I in 1984 And I used to call my brother "Big Brother". Or rather "Big Bwotheh" as I didn't learn to pronounce the R until I was five or so. So I really loved that book. I like telling people it's time to do their exercise
Kitty Posted July 1, 2009 Posted July 1, 2009 [quote name='Resurrexi' post='1906919' date='Jun 30 2009, 11:21 PM']I am reading [i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i] right now. At the end of the year, our English teacher gave us a list of about ten books, from which we had to pick two to read before the beginning of the school year. One of the books I chose was [i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i]. It is disgusting how unchaste this book is. Obviously, I have spent a good deal of time reading this book now, so I am not going to choose another. Also, I think the fact that I am reading a book for school justifies reading immodest material. I wish the author could have written a purer book.[/quote] [img]http://img1.liveinternet.ru/images/attach/c/0//44/266/44266966_unsuccessful_troll.jpg[/img] BTW, Catcher in the Rye is a great book.
Resurrexi Posted July 1, 2009 Author Posted July 1, 2009 (edited) [quote name='Kitty' post='1907421' date='Jul 1 2009, 04:30 PM'][img]http://img1.liveinternet.ru/images/attach/c/0//44/266/44266966_unsuccessful_troll.jpg[/img][/quote] You're so cool, Kitty. I wish I were just like you. Edited July 1, 2009 by Resurrexi
Kitty Posted July 1, 2009 Posted July 1, 2009 [quote name='Resurrexi' post='1907423' date='Jul 1 2009, 04:31 PM']You're so cool, Kitty. I wish I were just like you. [/quote] LOL
Era Might Posted July 1, 2009 Posted July 1, 2009 [quote name='Nadezhda' post='1907303' date='Jul 1 2009, 04:12 PM']I'm so sorry! [i]The Scarlet Letter[/i] is up there with [i]The Grapes of Wrath[/i] among books I was forced to read and didn't especially enjoy. If you liked it... I'm a [i]1984[/i] kind of gal.[/quote] I love Nathaniel Hawthorne! He's like the American Charles Dickens.
MissyP89 Posted July 1, 2009 Posted July 1, 2009 Sounds like Rexi feels about [i]Catcher[/i] the same way I felt about [i]Jane Eyre[/i] in my junior year. GROSS. I'm a voracious reader, but man, I hated that book.
VeniteAdoremus Posted July 1, 2009 Posted July 1, 2009 [quote name='Era Might' post='1907484' date='Jul 2 2009, 01:36 AM']I love Nathaniel Hawthorne! He's like the American Charles Dickens.[/quote] And his daughter founded [url="http://www.hawthorne-dominicans.org/"]an awesome congregation[/url].
eagle_eye222001 Posted July 1, 2009 Posted July 1, 2009 Catcher in the Rye. I read this about six years ago so I don't remember much. I only really recall that I was tired of reading the f-word every five lines. Didn't like the ending either. Depressing book. Lord of the Flies. Good book that showcases the deterioration of an order society. I didn't like it when I read it, but I've come to appreciate it. ---------------- Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/switchfoot/track/redemption"]Switchfoot - Redemption[/url] via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]
Era Might Posted July 2, 2009 Posted July 2, 2009 [quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1907511' date='Jul 1 2009, 06:21 PM']And his daughter founded [url="http://www.hawthorne-dominicans.org/"]an awesome congregation[/url].[/quote] I wonder what her father would have thought about that. He seems like a staunch Protestant in his writings.
Era Might Posted July 2, 2009 Posted July 2, 2009 [quote name='MissyP89' post='1907501' date='Jul 1 2009, 07:05 PM']Sounds like Rexi feels about [i]Catcher[/i] the same way I felt about [i]Jane Eyre[/i] in my junior year. GROSS. I'm a voracious reader, but man, I hated that book.[/quote] I read "Jane Eyre" last semester. I didn't think it would interest me, but it did, as did Jane Austen. Though after reading so many 19th century novels written by women, I was going crazy wanting to read manly literature. What didn't you like about "Jane Eyre"?
Gregorius Posted July 2, 2009 Posted July 2, 2009 [quote name='Era Might' post='1907568' date='Jul 1 2009, 08:40 PM']I wonder what her father would have thought about that. He seems like a staunch Protestant in his writings.[/quote] Maybe, but as far as I learned he hated the Puritans.
Gregorius Posted July 2, 2009 Posted July 2, 2009 For those 1984 fans, who has read [u]Brave New World[/u]?
Marie-Therese Posted July 2, 2009 Posted July 2, 2009 I think that I would rather be locked in a room with Michael Moore than ever have to reread Faulkner's [i]As I Lay Dying[/i]. I apologize if I offend any Faulkner fans here, but this book is perhaps the worst book ever written. People call it brilliant. I call it tripe, and my tastes do not in any way exclude experimental or avante garde literature (I own [i]The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test[/i], if that tells you something). Good grief. [i]As I Lay Dying[/i] made me think seriously about sticking a pencil in my eye. I have had more cogent conversations with delusional patients on Haldol.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now