The Bus Station Posted July 1, 2009 Posted July 1, 2009 I don't know how many (if any) of you are big tennis fans like myself, but the Wimbledon semifinals are tomorrow (women) and Friday (men), and the finals are Saturday (women) and Sunday (men). Women's Semifinals: Venus Williams (USA) vs. Dinara Safina (RUS) Serena Williams (USA) vs. Elena Dementiava (RUS) Men's Semifinals: Andy Roddick (USA) vs. Andy Murray (UK) Roger Federer (SUI) vs. Tommy Haas (GER) It would take a miracle for either of the Williams sisters to lose, so like last year it will most likely be a Williams v. Williams final, which is pretty much one of the most even matchups in sports. On the men's side it could be more interesting, though I'd put my money on Federer v. Murray with Federer winning. If he does win it will be his 15th major title, more than anyone else ever (he's currently tied with Pete Sampras' record of 14... not that you couldn't have figured that out on your own ). I have no purpose in making this thread, other than the hope that someone else is as excited as I am (and maybe even wants to talk about it? ), or maybe I'll inspire someone to tune in this weekend.
VoTeckam Posted July 1, 2009 Posted July 1, 2009 (edited) I LOVE tennis Bus Station. I would love to see Roddick pull out a win in the semi's but I don't think that will do him any good since he would most defintely lose int he fianls. I know it is a bit played out but I am a sucker for a Williams vs. Williams final. I always cheer on Venus... (It's soley a personality preference... they are both amzing players) Edited July 1, 2009 by VoTeckam
The Bus Station Posted July 1, 2009 Author Posted July 1, 2009 I feel the exact same way about Roddick. Besides having the mental and physical edge, Murray is going to have the entire crowd behind him -- which can only hurt Roddick's performance imo. And assuming Murray and Federer meet in the finals: can you imagine how intense that match is gonna be? I mean I think Federer is the favorite by a considerable margin, but that crowd is going to be on the edge of their seat the whole time. I'm pulling for Federer, but I get such a kick out of watching Murray feed off the crowd -- it's gonna be awesome. As for the Williams, I always pull for Venus as well, go figure I just like her game better. Though for me it's much more about watching them play than who wins -- if Serena wins I won't be disappointed. I just hope they both play their best and it's a close match.
VeniteAdoremus Posted July 1, 2009 Posted July 1, 2009 I hope Haas wins because I cheer for both Federer and Murray and having them together in the finals would likely give me a split personality. No. I didn't say that. I want Federer to win! Or Murray. Ack. Anyway, strawberries.
kafka Posted July 1, 2009 Posted July 1, 2009 could Murray possibly beat Federer? Or no? its an honest question I havent seen Murray progress over the past year.
VeniteAdoremus Posted July 1, 2009 Posted July 1, 2009 [quote name='kafka' post='1907405' date='Jul 2 2009, 12:20 AM']could Murray possibly beat Federer? Or no? its an honest question I havent seen Murray progress over the past year.[/quote] Really? He's young, but I thought he was great this year.
kafka Posted July 1, 2009 Posted July 1, 2009 [quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1907411' date='Jul 1 2009, 05:22 PM']Really? He's young, but I thought he was great this year.[/quote] Wimbledon is all I follow
The Bus Station Posted July 1, 2009 Author Posted July 1, 2009 I think Murray has a chance. He's gotten in much better shape over the past year. This is only the second time they've played each other in a major, though, the first time being last year at the U.S. Open final, which Federer won. I think when it comes down to it, Murray is capable but he would have to be playing his best tennis, and keep his cool (he's known for letting his emotions get in the way), and assuming Roger plays his best as well (which he has the past couple of weeks), I'd have to give Federer the edge. Idk though. I don't think it will be a runaway match for either of them.
kafka Posted July 1, 2009 Posted July 1, 2009 alright Bus Station we'll see what happens. I'm pretty sure they'll both make the finals.
VeniteAdoremus Posted July 1, 2009 Posted July 1, 2009 He beat Nadal in the biggest Dutch tournament. Nadal got injured, but he was already doing good before then.
Lil Red Posted July 1, 2009 Posted July 1, 2009 +J.M.J.+ [quote]Wimbledon in case anybody cares[/quote] answer: we don't.
kafka Posted July 1, 2009 Posted July 1, 2009 [quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1907444' date='Jul 1 2009, 05:40 PM']He beat Nadal in the biggest Dutch tournament. Nadal got injured, but he was already doing good before then.[/quote] I knew Nadal would get injured sooner or later. He plays hard. Dionysian. Federer is more elegant, Apollonian.
VeniteAdoremus Posted July 1, 2009 Posted July 1, 2009 [quote name='kafka' post='1907449' date='Jul 2 2009, 12:42 AM']I knew Nadal would get injured sooner or later. He plays hard. Dionysian. Federer is more elegant, Apollonian.[/quote] My brother and my dad root for Nadal. Things can get tense around the house here I really like to see them against each other. Brings out the best in each. But Federer will do great against Murray, too.
The Bus Station Posted July 1, 2009 Author Posted July 1, 2009 [quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1907458' date='Jul 1 2009, 04:56 PM']My brother and my dad root for Nadal. Things can get tense around the house here [b]I really like to see them against each other. Brings out the best in each.[/b] But Federer will do great against Murray, too.[/quote] there's nothing quite like it. I wish I had tennis fans in my family. I have 5 siblings and two parents, you'd think I wouldn't be the only one
VeniteAdoremus Posted July 1, 2009 Posted July 1, 2009 [quote name='The Bus Station' post='1907462' date='Jul 2 2009, 01:00 AM'] there's nothing quite like it. I wish I had tennis fans in my family. I have 5 siblings and two parents, you'd think I wouldn't be the only one [/quote] My brother and my dad are great sports fans I like puttering about a bit, and when they start yelling I run over for the action. Although some things, like Federer-Nadal, I'd watch in their entirety. And you can't convert any of your siblings? It's super exciting!
CatherineM Posted July 1, 2009 Posted July 1, 2009 I'm glad they finally got a roof for centre court.
The Bus Station Posted July 1, 2009 Author Posted July 1, 2009 [quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1907466' date='Jul 1 2009, 05:11 PM']My brother and my dad are great sports fans I like puttering about a bit, and when they start yelling I run over for the action. Although some things, like Federer-Nadal, I'd watch in their entirety. And you can't convert any of your siblings? It's super exciting![/quote] Yeah my family's the same way. We're a baseball family (though I wouldn't consider myself a big fan anymore), and my dad and older brother watch football and college basketball, and recently I've started watching hockey post-season (which is actually all thanks to Phatmass ) with my brother. My brother and my sisters will watch tennis if I'm watching it -- they don't dislike it they're just not crazy about it
VeniteAdoremus Posted July 1, 2009 Posted July 1, 2009 [quote name='CatherineM' post='1907470' date='Jul 2 2009, 01:15 AM']I'm glad they finally got a roof for centre court.[/quote] Granted, the rain adds a certain je-ne-sais-quoi, but it's mostly plain annoying! What I like best about the grass is that you can see the playing styles. One of the Dutch commentators reflected how you can see in the grass (or lack thereof) that people play way less volleys than they used to. [quote name='The Bus Station' post='1907476' date='Jul 2 2009, 01:21 AM']Yeah my family's the same way. We're a baseball family (though I wouldn't consider myself a big fan anymore), and my dad and older brother watch football and college basketball, and recently I've started watching hockey post-season (which is actually all thanks to Phatmass ) with my brother. My brother and my sisters will watch tennis if I'm watching it -- they don't dislike it they're just not crazy about it [/quote] Baseball, football, basketball and ice hockey are just about the four sports that aren't big in the Netherlands Oh, and lacrosse. You'd think that being the tallest people in the world, we'd be good at basketball. But no. Field hockey, though, [i]then[/i] we're talking
Fidei Defensor Posted July 1, 2009 Posted July 1, 2009 I read a church there was letting people park on graves for a small fee. Let me see if I can find the link for it.
CatherineM Posted July 2, 2009 Posted July 2, 2009 I pretty much love every sport except soccer. Don't understand a game with a ball that you aren't allowed to touch with your hands (except the goalie, I'm aware).
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now