An Old School Catholic Message Board

God Rejoices In Abortion

eagle_eye222001

eagle_eye222001

Obviously he doesn't...... :rolleyes: .....some people apparently think so. :sign:

[url="http://www.creativeminorityreport.com/2009/06/episcopal-priestess-god-rejoices-in.html"]http://www.creativeminorityreport.com/2009...ejoices-in.html[/url]

[i]Episcopal Priest: God Rejoices in Abortion

Episcopalian Priest, the Rev. Nina Churchman wrote a letter to Episcopal Life Online saying that women shouldn't have to ask for forgiveness for aborting a child. In fact, Rev. Churchman then goes one step further and says God rejoices in the woman's choice to abort. Here's the text in full:

"After reading the 3 June article, "Pregnancy-loss Prayers", I found the text for Rachel's Tears online and was sickened to discover that the rite for abortion is couched wholly in terms of sin and transgression. The Episcopal Church, by resolution, has long held that women have the freedom to choose an abortion. It is not considered a sin. That this new rite begins with the words, "I seek God's forgiveness..." and includes "God rejoices that you have come seeking God's merciful forgiveness..." is contrary to the resolution. Women should be able to mourn the loss of an aborted fetus without having to confess anything. God, unlike what the liturgy states, also rejoices that women facing unplanned pregnancies have the freedom to carefully choose the best option - birth, adoption or abortion - for themselves and their families. No woman makes this decision lightly or frivolously. But each needs the non-judgmental and non-coercive support of her faith community to make the best decision for her circumstances.
The wording of this liturgy focuses solely on guilt and sin instead of the grief and healing that may accompany a very difficult but appropriate decision to terminate a pregnancy. If anyone is paying attention at the General Convention, this rite should not be approved."

Firstly, the question of sin being based on resolution seems strange to me. I wonder if before that resolution passed, did Churchman believe abortion was a sin. I'd bet not. What if at some future date the Episcopal Church reinstates abortion as a sin, do some people in Heaven then have to go to Hell?

But the point the Rev. Churchman is making that God rejoices in the choice of abortion is absurd, illogical and offensive. God creates each life. Breathes a soul into each of us. For the Rev. Churchman to say that God rejoices in the destruction of a baby is awful. Truly heartbreaking stuff from an alleged follower of Christ. And further, her point that God doesn't really differentiate between giving birth to the baby or killing the baby is shocking.

We've seen and heard many folks over the years saying they're "personally opposed" to abortion but don't believe it should be illegal for everyone. To me, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But Churchman is not only taking it one step further by saying she is perfectly fine with abortion, she then says that God isn't even "personally opposed" to killing one's baby.

I fear that Rev. Churchman confuses forgiveness and understanding for acceptance of sin. Though God may not reject outright those who have had an abortion - that should never be confused with rejoicing in the sin. God rejoices in repentance.[/i]

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/story+of+the+year/track/until+the+day+i+die"]Story Of The Year - Until the Day I Die[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1910814' date='Jul 4 2009, 04:40 PM']And the Episcopalians wonder why their pews are empty.[/quote]

Again I must point out their Archbishop of Canterbury is a druid and believes the details of Christ's birth to be a fairy tale...

[quote name='BG45' post='1911001' date='Jul 4 2009, 08:58 PM']Again I must point out their Archbishop of Canterbury is a druid and believes the details of Christ's birth to be a fairy tale...[/quote]

:blink:

Are you serious?

I didn't know that.

princessgianna

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1910814' date='Jul 4 2009, 03:40 PM']And the Episcopalians wonder why their pews are empty.[/quote]
yea.... :unsure:

:mellow: slowly getting even [i]further[/i] from the Truth.

Angel*Star

I am amazed at what some people believe these days. If I did not hear it with my own ears, I would not believe it. God have mercy on our nation and on the whole world! :sign:

We've seen and heard many folks over the years saying they're "personally opposed" to abortion but don't believe it should be illegal for everyone. To me, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

The way I answer this statement is: If a politician (or in this case, priest) made the same statement about any other topic, no one would buy that argument - "I'm personally opposed to the US invasion of Iraq, but I don't feel I can impose my opinion on the whole nation"? "I'm personally against concealed-carry gun laws, but I don't want to force my personal opinion down the throats of my constituents"? "Personally, I'm opposed to racial discrimination, but I would vote for whatever the majority of the people in my district support"? Nobody would buy that - politicians are supposed to say what they believe, and we vote for them based on what they say they believe - then they're supposed to work to pass laws that enact what they/we believe.

This doesn't really apply to what the Episcopal priest was saying - she apparently believes that God believes whatever she believes - but when I've made this argument in general discussions, people usually see the fallacy of the "That's just my opinion" approach.

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

I'd like to remember Stephen Colbert's quote when speaking to a woman about the Anglicans and Episcopalians. She said that the Anglican Communion started when England sent Missionaries around the world. Dr. Stephen T. Colbert, D.F.A interrupted her and said "No the Anglican Communion was started when Henry VIII couldn't keep it in his pantaloons."

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' post='1910805' date='Jul 4 2009, 02:24 PM']God rejoices in repentance.[/quote]
so true. reminds me of the Office of Readings for today, when David gets called out on having Uriah killed and taking his wife. what impressed me about that is after David's son dies, after he washes himself and puts on new clothes, [i]he goes to worship the Lord.[/i]
[quote]David got up from the ground, bathed and anointed himself and put on fresh clothes. Then he went into the sanctuary of the Lord and prostrated himself.[/quote]
and then in the second reading, St. Augustine explains that the sacrifice that God wants is a contrite spirit. really beautiful readings today. [url="http://www.universalis.com/readings.htm"]http://www.universalis.com/readings.htm[/url]

[quote name='Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam' post='1911286' date='Jul 5 2009, 12:07 AM']I'd like to remember Stephen Colbert's quote when speaking to a woman about the Anglicans and Episcopalians. She said that the Anglican Communion started when England sent Missionaries around the world. Dr. Stephen T. Colbert, D.F.A interrupted her and said "No the Anglican Communion was started when Henry VIII couldn't keep it in his pantaloons."[/quote]
stephen colbert FTW!

CatherineM

A contrite spirit. I think that went out of style around the time that we decided that shame was bad for us.

VeniteAdoremus

Well, it's nice that we can mourn aborted fetuses, even though they're not alive enough to kill.

How exactly does that work?

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1910814' date='Jul 4 2009, 03:40 PM']And the Episcopalians wonder why their pews are empty.[/quote]
The sad part is I saw episcopalian/Anglican bishops fighting for the right to life at the march for life...
Relativism stinks.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1911534' date='Jul 5 2009, 09:34 AM']A contrite spirit. I think that went out of style around the time that we decided that shame was bad for us.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
guilt? shame? sin? what are those things? :rolleyes:

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1912006' date='Jul 5 2009, 08:15 PM']+J.M.J.+
guilt? shame? sin? what are those things? :rolleyes:[/quote]

Remember? The Church threw that all out 40 years ago. :rolleyes:

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/coldplay/track/talk"]Coldplay - Talk[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]