An Old School Catholic Message Board

Friday Penance

zunshynn

Sorry for bringing this up again...

I wasn't questioning the clarity of the Church's calling for abstention from meat... I understand that that is the norm for penance on Friday, and I understand why.

What I mean is, on the occasion that one is not able to abstain from meat (for example, having dinner at someone's house when meat is served and it would be rude to refuse to eat what was provided), what is an appropriate substitute penance? Is praying a rosary really sufficient?

I don't mean to sound like I'm looking for the bare minimum letter of the law, or like I don't understand the value of mortifying oneself on Friday and going beyond what is "required" out of love for Christ. I just don't know what is an adequate substitute on the occasion that one can't abstain from meat, even if they normally would. I'm sorry if I was unclear.

CatherineM

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1911763' date='Jul 5 2009, 02:18 PM']Sorry for bringing this up again...

I wasn't questioning the clarity of the Church's calling for abstention from meat... I understand that that is the norm for penance on Friday, and I understand why.

What I mean is, on the occasion that one is not able to abstain from meat (for example, having dinner at someone's house when meat is served and it would be rude to refuse to eat what was provided), what is an appropriate substitute penance? Is praying a rosary really sufficient?

I don't mean to sound like I'm looking for the bare minimum letter of the law, or like I don't understand the value of mortifying oneself on Friday and going beyond what is "required" out of love for Christ. I just don't know what is an adequate substitute on the occasion that one can't abstain from meat, even if they normally would. I'm sorry if I was unclear.[/quote]
First off, I'm glad that you understand that we are still required to abstain from meat on Fridays even outside of Lent unless we substitute another act in its place. Most Catholics don't understand that. Here is what Canon Law has to say on the topic.

[quote]Can. 1251 Abstinence from meat, or from some other food as determined by the Episcopal Conference, is to be observed on all Fridays, unless a solemnity should fall on a Friday. Abstinence and fasting are to be observed on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

Can. 1252 The law of abstinence binds those who have completed their fourteenth year. The law of fasting binds those who have attained their majority, until the beginning of their sixtieth year. Pastors of souls and parents are to ensure that even those who by reason of their age are not bound by the law of fasting and abstinence, are taught the true meaning of penance.

Can. 1253 The Episcopal Conference can determine more particular ways in which fasting and abstinence are to be observed. [b]In place of abstinence or fasting it can substitute, in whole or in part, other forms of penance, especially works of charity and exercises of piety[/b].[/quote]

One of the reasons that we abstain from meat (but not only) is that the poor never used to be able to afford to eat meat. Abstinence is a way of reminding our bodies what it feels like to be hungry, so that we can feel hungry for the Lord. I think a rosary is a sufficient act of piety when you can't abstain. You might say it in memory for those who are doing without meat out of want, not convenience.