An Old School Catholic Message Board

An Upcoming Wedding

tinytherese

tinytherese

So my second cousin is getting married towards the end of this month. She got pregnant and lived with her boyfriend for years claiming that they would get married some day. Now their son is four years old. Many people are glad that they are finally getting married after all of this time, but my mom (who knows the situation better than I do) says that it will be a big wedding which she feels is not appropriate given the circumstances- that a small and quiet wedding with close relatives and friends would be more than appropriate and that she suspects that they are just getting married so that they can be showered with gifts.

Neither she nor her fiance acknowledge that their getting pregnant was a mistake and that they should have waited having sex. My second cousin isn't working and drops her baby off to be taken care of by her son so that she can go out and go to the spa and stuff so that she doesn't have to worry about taking care of her son. Her son seems to be more closely bonded with his grandma then his mom. :sadder:

I am concerned that they may not be getting married for the right reasons and that they will eventually split up, which would be very hard on their son. I am also concerned that I as well as many other people are being judgmental of them. I haven't talked to her in a very long time and am afraid that she'll come up and talk to me asking me what I'm doing this summer and I don't want her to know that I am volunteering to help a local abstinence education organization as that would be awkward for the both of us and I don't want to make her feel uncomfortable or judged. If she asks I'll just say that I am doing volunteer work but am afraid that she'll inquiere as to what kind of volunteer work.