An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are Eulogies Allowed To Be Given At Mass?

Paladin D

Are eulogies allowed to be given at Mass? If so, then okay. If not, why? Thanks in advance.

Noel's angel

This is something I've been wondering for a while. Our last Bishop was dead-set against it but many priests allowed it anyway. Now, Bishop Treanor has decided it's fine.

I believe the answer is no. The purpose of the funeral Mass is not to recall the life of the deceased but to focus on his new life with God and offer prayers to that end. Also most eulogies tend to turn into mini-canonizations of the deceased - personally I would hate that, I don't want people to just assume I am in heaven, I'm going to need all the help I can get! In fact I have left specific instructions for my funeral that there should be *absolutely no eulogy* - not that they will be used anytime soon (I hope).

Usually the priest can incorporate information about the deceased's life in his homily but there again the homily is not a eulogy but a reflection on how the Gospel applies in this situation.

A eulogy is not out of place at the wake, though, and I know that is when a lot of people have it.

CatherineM

I remember eulogies being done at RFK's funeral. Of course, the Kennedy's are good at getting exceptions.

Nihil Obstat

Seems to me that it would be appropriate at a wake or something, but not the Mass itself.

Maggie has it 100% right. Ironically, there is a "Dear Padre" insert in our bulletin every week that's like a FAQ for Catholicism, and this issue was just covered.

The official stance is no, they aren't allowed, but I've never been to a Catholic funeral without one. :idontknow:

Nihil Obstat

When I write a will I'll include a 'reminder' that eulogies aren't allowed in Mass, but I'd welcome one during the wake.... or whenever is appropriate. (Also I'll have a short list of things to avoid saying..... ie. mini canonizations...)
Also I want Both Sides Now (Randy Scruggs' version) to be played immediately following. Again, not during Mass.
[url="http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/song/Both_Sides_Now/5213981"]Song link[/url]

Edited by Nihil Obstat

CatherineM

My dad's eulogy was basically the priest's homily. I saw nothing wrong with doing it that way. If the priest burying you doesn't know you well enough to say a eulogy, then that's a whole other issue.

CatherineM

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1915566' date='Jul 9 2009, 10:34 AM']I think that the homily at a Requiem Mass should be about purgatory.[/quote]

You would. I want the homily at my funeral to be a recantation of all the silly things I loved to do.

From the Order of Christian Funerals:

FINAL COMMENDATION

170. Following the prayer after communion, the priest goes to a place near the coffin. The assisting ministers carry the censer and holy water, if these are to be used.

[b]A member or a friend of the family may speak in remembrance of the deceased before the final commendation begins.[/b]

Invitation to Prayer

171. Using one of the following invitations, or one of those provided in no. 402, or in similar words, the priest faces the people and begins the final commendation.

A

Before we go our separate ways, let us take leave of our brother/sister. May our farewell express our affection for him/her; may it ease our sadness and strengthen our hope. One day we shall joyfully greet him/her again when the love of Christ, which conquers all things, destroys even death itself.

B

Trusting in God, we have prayed together for N. and now we come to the last farewell. There is sadness in parting, but we take comfort in the hope that one day we shall see N. again and enjoy his/her friendship. Although this congregation will disperse in sorrow, the mercy of God will gather us together again in the joy of his kingdom. Therefore let us console one another in the faith of Jesus Christ.

Silence

172. All pray in silence.

(Signs of Farewell)

173. The coffin may now be sprinkled with holy water and incensed, or this may take place during or after the song of farewell

Song of Farewell

174. The song of farewell is then sung. The following or other responsories chosen from no. 403, may be used or some other song may be sung.

Saints of God, come to his/her aid!

Hasten to meet him/her, angels of the Lord!

R. Receive his/her soul and present him/her to God the Most High.

May Christ, who called you, take you to himself;

may angels lead you to the bosom of Abraham.

Eternal rest grant unto him/her, O Lord,

and let perpetual light shine upon him/her.

Prayer of Commendation

175. The priest then says one of the following prayers.

A

Into your hands, Father of mercies,

we commend our brother/sister N.

in the sure and certain hope

that, together with all who have died in Christ,

he/she will rise with him on the last day.

(We give you thanks for the blessings

which you bestowed upon N. in this life:

they are signs to us of your goodness

and of our fellowship with the saints in Christ.)

Merciful Lord,

turn toward us and listen to our prayers:

open the gates of paradise to your servant

and help us who remain

to comfort one another with assurances of faith,

until we all meet in Christ

and are with you and with our brother/sister for ever.

We ask this through Christ our Lord.

R. Amen.

B

To you, O Lord, we commend the soul of N. your servant;

in the sight of this world he/she is now dead;

in your sight may he/she live for ever.

Forgive whatever sins he/she committed through human weakness

and in your goodness grant him/her everlasting peace.

We ask this through Christ our Lord.

R. Amen.

PROCESSION TO THE PLACE OF COMMITTAL