An Old School Catholic Message Board

Interview With Ruth Bader Ginsburg

cmotherofpirl

cmotherofpirl

This is part of an interview to be published in the New York times. I bolded the interesting part, its rare to have them come out in public and admit the broader agenda.

Q: If you were a lawyer again, what would you want to accomplish as a future feminist legal agenda?

JUSTICE GINSBURG: Reproductive choice has to be straightened out. There will never be a woman of means without choice anymore. That just seems to me so obvious. The states that had changed their abortion laws before Roe [to make abortion legal] are not going to change back. So we have a policy that affects only poor women, and it can never be otherwise, and I don’t know why this hasn’t been said more often.

Q: Are you talking about the distances women have to travel because in parts of the country, abortion is essentially unavailable, because there are so few doctors and clinics that do the procedure? And also, the lack of Medicaid for abortions for poor women?

JUSTICE GINSBURG: Yes, the ruling about that surprised me. [Harris v. McRae — in 1980 the court upheld the Hyde Amendment, which forbids the use of Medicaid for abortions.][b] Frankly I had thought that at the time Roe was decided, there was concern about population growth and particularly growth in populations that we don’t want to have too many of. So that Roe was going to be then set up for Medicaid funding for abortion.[/b] Which some people felt would risk coercing women into having abortions when they didn’t really want them. But when the court decided McRae, the case came out the other way. And then I realized that my perception of it had been altogether wrong.

Q: When you say that reproductive rights need to be straightened out, what do you mean?

JUSTICE GINSBURG: The basic thing is that the government has no business making that choice for a woman.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1915526' date='Jul 9 2009, 10:48 AM']I agree that I don't ever see a time when abortion will be illegal in the US.[/quote]

illegal, maybe not.

unthinkable, we can get there.

CatherineM

[quote name='Sirklawd' post='1915544' date='Jul 9 2009, 10:02 AM']illegal, maybe not.

unthinkable, we can get there.[/quote]

I agree with that. If fertility rates keep falling, we may be there pretty quick. I hoping for one of those inside camera documentaries showing a 4 week old fetus.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1915559' date='Jul 9 2009, 11:22 AM']I agree with that. If fertility rates keep falling, we may be there pretty quick. I hoping for one of those inside camera documentaries showing a 4 week old fetus.[/quote]
You are so right about the falling fertility rate figuring into this in the future. Europe is already having these sorts of problems, and the policies we are thinking about enacting will require solid population growth.

Paddington

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1915481' date='Jul 9 2009, 11:22 AM'][b] and particularly growth in populations that we don’t want to have too many of. So that Roe was going to be then set up for Medicaid funding for abortion.[/b][/quote]

I've had a bunch of debates with pro-choicers. It is normal for them to say Nazi things like this.

In college I noticed that many pro-choice leaders avoid saying things like this, letting the minnows say it for them. RBG is stepping outside the box.

CatherineM

What's sad is that Ginsberg is someone that I could look up to otherwise. We have lost so many really important female role models because of this issue.

[quote name='Paddington' post='1915640' date='Jul 9 2009, 12:21 PM']I've had a bunch of debates with pro-choicers. It is normal for them to say Nazi things like this.

In college I noticed that many pro-choice leaders avoid saying things like this, letting the minnows say it for them. RBG is stepping outside the box.[/quote]

really they just come out and say it? lol. you'd think that would sorta blow their whole credibility out of the water....

....if we lived in a sane world :lol_roll:

Look at the Europeen natinons enforcing abortion everywhere except in their own borders because they are (several of them) having population reduction concern. When looking at the grand scheme of things, a telling and convincing argument can be made that abortion is a political tool with which to try and control populations. You can even make a case that the world is in a midst of a quiet war faugth through population control rather than using guns.

The french even have an old saying to refer to it; 'La guerre snas fusil'.
aka 'The war wihtout guns'.

Paddington

[quote name='Sirklawd' post='1915719' date='Jul 9 2009, 02:21 PM']really they just come out and say it? lol. you'd think that would sorta blow their whole credibility out of the water....

....if we lived in a sane world :lol_roll:[/quote]

A lot of everyday pro-choicers are carrying around a mental list of what kinds of people the world needs less of and they let it come right out of their mouth since they aren't used to debating it.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Paddington' post='1915640' date='Jul 9 2009, 12:21 PM']I've had a bunch of debates with pro-choicers. It is normal for them to say Nazi things like this.

In college I noticed that many pro-choice leaders avoid saying things like this, letting the minnows say it for them. RBG is stepping outside the box.[/quote]
Well, this is especially distasteful coming from the mouth of a Jew.

eagle_eye222001

It's ironic we are worried about overpopulation when governments....including our own, have tax incentives for parents to have children.

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/skillet/track/rebirthing"]Skillet - Rebirthing[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

Paddington

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1916110' date='Jul 9 2009, 07:56 PM']Well, this is especially distasteful coming from the mouth of a Jew.[/quote]

Wow. I didn't think of that. But I guess there are a lot of pro-choice population control Jews.

One time an adopted person used "but adopted kids suffer with identity issues" on me to enhance her pro-choice case. :blink:

[quote name='Hassan' post='1915484' date='Jul 9 2009, 10:24 AM']Huh?[/quote]
Basically, Ginsberg is admitting that abortion was legalized in an effort to reduce the number of poor and or Black babies born in the US. At the time, there was a fear that Black people were having more babies than non-Blacks, and therefore the white majority would lose its privileged position in society. As it happens, the white majority will become a minority anyway, just not as a resulr of Black population growth - Blacks in the US make up about 12% of the population, and that number has very stable for a long time.