An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Wedding At Cana

T-Bone _

I've been reading the passage about the wedding feast at Cana over and over again. I'm wondering what the bolded section means:

[quote]John
Chapter 2

1 On the third day there was a wedding in Cana 3 in Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there.
Jesus and his disciples were also invited to the wedding.
When the wine ran short, the mother of Jesus said to him, "They have no wine."
4 (And) Jesus said to her, "Woman, how does your concern affect me? My hour has not yet come."
His mother said to the servers, "Do whatever he tells you."
5 Now there were six stone water jars there for Jewish ceremonial washings, each holding twenty to thirty gallons.
Jesus told them, "Fill the jars with water." So they filled them to the brim.
Then he told them, "Draw some out now and take it to the headwaiter." 6 So they took it.
And when the headwaiter tasted the water that had become wine, without knowing where it came from (although the servers who had drawn the water knew), the headwaiter called the bridegroom
and said to him, [b]"Everyone serves good wine first, and then when people have drunk freely, an inferior one; but you have kept the good wine until now."[/b]
Jesus did this as the beginning of his signs 7 in Cana in Galilee and so revealed his glory, and his disciples began to believe in him.[/quote]

I believe it's speaking of covenants, and how the New Covenant with Jesus is the greatest. (Or am I completely out in left field here?)

CatherineM

Lot of symbolism in that one. An abundance of wine is mentioned in Is 25:6, Joel 3:18, Amos 9:13. It can also be a pre of the transubstantiation. I like the symbolism of it being like the new covenant being greater than the old.

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1915710' date='Jul 9 2009, 01:17 PM']I've been reading the passage about the wedding feast at Cana over and over again. I'm wondering what the bolded section means:

I believe it's speaking of covenants, and how the New Covenant with Jesus is the greatest. (Or am I completely out in left field here?)[/quote]
I think you are definitely on the right track for a good insight into this event.

There is no doubt that the visible miracle of Christ turning water into wine was the sign of the greater invisible miracle of Christ transforming the water of Old Testament marriage into the wine of the New Testament Sacrament of Marriage.

The wine is a symbol for the New Testament Sacrament of Marriage. The Sacraments flow from and recieve their power from the blood of Christ which is the seal of the New and Everlasting Covenant. The New Sacrament of Marriage is greater than a mere natural marriage. The New Covenant is greater than the old ones.

So yes I think it all follows quite well.

heavenseeker

the line is being said from the Head Waiter who during the wedding could not ave been drinking and therefore not be drunk. It is a valid testimony that the wine made by Jesus truly was the choice wine. It therefore gives credit to the grandness of the act because not only did Jesus turn a large amount of water into wine but also into the best wine ever. This also has greater theological meaning in that in another book wine is called the blood of grapes and s later at the last supper turned into the blood of Christ. Christ blood being the blood of the eternal sacrifice an covenant.

LouisvilleFan

Another interesting thing about this passage: not only does the Wedding at Cana mark the beginning of Jesus' ministry, but it also includes the last words spoken by Mary: "Do whatever he tells you."

• 3 weeks later...
Archaeology cat

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1919482' date='Jul 14 2009, 03:26 PM']Another interesting thing about this passage: not only does the Wedding at Cana mark the beginning of Jesus' ministry, but it also includes the last words spoken by Mary: "Do whatever he tells you."[/quote]
:yes:

Guest Adoro te Devote

Wow, I can finally reply. (Sorry, been trying for awhile and couldn't find a forum that would let me post).

On Caana, as it's been said, it's quite loaded, and you can find commentaries on this all over the place.

I once gave a talk on this, based on one I heard and then embellished by more research, and in the end, just as I'm destroying my comment, I destroyed my speech.

Think of the wine bags as the old religion of Judaism. Just as the temple burst at the crucifixion, so do the old bags, for they cannot contain all God has to offer. The old wine was good, but the new wine was still fermenting, and the pressure from that process could not be contained in weakened skins.

We still love Judaism (the Law) don't we? But if it can't be contained, it can't be fulfilled. It IS contained in the new skins

And somehow I've gone off track here, just ignore me. *whistling innnocently*

No, keep it up - talk as much as you want about the wedding. Btw, what do you think about the tradition of the day was that only the brigegroom was in charge of the wine?

But teach on anything you want, I love it. In fact expound on the Feeding of the 5000 thread, please.

God bless,
Jon

Edited by Jon