An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ocd

piano_freak184

I used to have to check all the windows and doors to make sure they were closed and locked before i went out, or went to bed (even if i had just watched someone do that ahead of me). i couldn't just feel them or i could keep touching the lock about 3-4 times until i look (same with stove top knobs). it took me about 5 minutes to check my tiny little house.
then one day, i just stopped and forced myself to bed with out checking everything (dont'worry, some one checked already ;) ) and then it got easier form there.

now i just to a quick check and if someone said they locked the window, then i trust them. if not, then i can blame everything on them lol

mind over matter really.
:)

Edited by Christie_M

piano_freak184

Did you ever have a feeling something bad was going to happen to you if you didn't do what your mind was telling you to do?

yup! like if i checked everything and had a nagging feeling that i forgot to check the window in my room, that someone was gonna break in form there. and i could see that the windo was locked from were i was, but i still had to go up and check, push it, unlock then lock it again.
:wacko: it was difficult.

about 2 full weeks of nagging my brother to check everything (while i watched) and then slowly leaving to my room as he checked. and then another week or two of going to bed early when everyone was still up so THEY would have the responsability of doing that.
and about the same time as i stopped hitting innatimate objects when i'd bump into them :mellow:

Edited by Christie_M

like say, if i stubbed my toe on a chair, i'd go and kick it... :unsure: wasn't the smartest, but it happened.

hoosieranna

I have to close any cupboard doors that might be left open, and I don't like having bumps in my hair if I put it up. I'll brush it until it's smooth.

[quote name='piano_freak184' post='1916713' date='Jul 10 2009, 12:27 PM']Do any of you have it? If you do, what do you do to "slow it down" or make it stop?[/quote]

I think so.

I just learn to live with it.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Nadezhda' post='1916852' date='Jul 10 2009, 06:22 PM']I have to close any cupboard doors that might be left open[/quote]

Me, too! And dresser drawers. Since having kids I'm a little more relaxed about the drawers, but cupboards still get me. And my husband is ALWAYS leaving them open. To top that off we live in an older home and the cupboards aren't that great so when you close one if it slams hard enough one or two more pop open. <_<

When I was in college my roommate used to leave her drawers open a little bit with clothes sticking out and I'd get what she'd call an "OCD fit" and go and stuff the clothing inside and shut the drawer all the way. My friends thought it was hilarious, we'd be sitting there talking and I'd just jump up and fix it. lol I also used to peel the labels off all my nail polish and chapstick.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1916877' date='Jul 10 2009, 07:11 PM']nothing on the level of real OCD. :)[/quote]

ditto