An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mass In The Ef Today...

TeresaBenedicta

TeresaBenedicta

So, on the weekends I walk up to the Grotto for Mass. We currently don't have a chaplain (in the process of hiring), but usually a priest from my school takes the weekend Masses. Anywho, I knew he was gone for this next week, so I suppose they just got somebody else to cover the Masses.

Well, today I went up there, and much to my surprise, we had Mass in the Extraordinary Form!!! There was a group up on pilgrimage from a TLM society or something or another.

I'm just happy that I've been to a handle full of EF Masses, so I pretty much knew what was going, at least for the most part. Watched the group to know for sure when to kneel and when to stand. But even without a missal or anything, I was able to follow along fairly well.

I love surprises like these!

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1917689' date='Jul 12 2009, 01:56 AM']Excellent, MCTS :P Jealous. To OP: was it a high or low mass? Either way, still :drool:[/quote]

I *think* it was a High Mass, but I'm not precisely sure, because it felt somewhere 'inbetween' a High/Low Mass. They had a small choir (schola?) that sang the Kyrie, Gloria, Sanctus, Agnus Dei etc, which makes me think it was High? But, at the same time, it wasn't nearly as... elaborate? as a few of the High Masses I've been to before. Like, there was no incense and the feel was just different. Yet, at the same time I've been to Low Masses in the EF before as well...

You can see that I'm not exactly sure what constitutes each. I think I have an idea, but I'm not sure.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='mcts' post='1917720' date='Jul 12 2009, 03:06 AM']do you happen to remember how many candles were on the altar?[/quote]

Six, three on each side.

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1917714' date='Jul 12 2009, 12:55 AM']I *think* it was a High Mass, but I'm not precisely sure, because it felt somewhere 'inbetween' a High/Low Mass. They had a small choir (schola?) that sang the Kyrie, Gloria, Sanctus, Agnus Dei etc, which makes me think it was High? But, at the same time, it wasn't nearly as... elaborate? as a few of the High Masses I've been to before. Like, there was no incense and the feel was just different. Yet, at the same time I've been to Low Masses in the EF before as well...

You can see that I'm not exactly sure what constitutes each. I think I have an idea, but I'm not sure.[/quote]

If a schola sung the ordinary chants but incense was not not used, it must have been a Missa Cantata (High Mass).

Though incense is necessary for a Missa Solemnis (Solemn High Mass--a Mass with a deacon and subdeacon), in the past it was only used at a Missa Cantata by indult. Though today the use of incense at a Missa Cantata is the norm, it is still not necessary for its celebration. :)

[quote name='princessgianna' post='1917737' date='Jul 12 2009, 01:24 AM']:raises hand: I KNOW! :)

I am going tomorrow at my parish![/quote]

I'm going today at your parish too!

:)

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1917801' date='Jul 12 2009, 09:03 AM']Six, three on each side.[/quote]

if what i read the other day was correct, 6 candles means it's a high mass and 2 means it's a low mass.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1917874' date='Jul 12 2009, 11:37 AM']If a schola sung the ordinary chants but incense was not not used, it must have been a Missa Cantata (High Mass).

Though incense is necessary for a Missa Solemnis (Solemn High Mass--a Mass with a deacon and subdeacon), in the past it was only used at a Missa Cantata by indult. Though today the use of incense at a Missa Cantata is the norm, it is still not necessary for its celebration. :)[/quote]

i knew you'd be able to help with that one :)

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1917876' date='Jul 12 2009, 11:38 AM']I'm going today at your parish too!

:)[/quote]
How was it? :woot:

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1918037' date='Jul 12 2009, 03:17 PM']How was it? :woot:[/quote]

Yes! P_G's priest is awesome!