An Old School Catholic Message Board

Indian Jesuit Priest Dances In The Church

ruso

goldenchild17

[quote name='ruso' post='1917627' date='Jul 11 2009, 10:40 PM'][url="http://es.gloria.tv/?media=26720"]http://es.gloria.tv/?media=26720[/url][/quote]

fun, though I could've gone without seeing him in make-up and shirtless.

This was at a Church in Vienna no less. Note the explanation: " The dance renders homage to the indian divinity Shiva." So who in Vienna allowed this?? Sounds like it would not be permissible even in an Indian liturgical celebration. I don't think the Church opposes all types of liturgical dance, in fact there don't seem to be any published norms on the subject. But definitely not for "Shiva" who is the supreme god of Hinduism it would seem.

S.

Edited by Skinzo

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1917840' date='Jul 12 2009, 11:36 AM']Liturgical dance is indeed banned by Rome.[/quote]
I don't recall it being banned in cultures where dancing has a religious connotation. It is certainly banned in Western European cultures.

It does raise an interesting question though. As we in the west can no longer support enough vocations, and have to import priests from parts of the world where liturgical dance is part of the culture and allowed, are they allowed to bring that part of their culture with them?

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1917840' date='Jul 12 2009, 11:36 AM']Liturgical dance is indeed banned by Rome.[/quote]

Not quite. From "Varietates legitimae" (1994 Instruction on inculturation in the liturgy)

" 42. Among some peoples, singing is instinctively accompanied by handclapping, rhythmic swaying and dance movements on the part of the participants. Such forms of external expression can have a place in the liturgical actions of these peoples on condition that they are always the expression of true communal prayer of adoration, praise, offering and supplication, and not simply a performance."

However, I would NEVER argue that THIS performance is legit liturgically since it is a dance to honor "Shiva", a Hindu deity.

S.

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1917840' date='Jul 12 2009, 10:36 AM']Liturgical dance is indeed banned by Rome.[/quote]
I'm not certain that this is true.

Rome has [url="http://www.adoremus.org/doc_inculturation.html"]said[/url]:

[quote name=' Varietates Legitimae' date=' 1994']42. Among some peoples, singing is instinctively accompanied by handclapping, rhythmic swaying and dance movements on the part of the participants. [b]Such forms of external expression can have a place in the liturgical actions of these peoples[/b] on condition that they are always the expression of true communal prayer of adoration, praise, offering and supplication, and not simply a performance.[/quote]

Although I couldn't find anything authoritative in a quick search, my understanding is that the Holy See may permit liturgical dance in cultures that have a tradition of such dance, with the caveats noted above (that it be a true communal prayer of adoration, praise, etcl, and not simply a performance). In cultures where dance is not associated with worship, as in the United States and most of Europe, this would not be an appropriate cultural adaptation.

I couldn't find anywhere that there is an out-and-out ban on liturgical dancing.

Edit: Apparently I was too slow in responding. Thanks, Skinzo, and I agree with your comment that dancing to honor Shiva would never be appropriate for a Catholic.

Edited by Terra Firma

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1917846' date='Jul 12 2009, 08:47 AM']It does raise an interesting question though. As we in the west can no longer support enough vocations, and have to import priests from parts of the world where liturgical dance is part of the culture and allowed, are they allowed to bring that part of their culture with them?[/quote]
A priest should follow the liturgical norms of the diocese in which he is incardinated.

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1917857' date='Jul 12 2009, 11:00 AM']A priest should follow the liturgical norms of the diocese in which he is incardinated.[/quote]
:yes:

I just watched the video, and the only good thing about it are the emoticons that posters can use on the website.