An Old School Catholic Message Board

Becoming Catholic

Guest Prodigal

Guest Prodigal

I am age 53, black male, married. I have been a Christian for 31 years. My church background is Pentecostal/Charismatic. This could easily be a long story but basically I have always been a reader. I have never confined my reading to Christian writers of my own background but have always been willing to read anyone in whom I perceived godliness.

Anyway, the crack between what accumulated in my personal development (augmented by experiences in the church) and what I was being taught widened into a canyon. After a few years of asking questions and getting cold shoulders (not even an honest "I don't know") and finding no way to be effective within the framework I was used to, I stopped going to church and have not attended for several years now. I'm not happy with that decision but I felt that nothing else was left to me. Over the years I've visited many churches in my city of Durham, NC. It's a burned over district as far as I'm concerned.

Catholicism has never entered my mind - until recently. A few months ago I happened to watch Father Groschel on EWTN. I was impressed with his knowledge and humility so I started watching him regularly. I also started watching the Journey Home program. It was as if a door opened. I began reading Father Groschel's books and those of Father Cantalamessa. I just finished reading The Spirit and Forms of Protestantism by Louis Bouyer. What an eye opening and profitable read I found it to be!

I have spent time researching Catholic doctrines. This is still ongoing. Some I have not resolved but others I see have been obscured by my own prejudices. I would like to speak to a priest about converting to Catholicism. But, being ignorant of the Catholic environment, I'm not sure where to go. I'm sure there are Catholic parishes that are playing church just like many Protestant churches. While I know there is no perfect place I want to find a place where the faith is taken seriously.

Any advice?

Yes, you will find there is variety between different parishes, but the same message. I would recommend going to mass at several parishes. Smaller parishes can be easier to get to know people, but larger parishes often have more resources and have many more ministries. To enter the church, we have a process called the Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults (RCIA). Some churches run year around programs, but many start in the Fall. You can call any church office and they will give you all the information about how to proceed.

I also love listening to Father Groeschel. You should also check out Fr. Corapi on EWTN.

And Welcome Home.