An Old School Catholic Message Board

Speaking In Tongues

sacredheartandbloodofjesus

sacredheartandbloodofjesus

In the Acts of the Apostles, Is speaking in tongues the angelic language? Or is it to be interpreted as the Apostles speaking in their native language but the other people hearing the words in their native language? Or the Apostles were given the gift to speak in many different languages? I personally believe the latter. But the charismatic catholics seem to believe its the language of the angels, not a worldly language. It seems like charismatics may be speaking the language of the fallen angels......

• 4 weeks later...
phatcatholic

[quote name='sacredheartandbloodofjesus' date='23 July 2009 - 12:01 AM' timestamp='1248318075' post='1928954']
In the Acts of the Apostles, Is speaking in tongues the angelic language? Or is it to be interpreted as the Apostles speaking in their native language but the other people hearing the words in their native language? Or the Apostles were given the gift to speak in many different languages? I personally believe the latter. But the charismatic catholics seem to believe its the language of the angels, not a worldly language. It seems like charismatics may be speaking the language of the fallen angels......
[/quote]
From what I understand, there are two types of tongues, "the tongues of men and of angels" (1 Cor 13:1):

[b]1.[/b] the "tongues of men" is the ability to speak in a human language (Spanish, French, Chinese, etc) that you do not know, and which would thus be foreign to you, but the hearer who knows the language would understand.
[b]2.[/b] the "tongues of angels" is the inexpressable groanings of Rom 8:26, an intimate prayer language between you and God that only God would understand.

On Pentecost, the [b][i]12[/i][/b] apostles were speaking in tongues, but this became a language that [b][i]15[/i][/b] different tribes could understand. Furthermore, Acts 2:6 said that this one sound became to each tribe their own native language. This leads me to believe that, instead of a scenario where you have each apostle assigned a different foreign language, you have all 12 speaking one angelic tongue that became intelligible to each person there, despite their language barriers. Basically, I guess you could say that what happened at Pentecost was a combination of both tongues. At least, that is my understand of it. For more on this, see [url=http://scripturecatholic.com/tongues.html]Tongue Speaking[/url].

Pax Christi,
phatcatholic