An Old School Catholic Message Board

Woman's Group

Deus te Amat

Deus te Amat

One thing I noticed last year at school was that my Faith Life really suffered because no one ever talked about the Faith on a personal level. Lots of intellectual discussions, but few on a personal level.

So, this year, I think I'm going to try starting a small woman's group within my class. We'd go to Mass and dinner together, and discuss how we struggle with God or see Him working in our lives. I'd love it if you all could share some ideas about what we could do within our meetings.

Thank you. :)

That sounds like a great idea! :) You could always read a book together, or choose different topics to discuss, or do a Bible study as part of the group. All of those things are good for providing structure for fellowship groups. I'll be praying for the success of your group!

We've been studying apologetics right before our women's meetings at church. It has been an outstanding bonding experience for all of us. One woman emailed me on Wednesday and said she had been having a hard week, and was coming on Thursday to the meeting because she really needed it.

TeresaBenedicta

Faith groups can be good at a certain level, I think... I know that I used to get a lot out of them and found them to be very helpful to my spiritual growth. As I've grown spiritually, however, I find myself no longer really participating in such groups. I don't feel as comfortable sharing the intimate details of my spiritual life in group settings. Instead, I have one or two close friends with whom I am comfortable talking about the spiritual life. I find the one on one to be not only more beneficial for me, but also more authentic. Spiritual friendship is very much important to a good a spiritual life, if you can find it.

I think a faith group may be a good idea, but remember it can only go so far. But who knows, maybe through that group you will find someone with whom a spiritual friendship can form.

VeniteAdoremus

I would also prefer a group with a more or less definite goal (like studying apologetics, or encyclicals) to a "share" group. You can plan in social time around the studying and use it to talk about more personal things spontaneously.

This is also because IRL I am a surprisingly antisocial geek who is yet to inform most of her friends that she'll be leaving in a month. Private is the word ;) And I understand most people aren't like that, but that's what I would like.

NovemberFourth

I would love something like this in our church, unfortunately as we have had a succession of temporary priests for the last two years there are not many groups or activities - social or study.

N4

princessgianna

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1932572' date='Jul 26 2009, 03:47 PM']One thing I noticed last year at school was that my Faith Life really suffered because no one ever talked about the Faith on a personal level. Lots of intellectual discussions, but few on a personal level.

So, this year, I think I'm going to try starting a small woman's group within my class. We'd go to Mass and dinner together, and discuss how we struggle with God or see Him working in our lives. I'd love it if you all could share some ideas about what we could do within our meetings.

Thank you. :)[/quote]
That sounds really cool! The closest thing to a "woman's group" is coffee with my mom. Not a bad thing! :)

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/matt+maher/track/alive+in+you"]Matt Maher - Alive In You[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

+Praised be Jesus Christ

The Carmelite Secular group I belong to does something really beautiful. During "formation," the leader would hand out print outs of various writings/quotes/articles (usually by the same Carmelite author, usually based upon a particular theme..."suffering," "intimacy with God," "love," "forgiveness," etc.) and we would read them (together, quietly). Then we would take turns sharing about how different quotes touched us - the conversation would take a more personal, yet always spiritual vein. Naturally, we would end with a prayer, but not before we each individually prayed and answered the question (if we wanted to - some would choose to be silent) "What is the Lord inviting you to do?"

The group that I started with have all gone forward...and we are using the same method to study different spiritualities...it is an excellent format! Educational, spiritual and very affirming in the practical living of our Faith.

I think this general format could be adapted for any group.

Pax,
TradMom