traichuoi Posted April 8, 2004 Posted April 8, 2004 i don't think the genre of music can give way to something being evil or wrong so long as it points towards God and Catholic theology. some churches have gotten way out of hand because the songs being sung at mass are in total contradiction to Catholic theology. also, in writing music for liturgical use, it can't be written without proper study. meaning that liturgical music has "rules" (for lack of better word) that help the people pray. for instance, when praying a song and you sing the word "death" it should be a low note. if you sing the word "joy" it should be a high note. that is a simple way of explaining it but i did want to point out that there are guidelines to follow when writing this type of music because not only are we praying with the words but we are also praying with the notes, harmony, etc. so, if someone wrote a rock n roll song that was theologically correct and followed these guidelines, why not have it in mass? with this said, i prefer simple Catholic hymns...but that's just me...oh yea, i also love the Tridentine liturgy too...how about that Blazer?
BLAZEr Posted April 8, 2004 Posted April 8, 2004 Trai, I'm telling you, we were made for each other . . . I have an idea, if you ever enter a Carmelite convent and I become a priest . . . well, have ever read the letters of St. Therese to the priests she was spiritually united to? Or maybe we can just get married? LOL . . . kidding . . . I'm not a wierdo .. .
traichuoi Posted April 8, 2004 Posted April 8, 2004 woah! is that suppose to be a proposal? i expect more than that...seriously... can u imagine being a priest and me being a nun and us going around cussing with a beer in hand and our good, mutual friend is *ahem* Hyper?
BLAZEr Posted April 8, 2004 Posted April 8, 2004 A proposal? I'm a romantic . . . did you read my post on that [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=9978&hl=proposals"]proposal thread[/url]? Anyway, I'm telling you, you would love CL . . . Hyper would fit in perfectly too . . . we're all a bunch of screwed up human beings trying to follow the Presence of Christ in our midst.
PedroX Posted April 8, 2004 Posted April 8, 2004 I want to hang out with you guys too, but no need to write me any sappy letters. peace...
traichuoi Posted April 8, 2004 Posted April 8, 2004 Pedro, what's your beer of choice? (did we just hijack this thread? LOL)
PedroX Posted April 8, 2004 Posted April 8, 2004 Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter, that Belgian Trappist Ale with the funny name (the red label) or Wood Chuck Cider (on tap) However, since these are a bit hard to find I usually drink Newcastle, or Tanqueray and Tonic. If you see me sipping Bushmills, be prepared for a long conversation! peace...
BLAZEr Posted April 8, 2004 Posted April 8, 2004 if you like Trappist beers, have you ever tried Ommegang? Its a Belgian Ale brewed in upstate New York. It's one of my favs.
theculturewarrior Posted April 8, 2004 Posted April 8, 2004 (edited) Not to regress, but by my premise on inculturation, I do not mean to castigate any culture. Every culture has some form of folk worship. In America it happens to be our hymnody. I have been to spanish masses where they play traditional Mexican folk songs. It was a positive experience, and I believe this is because in Mexico, they have folk songs that are about God. It works, because many traditional mexican folk songs happen to be about God. I have also been to Mariachi masses, and these are usually a negative experience, and I believe this is because Mariachi is a secular style. The American folk tradition seems to be a little bit more secular too. American popular music even moreso. And the stuff they play in church seems to be without progenitor. [b]Where did it come from???[/b] Oh yeah...[b]I'll take shiner bock, in a long neck.[/b] Edited April 8, 2004 by theculturewarrior
VeraMaria Posted April 9, 2004 Posted April 9, 2004 [quote name='theculturewarrior' date='Apr 8 2004, 05:58 PM'] have been to spanish masses where they play traditional Mexican folk songs. It was a positive experience, and I believe this is because in Mexico, they have folk songs that are about God. It works, because many traditional mexican folk songs happen to be about God. [/quote] Yep...I lived in Mexico for four years....and I've also realized now, that I live here, how many of their traditional songs are about God...wow...I love Mexican masses...ok....that was off-topic...lol....back to C.F.R... ( )
popestpiusx Posted April 9, 2004 Posted April 9, 2004 al lthis talk about beer and tommorrow is Good Friday. Sunday is too far away. By the way I make my own beer. BlazeR, have you ever had Chimay? It's a belgian trappist brew. Ok now we are way off topic.
popestpiusx Posted April 9, 2004 Posted April 9, 2004 All this talk about beer and tommorrow is Good Friday. Sunday is too far away. By the way I make my own beer. BlazeR, have you ever had Chimay? It's a belgian trappist brew. Ok now we are way off topic.
cmotherofpirl Posted April 9, 2004 Posted April 9, 2004 Forget the topic . Did anybody bring any wine? It is Holy THursday still, the night of Bread and Wine.
BLAZEr Posted April 9, 2004 Posted April 9, 2004 C-Mom I have bread and wine . . . I have a St. Rita reserva from Chile and some Blue Nun if you like white wine . . . Come on over . . . I'm just doing laundry . . . and my feet are stinky, I need to wash them . . . TONIGHT . . . I shoulda just had Father do it! lol
PedroX Posted April 9, 2004 Posted April 9, 2004 Chimay!!! Thats what I was trying to think of Earlier. Red Label is better than the blue, but its all good! Blazer, I have had Ommergang, but Chimay is much better. peace...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now