An Old School Catholic Message Board

What To Do After Highschool

Christie_M

Hey Pham, I need some advice. I'll try to keep this short and simple without going into so much backround/junk info. ;)

I'm closing in on finishing up highschool and am being hammered by everyone on where I'm going for college this fall (I'm currently registered at 2 Jr. colleges). Truth is, I don't really want to take classes THIS fall for many reasons, but I would like to start full time in the Spring. (I already have about a semester's worth[12 credits] of units from the past 2 years)

So, for quite some time now, I've been thinking about joining one of two braches of the military; Navy or the Coast Guard.
Getting into the accademy and becomming an officer is my goal here, but as far as I know, only the Navy has a Health team program (I want to be a Nurse Practitioner) and the Coast Guard does not.

The Coast Guard is my first choice because I'm more or less going to be staying on our shores.

At this point I don't want to contact a recruter because I still have alot of work to do. (like earn my high school deploma and lose 20lbs)

Hope that made some sence :)

any advice is appriciated.

edit: messed up on the title. :mellow:

Edited by Christie_M

[quote name='Christie_M' post='1934512' date='Jul 28 2009, 11:17 PM']Hey Pham, I need some advice. I'll try to keep this short and simple without going into so much backround/junk info. ;)

I'm closing in on finishing up highschool and am being hammered by everyone on where I'm going for college this fall (I'm currently registered at 2 Jr. colleges). Truth is, I don't really want to take classes THIS fall for many reasons, but I would like to start full time in the Spring. (I already have about a semester's worth[12 credits] of units from the past 2 years)

So, for quite some time now, I've been thinking about joining one of two braches of the military; Navy or the Coast Guard.
Getting into the accademy and becomming an officer is my goal here, but as far as I know, only the Navy has a Health team program (I want to be a Nurse Practitioner) and the Coast Guard does not.

The Coast Guard is my first choice because I'm more or less going to be staying on our shores.

At this point I don't want to contact a recruter because I still have alot of work to do. (like earn my high school deploma and lose 20lbs)

Hope that made some sence :)

any advice is appriciated.

edit: messed up on the title. :mellow:[/quote]

Does your High School have a JROTC program?

I think your plan sounds like a good idea. But when you meet with a recruiter you have to remember that their job is to get you to sign on the dotted line. Do you know anyone with a great deal of experience in the Navy?

[quote name='Hassan' post='1934518' date='Jul 28 2009, 10:24 PM']Does your High School have a JROTC program?

I think your plan sounds like a good idea. But when you meet with a recruiter you have to remember that their job is to get you to sign on the dotted line. Do you know anyone with a great deal of experience in the Navy?[/quote]

No, my highschool doesn't. and I'm homeschooled (under the public school's curriculem....long story)

I have two uncles who have been in the Navy long ago, and currently another uncle is in the process of being accepted into the Navy (he was in the Marrines before that), and I'm already training with him to get physically prepared.
Does that count? :unsure:

Edited by Christie_M

[quote name='Christie_M' post='1934521' date='Jul 28 2009, 11:29 PM']No, my highschool doesn't. and I'm homeschooled (under the public school's curriculem....long story)

I have two uncles who have been in the Navy long ago, and currently another uncle is in the process of being accepted into the Navy (he was in the Marrines before that), but I'm already training with him to get physically prepared.[/quote]

Oh. It's just that you want to try and talk to someone who knows what the best way for you to get to the USNA from the enlisted ranks who you can talk to. I mean talk to arecruiter but you need to get what they say checked out. I know it happens. I know someone who was in the Navy and got offered admission as part of a reenlistment package but I don't know how you want to do it.

Marie-Therese

[quote name='Hassan' post='1934518' date='Jul 29 2009, 12:24 AM']I think your plan sounds like a good idea. But when you meet with a recruiter you have to remember that their job is to get you to sign on the dotted line. Do you know anyone with a great deal of experience in the Navy?[/quote]

:yes: Hassan is right about the recruiter thing. They are there for the sole reason of getting you enlisted. I know, because my dad was a Navy recruiter many many years ago.

Every male in my family except my grandfather (who was Army) and my uncle (who was National Guard) has been Navy. I am a proud Navy brat. :) I can tell you that your chances of admission into a medical program is definitely going to be confined to the 4 major branches. The Navy is the branch of service I'd enter if I were you, looking at medical. The Navy medical corps is very strong. As Hassan said, though, I'd be wary of promises from recruiters. They will tell you just about anything to get you to sign. Ask to speak to the Head Recruiter and ask specific questions. Also, get anything they offer you in writing before you commit. If they won't do that, contact the office of the Naval Inspector General (you can link to that office from the navy.gov website). There is a big difference between the USNA admissions and going through medical training via the enlisted route.

Hope this helps!

IcePrincessKRS

I'd spend as much of that time as possible getting physically prepared for joining the military. Get in as many college credits as you can if you intend to be an officer. I'm not sure about the other branches but you need at least 90 college credits to get into the officer program in the Army. The Marine Corps doesn't require a degree now that I think about it (my brother is a Marine and is looking into their officer program, but the Marine Corps also doesn't have their own medical personnel, they rely on the Navy for that... not that you were even considering the Marines, I'm just pointing out some of the differences between branches), but even with that the more credits you have under your belt the better your chances are of getting into the program. You won't be guaranteed to stay on our shores if you join the Navy, but you may not get the job skill you want with the Coast Guard (the National Guard does have a medical service corps). And, obviously, as Hassan pointed out, research your options. You want to know exactly what you're getting into and what you're getting out of it before you sign and swear in.

[quote name='Marie-Therese' post='1934542' date='Jul 29 2009, 12:04 AM']:yes: Hassan is right about the recruiter thing...[/quote]

[quote name='Marie-Therese' post='1934542' date='Jul 29 2009, 12:04 AM']As Hassan said....[/quote]

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1934547' date='Jul 29 2009, 12:29 AM']And, obviously, as Hassan pointed out....[/quote]

I think what Peyton and IceP are saying is that you need to listen and, without question, obey all the advice I give you regarding your post High School career :yes:

Edited by Hassan