An Old School Catholic Message Board

Rights Of Baby Cut From Womb Uncertain...

Brother Adam

Brother Adam

[quote]RIGHTS OF BABY CUT FROM WOMB UNCERTAIN

Catholic League president Bill Donohue addresses the uncertainties surrounding the eight-month old baby who was cut from her mother’s womb in Worcester, Massachusetts:

When Barack Obama was in the Illinois state senate, he led the fight to deny health care to babies born as a result of a botched abortion. It is not certain what he would say if asked whether the baby who survived being cut from the womb of Darlene Haynes should be attended to by physicians. [color="#FF0000"]If you notice, the media is still calling the child a 'fetus'.[/color]

Nor is it certain what one of his science advisors would say. John P. Holdren, director of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, co-authored a book in the 1970s wherein he maintained that an unborn child “[i]after birth[/i], will [i]ultimately[/i] develop into a human being.” (My italics.) This would seem to indicate that this baby, in particular, isn’t a human being. Holdren is also on record saying that he supports the right of trees to sue: In the 1970s, he wrote that “natural objects” like trees should be given standing in court. He maintained that by allowing trees to sue, it would have a “most salubrious” effect on the environment. [color="#FF0000"]Sounds like a mix of Nazi Germany and US hippies.[/color]

In other words, it is questionable whether kids who survive an abortion or a murderer’s knife are entitled to health care, but it is about time we granted rights to weeping willows. And this was supposed to be the most ethical administration in American history. It just doesn’t get any sicker than this.[color="#FF0000"]Amen Mr. Donohue.[/color][/quote]

If the proponents of the health care reform resist including language that directly excludes abortion from federal funding, then their agenda is made very clear.

8 months? Isn't it illegal to get an abortion that late? Or have I completely misread the article :mellow:

Edited by Varg

In Canada, it is legal to have an abortion at any stage of development. Whether a doctor will do one that late or not, I don't know. Morgentaler probably would.

Marie-Therese

[quote name='Varg' post='1935611' date='Jul 30 2009, 12:40 PM']8 months? Isn't it illegal to get an abortion that late? Or have I completely misread the article :mellow:[/quote]

Varg, not sure about the UK, but in the US it depends on where you are. Governance of abortion procedures differs from state to state, and sometimes even within states. In some places abortions are significantly restricted; however, in other places, late-term abortions (including eighth month pregnancies) are permissable.

Abortion laws make no sense. They're based on accidents, not humanity. The weakness of my enemies disgusts me.

Brother Adam

[quote name='Varg' post='1936476' date='Jul 31 2009, 10:13 AM']Wow, really? I don't agree with late-term abortions...[/quote]

Why not?

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1936523' date='Jul 31 2009, 09:22 AM']Why not?[/quote]
Because the being is more developed and may be counted as a person

Brother Adam

When, in your view, does personhood begin and how did you determine to draw the line there?

My baby looked awful self aware and conscious at 9.5 weeks of pregnancy, he responded quite strongly to the ultrasound waves by moving away from them.

[quote name='Varg' post='1936546' date='Jul 31 2009, 11:02 AM']When it becomes self-aware and concious[/quote]
So when you're sleeping, do you cease being?

[quote name='Luthien' post='1936633' date='Jul 31 2009, 12:46 PM']My baby looked awful self aware and conscious at 9.5 weeks of pregnancy, he responded quite strongly to the ultrasound waves by moving away from them.[/quote]

lol Aaron did the same thing and so does Lil' Bean.

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1936635' date='Jul 31 2009, 11:47 AM']So when you're sleeping, do you cease being?[/quote]No, because your brain is still functioning.