CatherineM Posted August 1, 2009 Posted August 1, 2009 I love to go camping. It's kind of hard here to do it without a car. That's one of the first things we are going to do when we get a car in February. Well, maybe we'll wait until the temps get above zero first.
CatherineM Posted August 1, 2009 Posted August 1, 2009 Although there are times I love a good motel too. Hubby took me to the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel for our first anniversary. The room was two stories in this turret on the castle. We had high tea by the big fire place looking out over the snow covered Rockies.
KnightofChrist Posted August 2, 2009 Posted August 2, 2009 I love camping. But every time I go it rains, really I think it has been every single time.
BG45 Posted August 2, 2009 Posted August 2, 2009 [quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1938847' date='Aug 2 2009, 08:37 AM']I love camping. But every time I go it rains, really I think it has been every single time.[/quote] Ditto. Do you dig the trench around your tent too? Nothing fancy, just a couple inches of earth to stop a mini-flood.
KnightofChrist Posted August 2, 2009 Posted August 2, 2009 [quote name='BG45' post='1938851' date='Aug 2 2009, 07:51 AM']Ditto. Do you dig the trench around your tent too? Nothing fancy, just a couple inches of earth to stop a mini-flood.[/quote] When possible... or as much as possible.
txdinghysailor Posted August 2, 2009 Posted August 2, 2009 I love camping. I was in Boy Scouts. I like backpacking too, and canoe trips. One time I did a canoe trip in Canada. That was awesome, except when we had to carry our canoes and packs through thigh deep mud.
txdinghysailor Posted August 2, 2009 Posted August 2, 2009 [quote name='Resurrexi' post='1938911' date='Aug 2 2009, 01:01 PM']I like staying at hotels.[/quote] fail.
Resurrexi Posted August 2, 2009 Posted August 2, 2009 [quote name='txdinghysailor' post='1938912' date='Aug 2 2009, 11:07 AM']fail.[/quote] I'm not a very outdoorsy person.
zunshynn Posted August 2, 2009 Posted August 2, 2009 I love camping. My family goes camping in Lake Tahoe every year. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. It has to be real camping though... None of this trailer stuff, or staying at a hotel. That's so unbelievably lame. FYI, if you're afraid of bears, pour Pine Sol around the perimeter of your camp site before you go to bed.
rachael Posted August 2, 2009 Posted August 2, 2009 [quote name='Resurrexi' post='1938915' date='Aug 2 2009, 12:13 PM']I'm not a very outdoorsy person.[/quote] no way.
txdinghysailor Posted August 2, 2009 Posted August 2, 2009 [quote name='Resurrexi' post='1938915' date='Aug 2 2009, 01:13 PM']I'm not a very outdoorsy person.[/quote] I feel sorry for you. [quote name='zunshynn' post='1938936' date='Aug 2 2009, 01:58 PM']I love camping. My family goes camping in Lake Tahoe every year. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. It has to be real camping though... None of this trailer stuff, or staying at a hotel. That's so unbelievably lame. FYI, if you're afraid of bears, pour Pine Sol around the perimeter of your camp site before you go to bed.[/quote] Is it crowded in lake Tahoe? My family goes to this lake in Texas every spring break. We bring our sailboat and some canoes, and just have fun in the water for a week. Mucho funno.
CatherineM Posted August 2, 2009 Posted August 2, 2009 I've done the North Carolina section of the AT. I still have my tin can stove.
txdinghysailor Posted August 2, 2009 Posted August 2, 2009 [quote name='CatherineM' post='1939019' date='Aug 2 2009, 03:33 PM']I've done the North Carolina section of the AT. I still have my tin can stove.[/quote] I'm jealous. One day I'm gonna thru-hike the AT.
CatherineM Posted August 2, 2009 Posted August 2, 2009 [quote name='txdinghysailor' post='1939028' date='Aug 2 2009, 01:45 PM']I'm jealous. One day I'm gonna thru-hike the AT.[/quote] I always wanted to find the time to do the whole hike, but basically refused to take off that much time from work. Now that I have the time, I'm physically incapable of doing it. The two things I remember most is how quiet it was, and how dark it got. The stars were just so bright.
icelandic_iceskater Posted August 2, 2009 Posted August 2, 2009 [quote name='BG45' post='1938851' date='Aug 2 2009, 09:51 AM']Ditto. Do you dig the trench around your tent too? Nothing fancy, just a couple inches of earth to stop a mini-flood.[/quote] ooh, this is a good idea! *makes mental note* [quote name='zunshynn' post='1938936' date='Aug 2 2009, 01:58 PM']It has to be real camping though... None of this trailer stuff, or staying at a hotel. That's so unbelievably lame.[/quote] and no electricity... and waking up to find snow on the ground... <<<that's always fun. [quote name='txdinghysailor' post='1939028' date='Aug 2 2009, 03:45 PM']I'm jealous. One day I'm gonna thru-hike the AT.[/quote] ditto. 5-6 months straight... I realllllly hope to do that someday.
txdinghysailor Posted August 2, 2009 Posted August 2, 2009 [quote name='icelandic_iceskater' post='1939095' date='Aug 2 2009, 05:21 PM']ooh, this is a good idea! *makes mental note* and no electricity... and waking up to find snow on the ground... <<<that's always fun. ditto. 5-6 months straight... I realllllly hope to do that someday.[/quote] Actually, what's a better idea than digging a trench is just being smart where you pitch your tent. As long as you don't put it in a ditch or a low spot that will fill with water, you shouldn't need a trench. No electricity is a must. And one time I slept outside my tent when it got down to 15 degrees. that was fun.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now