An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Am The Bread Of Life

MissyP89

Are you the Bread of Life?  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1938920' date='Aug 2 2009, 12:35 PM']Have you ever heard Ave Verum? I think that is a way more in your face defense of the Real Presence...

I don't know, I dislike it more because it gives me a headache than it's theological inaccuracy. It's one of those songs that always sounds like wailing no matter what.

I think as a "story" kind of song it is theologically okay... but I don't think that type of song is really appropriate for mass, least of all communion. It's a time of adoration, not apologetics... It's not about defending or learning about the Eucharist, it's about worshipping the Eucharist.

Songs addressed TO God are what we really should be singing... We sing so many songs that are about us... about being a community, about what God does for us... rather than a direct act of thanksgiving, or adoration. I think that's a problem that has subtly caused us to have this mentality that I'm supposed to be noticeably "getting something out of Mass" for it to be worth it.[/quote]

No, I don't believe I've heard "Ave Verum". Is it sung in Latin or English?

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1938957' date='Aug 2 2009, 12:18 PM']No, I don't believe I've heard "Ave Verum". Is it sung in Latin or English?[/quote]

It is in Latin.

There are several settings. There is obviously the Gregorian chant setting. Byrd and Mozart also wrote important settings.

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1938324' date='Aug 1 2009, 08:45 PM']I very much despise that song. It's theologically incorrect. I will not sing it, or any other song that puts me in the place of God. I want to shout: "I am not the Bread of Life! Jesus IS!" :annoyed:

I'll let you know if we use it in Mass tomorrow. I hope we don't. There's a new cantor who is classically trained in voice, and since she came, we've been enjoying "Panis Angelicus" and "Pie Jesu." :D[/quote]
New cantor? Good to have some new blood in these positions, I think (though I could rant on about the imposition of the position of cantor into the Roman liturgy :detective:). Though, I wanna rant on how those solo pieces Panis Angelicus, Pie Jesu, and Ave Maria were in fact a problem in the time of St. Pius X 'cause there was this movement to make everything in the liturgy operatic, featuring a soloist instead of "including" the choir and the people that is traditional to the Church. In other words, the mass was becoming a concert with a focus on the skill of the singer, instead of on the liturgy and the meaning of having many voices singing (hence St. P Pius' motu proprio on Gregorian chant & polyphony).

Okay I'm done :mellow:

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1938922' date='Aug 2 2009, 12:39 PM']I love "Ave Verum". It is the first prayer that I pray whenever I go to adoration.[/quote]
Ik,e? It's great! I love Lauda Sion too!.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1938958' date='Aug 2 2009, 01:21 PM']It is in Latin.

There are several settings. There is obviously the Gregorian chant setting. Byrd and Mozart also wrote important settings.[/quote]

That's what I thought, but I just wanted to know if there was an English version in use.

Since there is not (at least nobody has posted one), it leads to my next point.

The reason I say it is IN YOUR FACE is because it is based on a Bible passage so clear that a protesatant cannot deny it. And since it is in English, protestants in the US and English-speaking countries can understand it, whereas I don't know how many protestants know Latin. I also find it an especially powerful apologetic tool to be used at funeral Masses where protestant acquaintances of a Catholic deceased may attend.

Unless you believe we should wait for protestants to understand Latin before we evangelize them?

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1938968' date='Aug 2 2009, 12:30 PM']That's what I thought, but I just wanted to know if there was an English version in use.

Since there is not (at least nobody has posted one), it leads to my next point.

The reason I say it is IN YOUR FACE is because it is based on a Bible passage so clear that a protesatant cannot deny it. And since it is in English, protestants in the US and English-speaking countries can understand it, whereas I don't know how many protestants know Latin. I also find it an especially powerful apologetic tool to be used at funeral Masses where protestant acquaintances of a Catholic deceased may attend.

Unless you believe we should wait for protestants to understand Latin before we evangelize them?[/quote]

Instead of singing "I am the Bread of Life" the priest could read a selection from [i]John[/i] 6 during the procession, thus showing the truth of Catholicism.

Then the choir could sing a beautiful (preferably polyphonic) setting of "Ave Verum" to show them the beauty of Catholicism.

InHisLove726

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1938920' date='Aug 2 2009, 12:35 PM']Have you ever heard Ave Verum? I think that is a way more in your face defense of the Real Presence...

I don't know, I dislike it more because it gives me a headache than it's theological inaccuracy. It's one of those songs that always sounds like wailing no matter what.

I think as a "story" kind of song it is theologically okay... but I don't think that type of song is really appropriate for mass, least of all communion. It's a time of adoration, not apologetics... It's not about defending or learning about the Eucharist, it's about worshipping the Eucharist.

Songs addressed TO God are what we really should be singing... We sing so many songs that are about us... about being a community, about what God does for us... rather than a direct act of thanksgiving, or adoration. I think that's a problem that has subtly caused us to have this mentality that I'm supposed to be noticeably "getting something out of Mass" for it to be worth it.[/quote]

iawtc

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1938962' date='Aug 2 2009, 01:24 PM']New cantor? Good to have some new blood in these positions, I think (though I could rant on about the imposition of the position of cantor into the Roman liturgy :detective:). Though, I wanna rant on how those solo pieces Panis Angelicus, Pie Jesu, and Ave Maria were in fact a problem in the time of St. Pius X 'cause there was this movement to make everything in the liturgy operatic, featuring a soloist instead of "including" the choir and the people that is traditional to the Church. In other words, the mass was becoming a concert with a focus on the skill of the singer, instead of on the liturgy and the meaning of having many voices singing (hence St. P Pius' motu proprio on Gregorian chant & polyphony).

Okay I'm done :mellow:

Ik,e? It's great! I love Lauda Sion too!.[/quote]

What can I say? I'm a rebel..... ;) :evil:

InHisLove726

Unfortunately, we did sing it in Mass during the start of Communion, but I was an EMHC today and didn't have to sing it. :yahoo: This is one of the times I actually was glad that I was serving so I could get away from singing that song... :saint:

On a more positive note, we did sing Panis Angelicus for the offertory hymn. ;) Instead of the cantor singing it alone, she started and then everyone sang the second line with her. Beautiful! :))

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1938968' date='Aug 2 2009, 10:30 AM']Unless you believe we should wait for protestants to understand Latin before we evangelize them?[/quote]

No but I do believe we should refrain from trying to evangelize protestants during the liturgy of the Eucharist through the music selection.

Notice that RCIA candidates have already left for that part of the mass... It definitely isn't about evangelization.

icelandic_iceskater

[quote name='Marie-Therese' post='1938950' date='Aug 2 2009, 02:09 PM']We didn't sing it.[/quote]
ditto.

CatholicCid

A few slight word changes removes the 'narrative' feel.

Though, I must admit it reminds me somewhat of the last portion of Psalm 91, which also seems to be a bit 'narrative'y.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

We sang it and our Pastor has a thing about talking about relationships in the homily as opposed to what the real presence is all about. He did mention that it is the Body and Blood of Our Lord, but it was a rather vague reference all the same. Oh well. Sorry... back to the hymn...

:whistle:

Edited by FutureNunJMJ