An Old School Catholic Message Board

Country Experiencing Epidemic Of Loneliness

Marie-Therese

Marie-Therese

[url="http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2009/08/02/shuler-thoughts-lonliness/"]Read the full story here.[/url]

[quote name='Hassan' post='1939418' date='Aug 2 2009, 08:58 PM']I'm good :idontknow:[/quote]

The voices in your head don't count...

[quote name='Marie-Therese' post='1939317' date='Aug 2 2009, 09:57 PM'][url="http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2009/08/02/shuler-thoughts-lonliness/"]Read the full story here.[/url][/quote]
Interesting.

I read this to my hubby last night and we were talking about how television and the internet have taken the place of real relationships. In the former situation, I think people can have a tendency to live vicariously through the relationships of the characters in shows they watch. Think about how many of our popular TV shows have a significant relational element.

In the latter situation, you get to be involved in relationship but without the risk of real relationship. I think the telephone can give a similar distancing effect, although not to the same extent as online. We talked about this a little with regard to online dating, since that's how we met. We pretty quickly moved from e-mails to phone to meeting in person, and that's because we both knew that having those safety buffers in place (in e-mail or phone) mean you don't see the fullness of the person. With e-mail and phone, you can just turn it off, and leaving is a relatively painless process. In-person communication is much more powerful.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1939599' date='Aug 3 2009, 08:33 AM']me three.[/quote]
maybe it's why all of us get so snarky to each other sometimes. :unsure:

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='rachael' post='1939676' date='Aug 3 2009, 12:42 PM']maybe it's why all of us get so snarky to each other sometimes. :unsure:[/quote]
Probably just one of many.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1939599' date='Aug 3 2009, 08:33 AM']me three.[/quote]
Three can be as bad as one. It's the loneliest number since the number one.

[quote name='Era Might' post='1939681' date='Aug 3 2009, 11:49 AM']Three can be as bad as one. It's the loneliest number since the number one.[/quote]
:whistle:

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1939598' date='Aug 3 2009, 08:27 AM']Interesting.

I read this to my hubby last night and we were talking about how television and the internet have taken the place of real relationships. In the former situation, I think people can have a tendency to live vicariously through the relationships of the characters in shows they watch. Think about how many of our popular TV shows have a significant relational element.

In the latter situation, you get to be involved in relationship but without the risk of real relationship. I think the telephone can give a similar distancing effect, although not to the same extent as online. We talked about this a little with regard to online dating, since that's how we met. We pretty quickly moved from e-mails to phone to meeting in person, and that's because we both knew that having those safety buffers in place (in e-mail or phone) mean you don't see the fullness of the person. With e-mail and phone, you can just turn it off, and leaving is a relatively painless process. In-person communication is much more powerful.[/quote]
it's also easier to tell people things online or on the phone than it is to tell them in person. I've had people tell me things in a text that I know they'd never say to my face. I refuse to go out with a guy who asks me out by a text message because he doesn't have the guts to ask me in person. if he really wants to date me, he can take the extra step.

I've also been in a situation where the person I was trying to talk to refused to meet me. he wanted to have the conversation over the phone because he knew it would be easier, which was the exact reason I didn't want to talk on the phone. some conversations are too important not to have face-to-face, and he didn't seem to understand that.