An Old School Catholic Message Board

Alternative Way To Travel

txdinghysailor

txdinghysailor

So I've heard from everyone I've talked to that the safest way to travel, especially in foreign countries, is with a buddy, or just with a group. I have an contradicting idea. If you travel with a group, and it's obvious that you're all together, you stand out as tourists. If you're by yourself, and you keep your head down, and you keep your camera in your bag, and generally act inconspicuous, I think you're actually safer. Don't gawk, don't look around too much, pretend you know where you're going, look like you belong, and you'll be perfectly safe. I used this philosophy while traveling on my own through Monaco, France, and Italy. I don't speak a word of French or Italian, but I felt perfectly safe at all times, and I never had any problems with the people.

Also, I found that it's a lot of fun to just go to random places, rather than have a plan and go to landmarks. In Italy I got a map, compared the names on the map to the departure board at the train station, and chose a random city to go to. On the way back, I jumped off the train at a random mountain town and went hiking for a coupla hours. When I got back to the train station, I jumped on another train and got back to the boat safely. Be spontaneous! It's fun, and you see parts of the country that most people ignore.

Anyways, random ramblings from a deranged mind...

It probably depends where you are. If you're white and you're visiting Africa, you're going to stand out whether you're alone or in a group. If you're white and you're visiting France, you're more likely to blend in.

puellapaschalis

I generally travel alone, but that's cos I'm as stubborn as a mule and can quickly make a group trip hell on earth.

I have done a lot of traveling in Central America by myself. It can be interesting to be a woman alone there. It makes it really fun though.

And you probably don't want to scream in the subway when the lights blink like I did on my honeymoon. I was shocked no one else cared. Obviously this was my first subway ride in New York City. And I refused to get in a cab! :mellow:

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Era Might' post='1939958' date='Aug 3 2009, 06:48 PM']It probably depends where you are. If you're white and you're visiting Africa, you're going to stand out whether you're alone or in a group. If you're white and you're visiting France, you're more likely to blend in.[/quote]

Not in South Africa.

And when you're 6'4", you tend to stand out no matter where you are. And when you're 6'4", you can gawk all you want because ain't nobody gonna bother you ;)

It would be nice to travel with one or two companions, unless you happen to know people in most of the places you're visiting.

Edited by LouisvilleFan

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1940465' date='Aug 4 2009, 01:12 PM']Not in South Africa.

And when you're 6'4", you tend to stand out no matter where you are. And when you're 6'4", you can gawk all you want because ain't nobody gonna bother you ;)[/quote]
Unless you're also a scrawny geek. :)

princessgianna

So I obviously from European/ American roots can totally blend in with the Japanese. :unsure: I don't know about that.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1940484' date='Aug 4 2009, 02:21 PM']But the Japanese love Americans.

As all nations should.[/quote]
:lol:

Yes, and there's nothing to worry about in Japan.

It was soooooo cute when these sweet older Japanese men would worry about my husband and me. I just thanked them but honestly, we're from [i]Chicago[/i]. Wandering through Tokyo was probably the safest we've ever been. :rolleyes: <_<

I remember being in Juarez on May 1st one year, and they were having a May Day, Communist type parade. There were riot police and guard dogs everywhere. I'm about a head taller than the average Mexican, and there was no way I was going to blend in to the crush of humanity. My roommate was with me at the time, and she's real short. She was afraid of getting lost in the crowds, and put her hands around my backpack so we wouldn't get separated. I wonder if they are allowing the parades anymore with all the drug violence going on in Juarez right now.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1940484' date='Aug 4 2009, 02:21 PM']But the Japanese love Americans.[/quote]

Especially blonde haired Americans.