An Old School Catholic Message Board

Falling Asleep...

White Knight

White Knight

Hey guys, its Aaron "White Knight" for those who dont know me. Anyway heres the topic subject.

I just got off work at 4:00PM CST time, and went to the Bank and then to Church to spend time in Prayer while visiting Jesus in the Most Blessed Sacrament, and I probally was awake for about only 15 minutes in prayer, then I fell asleep for aleast 45 minutes and I woke up about 5:30PM CST, Still very tired and disspointed that I once again have fallen asleep during Eucharistic Adoration, Ive been going exhausted lately, because of my job. the last 3 or four times aleast Ive fallen asleep in or out that is during the Holy Hour, I feel very bad about this, and want to give the Lord the proper time He Deserves, but often Ive been showing up to the Holy Hours for Eucharistic Adoration very tired and sleepy, and hard to focus, or to even listen to the Lord, its been hard to have a heart to heart talk, especially when I haven't been able to focus during Adoration.

Here are my occurances.

1) Ive been to Eucharistic Adoration before and not tired at all, but sometimes while reflecting or meditating, I find myself drifting off or even passing out, even when I haven't been working that day. "Like a day off" or something, I still find it very difficult to stay focused and give the proper reflection time, even when I'm not tired.

2) Ive also have sometimes been only getting so much sleep like 3-5 hours of sleep, at night, then getting to work by 7AM , then go to Adoration after work to spend some time with the Lord, even though I'm tired afterwards, I still go, and I still fall asleep. and I never get to properly reflect during that Hour, and I just feel very bad about it.

3) Even when I can focus, sometimes Ive been getting so distracted mentally that I cannot even focus on what is right in front of me, Our Blessed Lord Jesus Christ, Truely, Really, and Substanically Present Under the appearances of Bread and Wine, yet no longer Bread and Wine, but Jesus Christ Himself. My Mind drifts when trying to focus on this deep mystery, and I feel bad for not giving it its respect.

What can be done to avoid falling asleep during Adoration, or getting distracted? Ive always gone before with a Heart to Heart Talk mentality, that Jesus wants us there, and is truely greatful for us just even being there.

What can be done about this?

Thank You very much, God Bless.

TeresaBenedicta

It's not necessarily a bad thing. Resting with Our Lord can be a very refreshing experience and perhaps that's what you need right now.

Distraction can be turned into prayers. "I wonder what I'll eat for dinner tonight..." [i]Lord, thank you for the many gifts and blessings that you have showered upon me, bless those who will go hungry tonight.[/i] Ya know, that kind of thing.

But back to the falling asleep... Really, I wouldn't let it bother you too much. Obviously we don't want to go into adoration thinking that we're going to have a nap time. But if we do fall asleep, the Lord is still pleased with us.

If it's really getting to you, though, maybe try finding a different time to pray? Split your holy hour in different ways-- between spiritual reading, meditation, kneeling, sitting, etc.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='White Knight' post='1940025' date='Aug 3 2009, 08:30 PM']1) Ive been to Eucharistic Adoration before and not tired at all, but sometimes while reflecting or meditating, I find myself drifting off or even passing out, even when I haven't been working that day. "Like a day off" or something, I still find it very difficult to stay focused and give the proper reflection time, even when I'm not tired.

2) Ive also have sometimes been only getting so much sleep like 3-5 hours of sleep, at night, then getting to work by 7AM , then go to Adoration after work to spend some time with the Lord, even though I'm tired afterwards, I still go, and I still fall asleep. and I never get to properly reflect during that Hour, and I just feel very bad about it.[/quote]

What is "proper" reflection? Is there some rule that says you have to say or do anything during Adoration? Should you require yourself to do anything more than what Jesus is doing?

[quote name='White Knight' post='1940025' date='Aug 3 2009, 08:30 PM']3) Even when I can focus, sometimes Ive been getting so distracted mentally that I cannot even focus on what is right in front of me, Our Blessed Lord Jesus Christ, Truely, Really, and Substanically Present Under the appearances of Bread and Wine, yet no longer Bread and Wine, but Jesus Christ Himself. My Mind drifts when trying to focus on this deep mystery, and I feel bad for not giving it its respect.[/quote]

Stop trying to focus on the mystery. Just be there. Knowing Christ is a relationship and an experience... when we are with our friends, we aren't focusing intensely on who they are; we're relaxed and enjoying each others' company. No need to turn it into a chore like everything else in life. :)

Maybe you should take a beer with you...

just kidding.

Edited by LouisvilleFan

+J.M.J.+
[quote name='White Knight' post='1940025' date='Aug 3 2009, 05:30 PM']What can be done to avoid falling asleep during Adoration, or getting distracted? Ive always gone before with a Heart to Heart Talk mentality, that Jesus wants us there, and is truely greatful for us just even being there.[/quote]
i remember a couple of times that i fell asleep during adoration, it was because it was too warm in the chapel. how is the temperature in the chapel? if it's too warm, that would definitely contribute to a 'drowsy' feeling.

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1940057' date='Aug 3 2009, 06:16 PM']If it's really getting to you, though, maybe try finding a different time to pray? Split your holy hour in different ways-- between spiritual reading, meditation, kneeling, sitting, etc.[/quote]
this is a good idea too. walk around (if you can), kneel on the ground (if you can).

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1940353' date='Aug 4 2009, 09:52 AM']Stop trying to focus on the mystery. Just be there. Knowing Christ is a relationship and an experience... when we are with our friends, we aren't focusing intensely on who they are; we're relaxed and enjoying each others' company. No need to turn it into a chore like everything else in life. :)

Maybe you should take a beer with you...

just kidding.[/quote]
:yes: sometimes i just sit and pour my heart out to Jesus. sometimes i just sit and listen. sometimes i pray a rosary or LOTH. there's no set thing you should feel that you 'have' to do.

and i'm totally with the beer idea ;)

When sitting, I find it so easy to fall asleep; when kneeling, it is more difficult. Particularly when a kneeler is not used, then it is very hard.

Aaron, St. Josemaria Escriva said that an hour spent entirely merely with constant distractions and attempts to be interiorly silent in response... is very well spent indeed.

Never feel guilty for not doing what you cannot do - it is only what you can do that God judges you for. Pray as best you can, and worry not about your weakness. If God controls our strength and our weakness both, how is one a problem and the other not? Consider that everything that is not in your hands in God's... and then give Him all that is in yours. And worry not.

Excellent advice from TeresaBenedicta and Thessalonian. What better indication than this? To be so relaxed and intimate with Our Lord you find yourself resting in His arms, within His very Heart? Every moment we spend with Him delights Him; He knows of our human weaknesses and frailities. Let your sleepiness pass...don't pay too much attention to it other than to rejoice you can share all with Him...and when you awake refreshed, adore Him with your whole mind and soul! He is Mercy beyond Mercy and in that, He loves and treasures each effort you bring to Him.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='White Knight' post='1940025' date='Aug 3 2009, 08:30 PM']Hey guys, its Aaron "White Knight" for those who dont know me. Anyway heres the topic subject.

I just got off work at 4:00PM CST time, and went to the Bank and then to Church to spend time in Prayer while visiting Jesus in the Most Blessed Sacrament, and I probally was awake for about only 15 minutes in prayer, then I fell asleep for aleast 45 minutes and I woke up about 5:30PM CST, Still very tired and disspointed that I once again have fallen asleep during Eucharistic Adoration, Ive been going exhausted lately, because of my job. the last 3 or four times aleast Ive fallen asleep in or out that is during the Holy Hour, I feel very bad about this, and want to give the Lord the proper time He Deserves, but often Ive been showing up to the Holy Hours for Eucharistic Adoration very tired and sleepy, and hard to focus, or to even listen to the Lord, its been hard to have a heart to heart talk, especially when I haven't been able to focus during Adoration.

Here are my occurances.

1) Ive been to Eucharistic Adoration before and not tired at all, but sometimes while reflecting or meditating, I find myself drifting off or even passing out, even when I haven't been working that day. "Like a day off" or something, I still find it very difficult to stay focused and give the proper reflection time, even when I'm not tired.

2) Ive also have sometimes been only getting so much sleep like 3-5 hours of sleep, at night, then getting to work by 7AM , then go to Adoration after work to spend some time with the Lord, even though I'm tired afterwards, I still go, and I still fall asleep. and I never get to properly reflect during that Hour, and I just feel very bad about it.

3) Even when I can focus, sometimes Ive been getting so distracted mentally that I cannot even focus on what is right in front of me, Our Blessed Lord Jesus Christ, Truely, Really, and Substanically Present Under the appearances of Bread and Wine, yet no longer Bread and Wine, but Jesus Christ Himself. My Mind drifts when trying to focus on this deep mystery, and I feel bad for not giving it its respect.

What can be done to avoid falling asleep during Adoration, or getting distracted? Ive always gone before with a Heart to Heart Talk mentality, that Jesus wants us there, and is truely greatful for us just even being there.

What can be done about this?

Thank You very much, God Bless.[/quote]

When I start to fall asleep I sing Him a song :)

Fidei Defensor

When I was a kid, I went to a retreat where we had 24/7 adoration. We were required to have someone in the chapel at all times. I was the unfortunate one to get stuck with the 3-4 am shift. Lets just say, I don't remember anything about that particular hour of my life.

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1942913' date='Aug 7 2009, 04:54 PM']When I was a kid, I went to a retreat where we had 24/7 adoration. We were required to have someone in the chapel at all times. I was the unfortunate one to get stuck with the 3-4 am shift. Lets just say, I don't remember anything about that particular hour of my life.[/quote]
:shock:............ :lol:

Just a quick reply:

Archbishop Fulton Sheen Servant of God recommends in his book, "A Priest Is Not His Own," that coffee be drank before priests do a holy hour if it be early in the morning.

Following the same lines you could do it any time before a holy hour when tired.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1942833' date='Aug 7 2009, 03:47 PM']When I start to fall asleep I sing Him a song :)[/quote]

I would do this too, but I feel it would be a desecration... or perhaps, if I insist, Jesus will miraculously give me a better singing voice...

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1942913' date='Aug 7 2009, 05:54 PM']When I was a kid, I went to a retreat where we had 24/7 adoration. We were required to have someone in the chapel at all times. I was the unfortunate one to get stuck with the 3-4 am shift. Lets just say, I don't remember anything about that particular hour of my life.[/quote]

I also have trouble remembering things around that time of night... for different reasons...

[quote name='Slappo' post='1944389' date='Aug 9 2009, 03:52 PM']Just a quick reply:

Archbishop Fulton Sheen Servant of God recommends in his book, "A Priest Is Not His Own," that coffee be drank before priests do a holy hour if it be early in the morning.

Following the same lines you could do it any time before a holy hour when tired.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
a priest friend of mine calls coffee 'liquid charity'. :hehe:

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1945311' date='Aug 10 2009, 08:23 AM']I also have trouble remembering things around that time of night... for different reasons...[/quote]
:topsy: