An Old School Catholic Message Board

Fencing

Resurrexi

I am considering learning how to fence.

Does anyone else here know how to fence?

N.B., I am talking about this kind of fencing:

[img]http://www.kentfencing.co.uk/mediac/450_0/media/fencing.jpg[/img]

not this kind:

[img]http://www.calfinder.com/assets/images/blog/picket-fence.jpg[/img]

Nihil Obstat

I hear it's kinda pricey.
I was always interested in trying, but it's not on top of my priority list for martial arts to try out.

I preferred the épée. I have really long arms, and liked to be able to score anywhere on the body rather than being constrained. When and where I grew up, it was considered an important part of a young woman's education to learn to use the bow, the sword, the rifle, and be able to ride side saddle.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1941669' date='Aug 6 2009, 12:00 AM']I preferred the épée. I have really long arms, and liked to be able to score anywhere on the body rather than being constrained. When and where I grew up, it was considered an important part of a young woman's education to learn to use the bow, the sword, the rifle, and be able to ride side saddle.[/quote]
You can score anywhere with the sabre too, right? What's the difference between an épée and a sabre?

With the saber you can score with the side of the blade rather than just the point, but can only score from the waist up. You also have to deal with the whole "right of way" stuff with saber and foil that you don't have to with the épée.

Maximilianus

I was going to take up fencing until I found out that there are no fencing schools in my town.

Edited by Maximilianus

It has to do with whether you counter attack can count as a point. If you don't have the right of way, and you touch on a counter, it doesn't give you a point.

[quote name='Maximilianus' post='1941696' date='Aug 6 2009, 01:18 AM']I was going to take up fencing until I found out that there are no fencing schools in my town.[/quote]

I was going to take up fencing until I found out that I wouldn't actually get to KILL anybody. Drat!

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1941698' date='Aug 6 2009, 12:20 AM']It has to do with whether you counter attack can count as a point. If you don't have the right of way, and you touch on a counter, it doesn't give you a point.[/quote]
Sounds confusing. :wacko: Fencing is so quick, how do you have time to even work that all out? Lol.

Maximilianus

[quote name='Luigi' post='1941701' date='Aug 6 2009, 12:21 AM']I was going to take up fencing until I found out that I wouldn't actually get to KILL anybody. Drat![/quote]

I was kind of disappointed when I found out that competitive fencing is nothing like the actual martial form of swordplay. I would have still liked to learn though.

[quote name='Luigi' post='1941699' date='Aug 6 2009, 12:20 AM']You'd earn more money - and make yourself more useful to society - if you learned the second kind of fencing.[/quote]

What is the second kind of fencing?

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1941722' date='Aug 6 2009, 12:58 AM']What is the second kind of fencing?[/quote]
The kind with a fence.

txdinghysailor

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1941655' date='Aug 6 2009, 01:46 AM']I am considering learning how to fence.

Does anyone else here know how to fence?

N.B., I am talking about this kind of fencing:[/quote]

I know how to fence. I fenced for about 4 years. Qualified for the Junior Olympics, trained with a guy who's now on the US youth team and went to Hungary last year for worlds. What do you want to know?