An Old School Catholic Message Board

Baptized?

carmelite15

carmelite15

Ok well i was baptized not to long ago my sister did it for me but why i am tell you guys this is bc i am going in to RCIA this september and the un who is doing it says the one who are not baptized will be and for the ones who are will have to show something that tells them that they been baptized. can you guys help me out on this one what should tell the nun that my sister did for me? or not saying anie?

InHisLove726

I would ask your parish priest or the nun running the RCIA program what would be done in this instance. As long as your sister immersed or poured water over your head and used the Trinitarian formula:

[quote]"I baptize you in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit."[/quote]

then, the baptism is valid. You would need to request certification through your diocese, most likely.

If you cannot obtain certification, then you will probably go through a [i]conditional baptism due to lack of evidence[/i].

Also, since you have already been baptized, you would do well to receive the Sacrament of Penance before receiving Holy Communion in the event that you committed a mortal sin so you don't receive sacrilegiously. :saint:

Edited by InHisLove726

[quote name='carmelite15' post='1942491' date='Aug 6 2009, 09:28 PM']Ok well i was baptized not to long ago my sister did it for me but why i am tell you guys this is bc i am going in to RCIA this september and the un who is doing it says the one who are not baptized will be and for the ones who are will have to show something that tells them that they been baptized. can you guys help me out on this one what should tell the nun that my sister did for me? or not saying anie?[/quote]

A conditional baptism would be your best bet since you have no evidence. The first response is your best course of action, that and talk to your priest before hand and explain the situation.

Explain the situation to them, and they'll figure out what the best course of action is. They might have you conditionally baptized if they're not sure... but definitely explain the situation to them.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1942505' date='Aug 7 2009, 01:56 AM']Also, since you have already been baptized, you would do well to receive the Sacrament of Penance before receiving Holy Communion in the event that you committed a mortal sin so you don't receive sacrilegiously. :saint:[/quote]

Whether there is mortal sin on your soul or not, it's simply a good and healthy practice to receive regular Reconciliation. I've never been a fan of living in fear of mortal sin... we should definitely be aware of grave sins and do everything we can to avoid them, but in the process, we should look up to heavenly things and make sure we are living for God, not simply against evil.

I know none of this is new, but reminders are always helpful. I appreciate it when I get down on sin and junk. :smokey:

Archaeology cat

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1946992' date='Aug 12 2009, 05:37 PM']Whether there is mortal sin on your soul or not, it's simply a good and healthy practice to receive regular Reconciliation. I've never been a fan of living in fear of mortal sin... we should definitely be aware of grave sins and do everything we can to avoid them, but in the process, we should look up to heavenly things and make sure we are living for God, not simply against evil.

I know none of this is new, but reminders are always helpful. I appreciate it when I get down on sin and junk. :smokey:[/quote]
Agreed. :)

Marie-Therese

[quote name='budrikovs' post='1950099' date='Aug 15 2009, 09:02 PM']aaaaaaaaaaaa[/quote]

Keep shouting. And consider yourself reported.

[quote name='pat22' date='15 August 2009 - 08:31 AM' timestamp='1250339469' post='1949525']
huh, why did your sister have to baptize you? emergency?
[/quote]
well i askd her to i wanted my sins to be gone.

[quote name='Jon' date='09 August 2009 - 08:32 PM' timestamp='1249864366' post='1944666']
Would it be rude to ask how old you are?

120 reads and only one response??

Let's talk a bit.
[/quote]
i didnt see your thing, oh no am 16 and did you mean bye me? me and you talk a bit if you did mean me ok kool can we?