An Old School Catholic Message Board

Tv And Movies Stink These Days...

InHisLove726

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

We have a station out here called MeTV (and Me Two--another channel just like it) that only plays the old TV shows, even the old black and white ones like Burns & Allen. It's great! We watch a few mystery shows, Batman, Dragnet, and a few other occasional classics. Other than that we end up watching Food Network, TMC, and my sister and I enjoy watching a few shows on Cartoon Network. Other than my dad, that is all we watch. My dad tends to watch some 'interesting' things... :mellow:

InHisLove726

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1943418' date='Aug 8 2009, 08:15 AM']And, in my opinion a lot of "Christian" entertainment is, from an aesthetic standpoint, pure cr*p. Just because something depicts upstanding moral behavior doesn't mean it's a well-made piece of art. It's downright embarrassing sometimes.[/quote]

:yes:

I am so tired of Christian stuff just being plain boring! Like "The Ultimate Gift" or "7th Heaven." It is usually a snooze-fest. :(

If anyone is interested in good old-fashioned humor, you oughta check out the stand-up comic, Brian Regan. He is so funny without all the sexual innuendo or other wise cracks. ;)

tinytherese

My little brother likes to watch George Lopez and The Colbert Report. It bothers me because he's only seven years old. I know that he doesn't understand it all, but it still concerns me. I mean I remember once where he was watching an episode of George Lopez where the teenage daughter wanted to marry her boyfriend against the consent of her parents but since they wouldn't let her she said that she would just have her boyfriend get her pregnant! He shouldn't be watching this stuff at his age but my parents let him.

I totally agree that the standards of decency in prime time Television have just about hit rock bottom. I was shocked when I saw a little bit of "Two and a Half Men" at 7.45pm. There was so much sexual inuendo and glorification of smart-mouth comments and disrespect to others, and at prime children's vewing time.

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='Era Might' post='1943497' date='Aug 8 2009, 11:19 AM']I would like to live without a television, but I like to watch sports. That's really the only thing I follow regularly on television.[/quote]

I watch hockey through ESPN 360 Europe online, so I'm good. :topsy: I wouldn't mind having a larger TV or monitor for watching movies, though.

Edited by Ash Wednesday

The well of imagination in Hollywood has been running low on water for quite some time. They would really be stuck in a rut these days if it wasn't for comic books. Hollywood misconstrues pushing the boundaries of creativity with pushing the boundaries of decorum.

InHisLove726

I don't even like to go to the movie theater anymore these days because I can't tell you how many times I have been embarrassed by the scenes in the movie. Good thing it was dark in there and no one could tell how red my face was!

(yes, I'm a bit of a prude. :)) )

I saw UP this summer and thought was great. Another Pixar classic.

I, too, love PBS. Great nature docs and BBC series. One prob I can't always understand those dudes--they don't talk good and they talk fast. But I have Netflix, which has saved my life, bec I can rent the dvds and turn on the ENGLISH SUBTITLES! Ha! oh, well....

I'm watching MI-5 (aka Spooks in the UK). Great, but not for everyone.

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1943495' date='Aug 8 2009, 12:12 PM']My husband and I do not have a television, and at the moment, we don't miss it for the most part.[/quote]

We do not have tv either; and haven't for years. Who needs that stuff when you have the Internet? We get radio and video and even streaming EWTN. We aren't missing any of the good stuff at all.

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1944287' date='Aug 9 2009, 01:37 PM']I don't even like to go to the movie theater anymore these days because I can't tell you how many times I have been embarrassed by the scenes in the movie. Good thing it was dark in there and no one could tell how red my face was!

(yes, I'm a bit of a prude. :)) )[/quote]

I'm a prude, too. Old fashioned. Another reason I like Netflix (sorry...no, they don't pay me). You can rent just what you want to see and if it's a little racy, blush in the privacy of your very own room.

Have you seen "Room With A View"? Great Merchant Ivory classic. It's rated R for violence and nudity, believe it or not, but you wouldn't realize it unless you were warned before hand. (Violence? -The heroine accidentally witnesses a killing on a square in Florence. Nudity? she and friends happen upon two men publically bathing in the forest in a pond--seen from a distance.)

There out to be a list of great/good movies for adults (beside Disney/Pixar classics) that aren't really dirty or violent.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1944323' date='Aug 9 2009, 08:54 PM']We do not have tv either; and haven't for years. Who needs that stuff when you have the Internet? We get radio and video and even streaming EWTN. We aren't missing any of the good stuff at all.[/quote]
Exactly!