An Old School Catholic Message Board

Like What Do You Think Christ To Have Spoken?

missionseeker

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Hassan' post='1944461' date='Aug 9 2009, 06:02 PM']He spoke pristine ecclesiastical Latin.[/quote]

:lol_roll:

Deus te Amat

[quote name='MIkolbe' post='1944219' date='Aug 9 2009, 01:48 PM']greek and aramaic[/quote]

Gramaic.

Seems very close to "grammar" to me. :mellow:

I would also like to provoke Resurrexi by pointing out that Matthew was neither the first Gospel written nor originally composed in Aramaic.

Despite that the Pontifical Biblical Commission may say.

BAM! :mellow:

[quote name='Hassan' post='1944491' date='Aug 9 2009, 06:18 PM']I would also like to provoke Resurrexi by pointing out that Matthew was neither the first Gospel written nor originally composed in Aramaic.[/quote]

I disagree. The earliest testimony from the Fathers states that Matthew was written in Aramaic and was written before the other three Gospels.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1944508' date='Aug 9 2009, 06:24 PM']I disagree. The earliest testimony from the Fathers states that Matthew was written in Aramaic and was written before the other three Gospels.[/quote]

Yet he had to translate Aramaic for his audience. :detective:

Unless the line explaining what "Eli Eli Lama Sabchthani" means was inserted by a later author :unsure:

[quote name='Hassan' post='1944513' date='Aug 9 2009, 06:26 PM']Unless the line explaining what "Eli Eli Lama Sabchthani" means was inserted by a later author :unsure:[/quote]

It was probably inserted by the translator of St. Matthew's Gospel from Aramaic into Greek.

Edited by Resurrexi

[quote name='Hassan' post='1944491' date='Aug 9 2009, 06:18 PM']I would also like to provoke Resurrexi by pointing out that Matthew was neither the first Gospel written nor originally composed in Aramaic.

Despite that the Pontifical Biblical Commission may say.

BAM! :mellow:[/quote]

Dude, why don't you just wave raw meat in front of the tiger cage?

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1944516' date='Aug 9 2009, 06:28 PM']Most Catholic scholars agree that Mark was written first, Matthew and Luke following.[/quote]

I really don't want to debate this again. There is already a thread in the Debate Table about this.

Deus te Amat

I want to add that we were taught both views in my Bible class at my traditionally Catholic University.

The biggest thing is that we just don't know. There is evidence and proof for both sides.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1944521' date='Aug 9 2009, 06:31 PM']Dude, why don't you just wave raw meat in front of the tiger cage?[/quote]

I like to live dangerously :smokey: